2 votes (7.69%)
7 votes (26.92%)
9 votes (34.61%)

26 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 115
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:12:54 AM permalink
I do not want to be, and have my children be, the targets for kidnapping. Winning a billion puts you in those crosshairs. I have put a buck or two into the large group pool at work,where if i win I get 1/100th or so of the jackpot. $10 million anonymously (basically) is all I want.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:31:47 AM permalink
Here's a good current overview on the tax implications of winning a large jackpot, and some ideas of what can be done about it:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/22/mega-millions-powerball-jackpots-come-with-big-tax-bite.html
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 53
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:39:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I do not want to be, and have my children be, the targets for kidnapping. Winning a billion puts you in those crosshairs. I have put a buck or two into the large group pool at work,where if i win I get 1/100th or so of the jackpot. $10 million anonymously (basically) is all I want.

I get where you are coming from, but I canít find any articles about lottery winners/family getting kidnapped for ransom.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
JohnnyQ
October 22nd, 2018 at 11:01:16 AM permalink
I just wanted to take this prime opportunity to complain about the lottery and their advertised jackpot. The value of Mega is nowhere near 1.6 billion, yet they are able to advertise it as such. Is there anything else someone can advertise the future value of a product or service?

I understand that this lying about jackpots has been built into our national consciousness over decades of various state governments abusing their monopoly, but that doesn't make it right. It's false advertising, a flat out lie, and it needs to stop.

Diatribe over. I'm going to go buy my tickets now.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 231
October 22nd, 2018 at 11:43:56 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My question is, where can I find some pricing on simple short-term derivatives? I assume that some of the huge banks will sell derivatives, if I'm using the term correctly, that involve hundreds of millions of dollars. Thank you.

What kind of derivatives? That is a broad question. This could mean stock options (anyone can buy with a few steps) to credit default swaps (hard to buy even for garage hedge funds) to other items.

For the most part a person needs to be an accredited investor to get into this kind of thing.

PM me if you want to know a little about stock options. The rest are above my investor grade.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 22nd, 2018 at 12:38:17 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I get where you are coming from, but I canít find any articles about lottery winners/family getting kidnapped for ransom.

Just regular murder. I'll take my chances if I win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare
BaccaratKid
BaccaratKid
  • Threads: 0
October 22nd, 2018 at 12:51:13 PM permalink
Where I live there is a bridge where cars pay to park. One only has to pay between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm, yet I always see people putting money or credit cards in after 6 pm (also, on weekends or holidays when there is no charge for parking). Do you think the meter rejects their payments?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 231
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:08:08 PM permalink
Quote: BaccaratKid

Where I live there is a bridge where cars pay to park. One only has to pay between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm, yet I always see people putting money or credit cards in after 6 pm (also, on weekends or holidays when there is no charge for parking). Do you think the meter rejects their payments?

Depends. I have had the meter change the message to "Free Parking" after 6. Others just take the payment. If it is smart enough for a CC the town should make it smart enough to announce when the fee is free.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:16:54 PM permalink
I'm not sure I care to see taxpayer money spent on preventing folks from voluntarily subsidizing said government.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
beachbumbabs
October 22nd, 2018 at 2:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Just regular murder. I'll take my chances if I win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare

first problem there is being in Florida.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW

• Jump to: