Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
May 29th, 2014 at 4:25:25 PM permalink
Bovada no longer accepts players from New Jersey. Existing players are still allowed to play. New Jersey joins Washington, Utah, Maryland and New York. You may want to make an account there if you don't have one in case your state is next since it appears existing players are allowed to play after a change in policy.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 31st, 2014 at 12:36:21 PM permalink
Quote: Pokeraddict

Bovada no longer accepts players from New Jersey. Existing players are still allowed to play. New Jersey joins Washington, Utah, Maryland and New York. You may want to make an account there if you don't have one in case your state is next since it appears existing players are allowed to play after a change in policy.

Washington accounts are allowed again, now. For about a year.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
May 31st, 2014 at 3:12:57 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I don't believe Washington state law has changed, so Internet wagering is illegal there:
http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/activities/internet-gambling.aspx
Is Bovada really accepting wagers from states that have expressly made it illegal?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
May 31st, 2014 at 5:33:58 PM permalink

I think officially they do not accept Washington players, though they are not vigilant about it. Maybe they could clear that up but they typically don't speak publicly about this type of stuff.
binary128
binary128
  • Threads: 5
June 1st, 2014 at 8:32:57 AM permalink
I use the NoScript add-on for my Firefox browsing. After my last update. I noticed the following link on their web site:

VPN Provider

Notice the quote from PCMag about a third of the way down the page.

Quote: PCMAG

PureVPN is really doing well to thwart government censors and snoops, as well as to access services that are geographically restricted.

I'm left to conclude that real access control for US online gambling, especially at the state level, is just silly.

Chris
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 1st, 2014 at 6:17:51 PM permalink
Quote: Pokeraddict

I think officially they do not accept Washington players, though they are not vigilant about it. Maybe they could clear that up but they typically don't speak publicly about this type of stuff.

I got this message in my Bovada account on April 18, 2013:
Quote:

Bovada is excited to re-open to residents in Washington

Dear [REDACTED], Due to the recent restructuring of our payment options we are able to once again offer service to residents of Washington State. We have gone ahead and re-opened your account, [REDACTED] so you can deposit and play with us again at any time. Regards, Bovada Service service@bovada.lv 1-888-263-0000

Quote: MathExtremist

I don't believe Washington state law has changed, so Internet wagering is illegal there:
http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/activities/internet-gambling.aspx
Is Bovada really accepting wagers from states that have expressly made it illegal?

Yes, online gambling is still illegal in WA state (as it is almost every in the US, isn't it?). I have heard it's a felony, but I haven't done the research myself. But Bovada apparently made some changes to their payout process (as noted above) to make it sufficiently easy to get your money out. It's still illegal and you're still gambling at your own risk.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 1st, 2014 at 6:48:39 PM permalink

Yes, online gambling is still illegal in WA state (as it is almost every in the US, isn't it?).

My understanding is that in most of the country it's not explicitly disallowed. One could argue that there are some federal laws that make it illegal, but as far as I know, they've never been tested in that way.

In WA, my understanding is that there is a specific state law that makes it a felony. So, it's a lot more clear-cut there.
  • Jump to: