shaferdaniel
shaferdaniel
  • Threads: 5
September 23rd, 2011 at 6:43:00 PM permalink
Guys - I'm off to Vegas tomorrow from LA, to play craps. I have done a lot of research lately (thanks to a lot of you) and practiced on Bodog often but I don't get one thing -- the progressive betting strategy.

Lets say for simplicity's sake I'm at a $5 table with 3-4-5X odds, I am only playing the pass line and my bankroll is $500.

I know I should max my odds bets to reduce the house edge so my inclination is to bet max odds once the point is established. But when i win and want to press, that only leaves me with the option of increasing my pass line bet on the next come-out roll, since I am already maxing out odds.

Is this the best strategy -- put half my winnings on the pass line bet?

OR

do I bet more on the pass line initially and only bet 2X odds, then increase my odds bet to 3x, 4x, 5x, etc as I win?? I think Singer does it that way, maybe 98steps too.

Not sure if that's clear, basically looking for any advice on how to specifically press your bets when you're on a winning streak would be most appreciated.

THANKS
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 23rd, 2011 at 6:58:54 PM permalink
I press by using come bets to go to different numbers. Others will place numbers and just press the bets. Pressing the pass line is not a bad idea, but when you go from minimum to double the minimum you're betting twice the amount.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
September 23rd, 2011 at 7:17:27 PM permalink
I too most often press with come bets, but I think placing the 6 and/or 8 for $30 and then full pressing those bets when you are on a run is a fun thing to do. You are orginally putting out the same amount as a pass line bet with full odds (at the kind of table you mentioned) but when it hits you can keep on running with it and even increase the bet to take advantage of those runs.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:13:18 PM permalink
Placing full odds only reduces the house edge as a percentage of total bet (line plus odds). The actual house edge remains the same.

Playing 2x and pressing the odds can be a slow and cautious way to play, which is no ad thing. The odds increase the variance, and playing full odds can mean you have $30 out there on the line. You can decide if 5% of your bank roll is too much.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:31:22 PM permalink
I would press by placing additional come bets with full odds.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
shaferdaniel
shaferdaniel
September 23rd, 2011 at 8:58:15 PM permalink
Got it, thanks to all of you.

i'm going to place additional come bets with full odds, see how that goes

will let you all know.

Go Pats!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 24th, 2011 at 1:35:47 AM permalink
>Guys - I'm off to Vegas tomorrow from LA, to play craps.
Good luck.
>Lets say I'm at a $5 table with 3-4-5X odds, I am only playing the pass line and my bankroll is $500.
Then play a nice conservative game of PassLine plus Max Odds and additional Come Bets at the same Linebet plus Max Odds. Don't press the line bets amounts with your winnings. Odds bets remain optional but also optimal.

Sure you can go to a 10.00 line bet... that is what the 1.414 percent operates on anyway but at a 500.00 bankroll I'd stick to table minimums. Watch the drink tokes and dealer tokes too. Even if you get on a really hot roll, I'd keep to low line bets and maximum odds bets. Don't let exuberance suddenly lead you astray.
shaferdaniel
shaferdaniel
September 24th, 2011 at 6:23:12 AM permalink
great last advice fleastiff! thanks! We're off!
  • Jump to: