FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 25th, 2015 at 7:17:17 PM permalink
Okay, geography plays a role in this one so the dollars might be Aussie Dollars and some of the terminology is a bit strange: you know, milk bar instead of convenience store. And sure those towns do have strange names, but its really the same thing over and over: Just how foolishly trusting can people be???

Once again a "pool" of employees and one of them claims he bought two tickets and only HIS ticket won, the group's ticket did not.

Employees became suspicious with days off, champagne, resignations and millions spent on new real estate and repairs.

At issue so far is twenty million dollars and whether Lottery Records can be revealed to determine possible purchase of multiple tickets and what presumptions should apply in the absence of basic agreements.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 25th, 2015 at 7:22:07 PM permalink
And yet another group of idiots that don't get copies prior to the drawing.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 25th, 2015 at 7:29:02 PM permalink
yeah, can't believe that! No way I could have gotten away without scanning and sending out a pdf before the drawing when I ran our office's pools.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 25th, 2015 at 7:39:27 PM permalink
Whatever happened with that last one? I think it was a McDonald's worker. I tried go ogling but I was failing.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
May 25th, 2015 at 8:03:37 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Whatever happened with that last one? I think it was a McDonald's worker. I tried go ogling but I was failing.

Go ogling? hmmm...that one little space changes everything:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
May 25th, 2015 at 8:36:33 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

LOL
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 25th, 2015 at 9:42:03 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

A PERFECT illustration, however. One moment's failure to proof read ... a lapse unlike his normal self, in what way should the courts react?

Do you send the employees in the pool out the courtroom door saying we don't protect idiots who fail to take basic steps to protect their "investments" and have an agreed upon system in place? Should courts say: once you were so trusting you can't come into court with DeerSlayers and large magnifying glasses and try to rectify a wrong that was of such obvious potentiality?

An oversight? A lapse of common sense? The tickets were twenty dollars, but do you draw a line a one dollar? Or do draw a line at common sense and keep such actions out of the judicial system.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 26th, 2015 at 6:46:08 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Once again a "pool" of employees and one of them claims he bought two tickets and only HIS ticket won, the group's ticket did not.

Nothing remotely new about this; this was the plot of a sketch on The Tracey Ullman Show back in 1987, albeit with two best friends - and, in fact, there was a conversation between the one who didn't buy the tickets and another friend, along the lines of, "Did you get it in writing?" "Why would I do that? She's my best friend!" "You're screwed." (The main reason I remember this: right after it first aired was the first ever appearance of Homer and Bart Simpson on TV.)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
May 26th, 2015 at 7:22:43 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Do you send the employees in the pool out the courtroom door saying we don't protect idiots who fail to take basic steps to protect their "investments" and have an agreed upon system in place? Should courts say: once you were so trusting you can't come into court with DeerSlayers and large magnifying glasses and try to rectify a wrong that was of such obvious potentiality?

Is it different than a cashier who misleads a customer into thinking the lottery/scratch ticket is worthless so the cashier can cash it?''

As far as I know, all the lottery and scratch tickets give a customer a way to check the winning status before he or she is actually fooled by the cashier. So, you could say in every instance the customer should have known better, or at least he/she could have known better.

But still they prosecute the cashiers who they catch doing this even though the customer could be blamed for not being vigilant.

If we think that this guy did indeed take advantage of the ignorance of the rest of the group, how much is he accountable for. Anything?

EDIT- I know lottery systems have tried to install more safeguards like letting you scan your own ticket, and not handing it to anyone, but I still seem to read about cases of the above once in awhile.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: