1 vote (9.09%)
1 vote (9.09%)
6 votes (54.54%)

11 members have voted

Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 40
September 18th, 2013 at 11:39:09 AM permalink
Attention degenerate gamblers: There is a new gambling opportunity in Switzerland!

- Pick your prize among all the products offered in your local supermarket / department store (must fit in personal bag).

- Roll a die:

1-5 win the prize
6 get indicted for shoplifting (and get fired)

Get the story here (in German):

http://www.handelszeitung.ch/unternehmen/coop-kontrolliert-mitarbeiter-wuerfel-497287

So - would you take that bet?
(Swiss shop assistants make 60k a year btw...)

I might explain later for the non-German speaking minority...
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
November 12th, 2013 at 3:43:04 PM permalink
Quote: Canyonero

Attention degenerate gamblers: There is a new gambling opportunity in Switzerland!

- Pick your prize among all the products offered in your local supermarket / department store (must fit in personal bag).

- Roll a die:

1-5 win the prize
6 get indicted for shoplifting (and get fired)

Get the story here (in German):

http://www.handelszeitung.ch/unternehmen/coop-kontrolliert-mitarbeiter-wuerfel-497287

So - would you take that bet?
(Swiss shop assistants make 60k a year btw...)

I might explain later for the non-German speaking minority...

Depends on the expected value of the prize. It would have to be one hell of a prize to risk losing my job and being indicted.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
November 12th, 2013 at 3:54:23 PM permalink
This is not a gamble - this is a theft control measure. Whoever rolls a 6 will have their bags searched before leaving. The employees do not have a choice - they roll or do not work. If you are feeling lucky enough to steal that day and you don't roll a 6, you just got away with it. This is not some random game people are playing - it is for the store employees and just a way to make it (somewhat) random for searches.

Quote:

in the Coop Group, each employee must be rolling over the counter dice at the end of the day. The person who rolls a six, then must open their bags for a theft control. Which is performed by the branch manager.

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 12th, 2013 at 4:20:35 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

This is not a gamble - this is a theft control measure. Whoever rolls a 6 will have their bags searched before leaving. The employees do not have a choice - they roll or do not work. If you are feeling lucky enough to steal that day and you don't roll a 6, you just got away with it. This is not some random game people are playing - it is for the store employees and just a way to make it (somewhat) random for searches.

Reminds me of the Cancun airport. Press a button, if you get green, off you go. Get red, you're the unlucky bastard who has to open your bags up. From what I can tell, the odds are roughly 1 in 4 they'll check there. And of course it's not worth it here, because you'll get caught fairly quickly, lose your job, and get a record, which will screw you for other 60k jobs...60k euro? Seriously? Jesus.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
November 14th, 2013 at 1:23:29 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

60k euro? Seriously? Jesus.

60k Swiss francs, more realistically.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
November 14th, 2013 at 2:02:52 AM permalink
That's still more than US$60k, and a hell of a lot more than a store clerk is likely to make in most of the US.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
  • Jump to: