5 votes (14.7%)
23 votes (67.64%)
6 votes (17.64%)

34 members have voted

kaysirtap
kaysirtap
  • Threads: 3
November 1st, 2011 at 1:58:09 PM permalink
When I learned to deal, I was taught that the dice had to be called before either of them were moved. Having said that, it is possible to determine the upward face by looking at the other sides.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
November 1st, 2011 at 2:26:45 PM permalink
Quote: kaysirtap

When I learned to deal, I was taught that the dice had to be called before either of them were moved. Having said that, it is possible to determine the upward face by looking at the other sides.

Yes! First, by looking at the four exposed sides you can narrow down the side on top to two possibilities.

If it is 1 or 6, the 2 and 3 form a V shape, pointing towards the 6.

If it is a 2 or 5, then if the high dot on the 3 is close to the 6, then the 2 is on top; if the high dot on the 3 is close to the 1, then the 5 is on top.

If it is a 3 or 4, then if the high dot on the 2 is close to the 6, then the 3 is on top; if the high dot on the 2 is close to the 1, then the 4 is on top.

Some cheap dice may not follow this convention, but Vegas-standard dice all should.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
November 1st, 2011 at 3:07:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yes! First, by looking at the four exposed sides you can narrow down the side on top to two possibilities.

If it is a 2 or 5, then if the high dot on the 3 is close to the 6, then the 2 is on top; if the high dot on the 3 is close to the 1, then the 5 is on top.

If it is a 3 or 4, then if the high dot on the 2 is close to the 6, then the 3 is on top; if the high dot on the 2 is close to the 1, then the 4 is on top.

Some cheap dice may not follow this convention, but Vegas-standard dice all should.

when i was in jail in maricopa county making dice, i would always make them this way and people thought that looked odd. i thought it looked odd any other way. a lot of mexicans who made dice would make a 2 as two dots across the die instead of at opposite corners. does anyone know if this is common practice in mexico?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 3:12:09 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

when i was in jail in maricopa county making dice, i would always make them this way and people thought that looked odd. i thought it looked odd any other way. a lot of mexicans who made dice would make a 2 as two dots across the die instead of at opposite corners. does anyone know if this is common practice in mexico?

Nareed? I can say that Chinese dice used in pai gow and sic bo put the two dots across the face like that.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
November 1st, 2011 at 3:18:07 PM permalink
is 2 lucky in china or something?

it seems so out of place in regards to how they arrange the rest of the dots on the other faces.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 1st, 2011 at 3:20:25 PM permalink

is 2 lucky in china or something?

No, nothing special about it, as far as I know. Just about all there is to know is that 4 is bad and 8 is good.
kaysirtap
kaysirtap
  • Threads: 3
November 1st, 2011 at 3:29:36 PM permalink

I believe if the bottom die were obstructed somehow and only two adjacent sides were visible, you would still be able to determine the upward face regardless of whether or not the 2 or 3 were showing.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 1st, 2011 at 3:30:32 PM permalink
Two across the horizontal makes two and three and four more distinguishable, I guess. Only Six has pips on the edge of the square. All the rest have pips in the corner or the centre.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 1st, 2011 at 3:37:57 PM permalink

Nareed?

Opposite corners in every board game and backgammon set I ever saw.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
November 2nd, 2011 at 2:16:25 AM permalink

when i was in jail in maricopa county making dice...

how did you go about making your own dice?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: