Knifedealer
Knifedealer
Joined: Feb 9, 2019
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 4
February 9th, 2019 at 11:31:06 AM permalink
Hi. New to the game and to this forum.
If a shooter hits the point, are they required to make a subsequent wager (e.g., a pass/no pass line bet) to reserve the right to continue shooting?

I've played a few times. I limit my wagers to pass line with odds and no more than 2 come bets, also with odds. I believe this strategy is called 3-point Molly. On the rare occasions when I'm shooting and I hit a point, I assumed I was required to make another pass line wager to continue to roll. If this isn't the case and if I happen to have come bets (with odds) up when I hit a point, I'd prefer to have my odds working on those come bets and shoot again, with no pass line bet.

Thoughts?
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 765
February 9th, 2019 at 11:38:41 AM permalink
Quote: Knifedealer

Hi. New to the game and to this forum.
If a shooter hits the point, are they required to make a subsequent wager (e.g., a pass/no pass line bet) to reserve the right to continue shooting?

I've played a few times. I limit my wagers to pass line with odds and no more than 2 come bets, also with odds. I believe this strategy is called 3-point Molly. On the rare occasions when I'm shooting and I hit a point, I assumed I was required to make another pass line wager to continue to roll. If this isn't the case and if I happen to have come bets (with odds) up when I hit a point, I'd prefer to have my odds working on those come bets and shoot again, with no pass line bet.

Thoughts?

You have to make a pass line or donít pass line wager to shoot.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 59
  • Posts: 7869
February 9th, 2019 at 11:46:43 AM permalink
Quote: Knifedealer

Hi. New to the game and to this forum.
If a shooter hits the point, are they required to make a subsequent wager (e.g., a pass/no pass line bet) to reserve the right to continue shooting?

I've played a few times. I limit my wagers to pass line with odds and no more than 2 come bets, also with odds. I believe this strategy is called 3-point Molly. On the rare occasions when I'm shooting and I hit a point, I assumed I was required to make another pass line wager to continue to roll. If this isn't the case and if I happen to have come bets (with odds) up when I hit a point, I'd prefer to have my odds working on those come bets and shoot again, with no pass line bet.

Thoughts?


You're required to make a line bet to shoot. There are, of course, some caveats. I'm not sure if these are "house rules" or actual regulations, but since there's nothing on the books for craps (AFAIK) in Nevada.....

1. Let's say someone is shooting at the table on the don't pass. Point is 5. You're the only other player, you make a come bet, and then the next roll the shooter is like, "Nah, I'm done." He grabs his DP bet and walks off. At this point, I reckon you'd be able to make a line bet and continue shooting where he left off.

2. You're the only shooter at the table, you have some come or don't come bets up, and you hit your point. You go to roll a come-out roll...and your bet loses...and now you're out of money. At this point, you would still be able to shoot the dice even though you wouldn't have a line bet.

3. At a place I briefly dealt, the casino would let the player shoot the dice without a line bet -- but this was very rare. It was basically only for big players on a reserved table, after a huge loss (almost tapped out), so that he could bet the last of his chips on a prop bet to try to get money back to stay in the game.
ďMan BabesĒ #AxelFabulous
Knifedealer
Knifedealer
Joined: Feb 9, 2019
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 4
February 10th, 2019 at 4:40:56 PM permalink
Thanks you both for chiming in. .
RS wrote, in part: "the shooter ... grabs his DP bet and walks off."
Aren't DP and Pass Line bets contract bets that cannot be taken down?
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
Joined: Dec 1, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 234
Thanks for this post from:
Knifedealer
February 10th, 2019 at 4:57:13 PM permalink
Quote: Knifedealer

Thanks you both for chiming in. .
RS wrote, in part: "the shooter ... grabs his DP bet and walks off."
Aren't DP and Pass Line bets contract bets that cannot be taken down?


If there is a point established: pass line bets cannot be taken down, don't pass line bets can be taken down.


The following is taken from New York state's gaming regulations (concerns your earlier question about shooter requirement):
Quote:

If, after making the come out point, the shooter elects not to place a pass or donít pass bet, and other wagers remain on the table with respect to come and/or donít come numbers, the craps stickperson or the mini craps dealer or stickperson shall offer the dice to the player immediately to the left of the previous shooter, as provided for in paragraph (3) of this subdivision. If there are no other players at the table, or if no other players at the table elect to make a pass or donít pass bet in order to shoot the dice and continue the game, the previous shooter shall be allowed to shoot the dice without a pass or donít pass bet only for the purpose of effecting a decision on the remaining come and/or donít come wagers. The on/off marker shall be placed on the donít pass line in the off position in front of the shooter in order to indicate that the shooter is rolling the dice only to effectuate a decision for those wagers remaining on the layout. Once the remaining come and/or donít come wagers have been decided or a player wishes to place a pass or donít pass bet, the game shall proceed.

KevinAA
KevinAA
Joined: Jul 6, 2017
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 230
February 10th, 2019 at 7:19:39 PM permalink
You can pass the dice to the next person if you want (i.e. don't wish to make a pass or don't pass bet).

If you're the only player at the table, I'm sure you can make prop bets and still shoot. Why would the casino turn down a huge house edge and force you to make a low edge bet or, worse yet, leave?
7craps
7craps
Joined: Jan 23, 2010
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 1633
February 10th, 2019 at 8:04:24 PM permalink
Quote: Knifedealer

On the rare occasions when I'm shooting and I hit a point, I assumed I was required to make another pass line wager to continue to roll. If this isn't the case and if I happen to have come bets (with odds) up when I hit a point, I'd prefer to have my odds working on those come bets and shoot again, with no pass line bet.

Thoughts?

the bold part is mine.
You assumption is about 50% correct, others have pointed out why and some exceptions that are up to the suit at the table.

You do or do not have your odds working on the come out roll?
Looks like you do not. Why not?

The dice really do not know it is the come out roll.
They are more interested in listening to the music.
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
boymimbo
boymimbo 
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5958
February 10th, 2019 at 8:24:10 PM permalink
Quote: KevinAA

You can pass the dice to the next person if you want (i.e. don't wish to make a pass or don't pass bet).

If you're the only player at the table, I'm sure you can make prop bets and still shoot. Why would the casino turn down a huge house edge and force you to make a low edge bet or, worse yet, leave?



Procedure may have them dictate you make a bet even if it's a doey don't on yourself.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Knifedealer
Knifedealer
Joined: Feb 9, 2019
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 4
February 11th, 2019 at 9:43:28 AM permalink
I'm trying to fully grasp the premise behind why the default status is "off" with respect to the odds bets that are affiliated with unresolved come bets on come out roll. Can anyone help me understand why?
pwcrabb
pwcrabb
Joined: May 15, 2010
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 58
February 13th, 2019 at 3:42:46 PM permalink
Hello Knifedealer

During the Pass Line come-out toss, the default status for some discretionary bets is "off" only because of longstanding tradition. There is no mathematical justification for this default status, which is boldly announced by the word OFF that is printed on the black side of the indicator puck.

Craps began centuries ago with only the Pass game. The Shooter rolled his dice on an unmarked surface. Almost half of his wins were by means of the Natural Winners, Eleven and Seven. He hoped very much for a Seven on his first roll. Side games were added as the decades passed. The Shooter occasionally would play these side games in addition to his main game. His Odds bets on Come numbers, Place bets, and other bets which would inconveniently lose to that desired come-out Seven were by common agreement suspended from action during that special toss. Other players whose bets were consistent with those of the Shooter were accorded the same privileges. When layouts were invented and pucks were introduced, the Shooter's ordinary preferences were indicated by labeling the puck.

At the same time, other players whose bets are contrary to those of the Shooter are assumed to desire a contrary outcome. Their bets are not controlled by the Shooter's preferences.

If any modern player desires to not accept the default status of his bets at any moment, then she must ask the dealer to place on one of her bets a small token announcing that separate status. That single token may control all of her bets.

  • Jump to: