Torghatten
Torghatten
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 43
April 20th, 2015 at 5:10:35 AM permalink
Scroll down to end: http://bridge.no/var/ruter/html/0200/2015-04-18kmpar2015.htm?hc_location=ufi and look at last 3 hands.

What are the odds that those are dealt fair. (Every player get a void each 3 hands in row, and on last one both sides have it in same color!)

Not that it matter much, but most likely the last 3 boards are dealt separately
Mosca
Mosca
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
  • Threads: 176
  • Posts: 3527
April 20th, 2015 at 6:21:42 AM permalink
Quote: Torghatten

Scroll down to end: http://bridge.no/var/ruter/html/0200/2015-04-18kmpar2015.htm?hc_location=ufi and look at last 3 hands.

What are the odds that those are dealt fair. (Every player get a void each 3 hands in row, and on last one both sides have it in same color!)

Not that it matter much, but most likely the last 3 boards are dealt separately



I don't know the odds, but my understanding has always been that duplicate boards were chosen to be challenging, and that "normal" deals were passed over. A tournament full of ordinary 2 spades contracts wouldn't be much fun. The last hand looked interesting. Top score went to the team that bid the slam, everyone who went for the Grand went down.

I haven't played in years, but my 87 year old father is a grand life master who still teaches the game to those who want to learn. It is a fascinating game but I don't have the patience for it, and when I was of college age all the people I knew who played (contract) were more fond of yelling and berating their partners, a scene which I didn't enjoy.
NO KILL I
Torghatten
Torghatten
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 43
April 20th, 2015 at 7:36:33 AM permalink
In all "official" tournaments. (From world championship to a club event) only RNGs that deal complete randoms deal are legal to use. (some exception exist, like goulash tournaments which is mostly played online)

It is a common misunderstanding that duplicate boards have to many "odd" boards, but in fact its hand given bridge that have to few as people dosent shuffle good enough.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 13577
April 20th, 2015 at 12:24:00 PM permalink
Quote: Torghatten

In all "official" tournaments. (From world championship to a club event) only RNGs that deal complete randoms deal are legal to use. (some exception exist, like goulash tournaments which is mostly played online)

It is a common misunderstanding that duplicate boards have to many "odd" boards, but in fact its hand given bridge that have to few as people dosent shuffle good enough.



It's been almost 20 years since I played competition duplicate, and things have changed a lot in how the hands are determined. However, I too would be suspicious of the last 3 hands with all the voids. OTOH, each card has to be somewhere, and a void in one suit/hand makes it that much more likely that at least one other hand will have a different void. But voids in all hands? A single occurrence of this is so rare, when I was playing weekly, I think I saw it maybe once a year. For it to happen 3 hands running almost screams pre-set. And I don't recall EVER having matching voids in a partnership, though I've seen matching voids in declarer/one defender several times.

The great equalizer though, is unless all pairs didn't have to play all hands, everyone had to deal with this. And your scoresheet seems to indicate that all 22 pairs had to negotiate these hands.

You're making me miss bridge, though; I may have to go find an online game I can enjoy and a partner of similar skills to build with. Thanks for reminding me how much I loved the game!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Torghatten
Torghatten
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 43
April 20th, 2015 at 2:29:57 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs


You're making me miss bridge, though; I may have to go find an online game I can enjoy and a partner of similar skills to build with. Thanks for reminding me how much I loved the game!



You're welcome :)

The most popular online site is http://www.bridgebase.com

  • Jump to: