Thread Rating:

Riva
Riva
  • Threads: 73
September 25th, 2013 at 1:44:32 PM permalink
Yet another donation has arrived at our school. This time it is a chuck-a-luck game. The rules seem fairly simple, mostly 1 to 1. However, there is nothing printed on the layout spot listing the payout for triples. Is this pretty much a house call? I'm thinking either 5-1 or 10 to one.

Also, are there any other side bets on this game that can be played?

Once again, thanks in advance for any input.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 25th, 2013 at 1:46:09 PM permalink
Check this site out: https://wizardofodds.com/games/chuck-a-luck/
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 25th, 2013 at 3:23:10 PM permalink
Quote: Riva

Yet another donation has arrived at our school.

Beware these donations. You don't know how the devices have been stored or if a wheel is gaffed. Usually carney equipment is in good condition because it is disassembled and moved so often, but you might want to check.

I'd sure wonder about someone donating a wheel and then showing up at a "charity benefit" without charity being in their hearts and minds at all.
Riva
Riva
September 25th, 2013 at 5:00:26 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Check this site out: https://wizardofodds.com/games/chuck-a-luck/

I am thinking that the original poster in this thread inverted his/her tables with regard to the filed bet. When you increase the number of winning bets for the player, you decrease the house edge. Am I right, or what?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 25th, 2013 at 5:09:30 PM permalink

I am thinking that the original poster in this thread inverted his/her tables with regard to the filed bet. When you increase the number of winning bets for the player, you decrease the house edge. Am I right, or what?

You're kind of right? The first paytable includes 5-8 and 13-16. The second paytable includes 3-7 and 13-18. With 3 dice, there are more ways to make an 8 than there are to make 3, 4, 17 and 18. So, even having 4 more numbers, there are actually fewer winning rolls on the second paytable. The odds of winning on table 1 are 104/216, and the odds of winning on the second paytable are 91/216.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Riva
Riva
September 26th, 2013 at 10:41:41 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

You're kind of right? The first paytable includes 5-8 and 13-16. The second paytable includes 3-7 and 13-18. With 3 dice, there are more ways to make an 8 than there are to make 3, 4, 17 and 18. So, even having 4 more numbers, there are actually fewer winning rolls on the second paytable. The odds of winning on table 1 are 104/216, and the odds of winning on the second paytable are 91/216.

Wow, this forum continues to amaze me. Thanks for the information.

I am going to make a custom table/layout for this game, just like we do for our other games. It will be 10' x 42" and have two layouts on it. It will handle 10-12 players with stools for sitting.

The "Field" will read 3-7 and 13-18. "Any Triple" will pay 10:1. Everything else will be 1:1 and, triples will smash odd/evens and high/lows.

Thanks again.
Riva
Riva
September 30th, 2013 at 7:39:35 PM permalink
OK...some more "chuck-a-luck" questions based on PM's and other info....

Let's say somebody wagers $5 on say, the number 4 and, the 4 appears two times on the dice. The player would be paid $10 on top of his/her $4 wager, correct? Now, let's say the same wager is placed and the number 4, and the 4 appears 3 times on the dice.

Now, I am prepared to pay 10:1 on a "triple" when the bet is placed in the "any triple" box. Should I pay 10:1 on this wager or, 3:1?

I am trying to strike a balance why anyone would ever wager in the "any triple" box when, if they simply bet a number and a triple appears, they will get paid 10:1. It appears that the payout on the "any triple" has to be greater than if a triple comes up on a number bet? Help!

Also, somebody suggested this other wager for chuck-a-luck. It's called "specific number". Basically, the player can wager any amount that the sum total (any combination) of the three rolled dice will equal 3-18. Too me, this is "a field bet on steroids" however, I have no way to calculate the odds and/or possible payouts, if we want to include this wager in the game. Someone also suggested that if we do this bet, we "bar" the 3 and 18.

Again, this is another enticing bet but, the payout has too rich enough for the player in order to make the wager in the first place and, safe enough for the house to offer. Thoughts on either/both?

Thanks.
Riva
Riva
October 2nd, 2013 at 6:51:57 AM permalink

OK...some more "chuck-a-luck" questions based on PM's and other info....

Let's say somebody wagers $5 on say, the number 4 and, the 4 appears two times on the dice. The player would be paid $10 on top of his/her $4 wager, correct? Now, let's say the same wager is placed and the number 4, and the 4 appears 3 times on the dice.

Now, I am prepared to pay 10:1 on a "triple" when the bet is placed in the "any triple" box. Should I pay 10:1 on this wager or, 3:1?

I am trying to strike a balance why anyone would ever wager in the "any triple" box when, if they simply bet a number and a triple appears, they will get paid 10:1. It appears that the payout on the "any triple" has to be greater than if a triple comes up on a number bet? Help!

Also, somebody suggested this other wager for chuck-a-luck. It's called "specific number". Basically, the player can wager any amount that the sum total (any combination) of the three rolled dice will equal 3-18. Too me, this is "a field bet on steroids" however, I have no way to calculate the odds and/or possible payouts, if we want to include this wager in the game. Someone also suggested that if we do this bet, we "bar" the 3 and 18.

Again, this is another enticing bet but, the payout has too rich enough for the player in order to make the wager in the first place and, safe enough for the house to offer. Thoughts on either/both?

Thanks.

Well, I was able to answer my own question regarding the "specific number" in Chuck-a-luck. The answer was doing some research on the game "'sic bo" where it has the exact same bet and lists the respective payouts for each number between 4-17.

For our charitable game, I plan to have a custom layout printed up but the payouts will be reduced by about 30% respectively. Wondering what the house edge might be for the following? "Specific number" followed by the 'reduced' payout. Thanks

10:4 9:5, 8:6, 7:8, 6:12, 5:20, 4:40, 17:40, 16:20, 15:12, 14: 8, 13:6, 12:5, 11:4

Thanks
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 2nd, 2013 at 12:54:53 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Beware these donations. You don't know how the devices have been stored or if a wheel is gaffed. Usually carney equipment is in good condition because it is disassembled and moved so often, but you might want to check.

I'd sure wonder about someone donating a wheel and then showing up at a "charity benefit" without charity being in their hearts and minds at all.

That's why you replace the dice the donator supplied with your own.
  • Jump to: