Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1388
May 27th, 2012 at 7:56:37 PM permalink
This Thursday our guest is Frank Kneeland. Frank is the first of Bob's co-hosts on the show and author of The Secret World Of Poker Progressives .

Briefly, Frank used to be a paid player, and eventually ran teams of progressive jackpot hunters, mainly in video poker. His book is a combination of his story and the mathematics of progressives.

As always, I welcome questions you would like us to ask Frank.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
May 27th, 2012 at 8:44:38 PM permalink
How did he get the black from the coins off his hands. Did
he use a lot of retired people on the slot teams and did
he have trouble with the IRS.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
May 28th, 2012 at 12:28:02 AM permalink
Q for your guest: Did his team get into the intimidation thing where they tried to muscle in on favorable machines?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 28th, 2012 at 8:38:01 AM permalink
I look forward to it. I like Frank Kneeland a lot. Besides the video poker progressives, he has some interesting thoughts on cognitive biases and gambling heuristics that it would be interesting to hear about.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 28th, 2012 at 8:49:44 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

... he has some interesting thoughts on cognitive biases and gambling heuristics that it would be interesting to hear about.

Can you dumb that down a little for me so I can know what specifically to ask him?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 28th, 2012 at 8:58:46 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can you dumb that down a little for me so I can know what specifically to ask him?

It wasn't too smart to begin with :)

Basically, I've heard him talk about certain patterns and biases our mind ascribes to gambling results. (E.g., the "hot shooter," the "cold machine," what constitutes a "session," etc.) I guess I don't have a specific question, but its a subject area he seems to know a lot about.

For a more direct question, I would ask how he deals with losing between those progressive jackpots.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 28th, 2012 at 9:12:48 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Basically, I've heard him talk about certain patterns and biases our mind ascribes to gambling results. (E.g., the "hot shooter," the "cold machine," what constitutes a "session," etc.) I guess I don't have a specific question, but its a subject area he seems to know a lot about.

Carl Sagan once said that human beings are significance junkies. If a shooter makes ten consecutive points then it must be because he is hot or the vibe at the table. The fact of the matter is that the odds of him winning the next pass line bet is the same as the stone-cold shooter who did a two-roll seven-out the last three times at the plate. Any respectable gambling expert, and I would count Frank among them, would say the same thing. He might be offended that I would even need to ask about it.

Quote:

For a more direct question, I would ask how he deals with losing between those progressive jackpots.

I'm sure he would say that if it is a good bet then you just keep playing and don't worry about the past.
MrRalph
MrRalph
  • Threads: 17
May 30th, 2012 at 8:19:14 AM permalink
He has authored a well written and very informative book. A little deep in the math but without it you cannot know when a game or even a hand has gone positive enough to make it worth playing. He is definitely one of the sharpest tools in the shed. Good stories and humor as well.
fredfpdw
fredfpdw
  • Threads: 0
June 3rd, 2012 at 8:55:31 AM permalink
Great show, as always.

Re the "Must Hit By" progressives.
Just want to point out that Mickey Crimm, a previous guest on the show, posted on how to calculate the EV on these progressives (Dec 2010).
(& messages 110824, 110826)

And in true Mickey style, the posts are titled "The Fremont Street Commando does Nowhere, Nevada".

Fred
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
June 3rd, 2012 at 11:54:08 PM permalink
Great show again! I was waiting for a Frank Kneeland return ever since Munch came back for a visit.

Honestly, it would be kinda fun to get all four of you guys on at once: Wiz, Bob, Frank, and Munch. Or even just a co-host-only day of the 3 of you if Bob for whatever reason needed a break. This is the only radio show I actually follow. I believe it is in a class of it's own.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try

• Jump to: