Lemon
Lemon
  • Threads: 2
December 3rd, 2018 at 8:58:37 PM permalink
During live online dealer dealt blackjack

I've noticed that after all the cards are dealt when the dealer has an ace shown insurance is offered to the players and then the dealer flips over their face down card with a BJ or play carries on. Obviously the computer software knows the value of the face down card.

Now, this is what is bothering me.

When the dealer doesn't have an ace. Let's say the dealer has an 8. After all of the action by the players has taken place the dealer places their hand on the face down dealer card and slides it back towards the shoe and over the scanner AGAIN and then flips it over to reveal it's value to the players.

So how and why when the dealer has an Ace is that hidden card not scanned manually a second time by the dealer? or why are all non Ace cards scanned a second time?

Can anyone explain? Surely the computer software knows the value of the cards the first time they cross the scanner.

Edit: During live online dealer dealt blackjack
Last edited by: Lemon on Dec 3, 2018
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
December 3rd, 2018 at 9:14:31 PM permalink
What site are you playing? Are you describing a video blackjack game or a broadcast live table game?
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Lemon
Lemon
  • Threads: 2
December 3rd, 2018 at 9:24:12 PM permalink
Betway and Ladbrokes both regulated in the UK. Live online Blackjack with real human dealers.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 4th, 2018 at 1:34:03 AM permalink
Quote: Lemon

During live online dealer dealt blackjack...

When the dealer doesn't have an ace. Let's say the dealer has an 8. After all of the action by the players has taken place the dealer places their hand on the face down dealer card and slides it back towards the shoe and over the scanner AGAIN and then flips it over to reveal it's value to the players.

So how and why when the dealer has an Ace is that hidden card not scanned manually a second time by the dealer? or why are all non Ace cards scanned a second time?

Oh, first off, welcome to the forum. Are you a fellow Brit?

As the game progresses and the cards are indeed scans, the computer is able to figure out where the cards have gone and will indeed know if the hole card is an Ace. Rescanning the non-ace has to happen, to tell the computer that the card has been revealed. It's not essential, but i believe that rescanning is also probably a sort of checksum. It's all about making sure the software is in sync with the game. The scanner has seen that card but unless its an ace, won't know that the dealer has turned it over (If it was ace, then he would have automatically turned it over after the insurance countdown.) If it's not an ace, he rescans it to tell the comp that he's revealed it.

Oh... and often you will see that the player card value boxes reveal the next card before the dealer even reaches for the shoe. that is not nefarious, it's just that the lag has built up in the video stream.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: