Poll

No votes (0%)
5 votes (100%)

5 members have voted

technics
technics
  • Threads: 14
July 31st, 2014 at 5:19:04 PM permalink
If 2 friends start with the same bankroll, play at the same craps table, agree to pool & split their cash out money when done, one playing the pass line and the other playing the don't pass line, what would be the most likely result?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 31st, 2014 at 5:24:18 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
technics
technics
  • Threads: 14
July 31st, 2014 at 5:32:31 PM permalink
I messed up the poll here are my choices: Win/lose more; win/lose less; no effect
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
July 31st, 2014 at 5:34:34 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Lose money

Must work odds on comeout roll or not bet the come/dc bets -- first thing.

29% of all rolls are comeout rolls.
1/36 of those are 12's.

.29 * ( 1 / 36 ) * one unit loss every 124 rolls.

So on a $5 table, 124 rolls on average is about an hour and a half. So about $3 to $4 loss per hour on a $5 table.

I think this question gets answered something like once per month.

You can both win or lose if you bet come and DC and don't work odds. Otherwise you lose a unit for each 12 on the comeout.
aahigh.com
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 1st, 2014 at 3:21:10 AM permalink
Ask yourself this question: If 8 complete strangers walk up to the table and 4 are rightside bettors and 4 are darkside bettors, does the Pit Boss faint dead away? No, of course not. He is happy to see 8 bettors.

For one thing, each bet has negative expectation. Essentially the players are hedging each other's bets, lowering the variance, and the house likes lower variance. Our Pit Boss also knows on average 7 of those players will be making center table bets. You can fearlessly and openly state that you are a darkside bettor and your bud over there is rightside and see only smiles all around.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 1st, 2014 at 4:23:34 AM permalink
A few things to consider.

First of all, if you are both betting the same amounts and you bet $10 odds and the don't guy lays $12/15/20 (against the 6/8, 5/9, 4/10) respectively...then overall both of your bets will cancel out every time EXCEPT if a 12 is rolled on the come out roll, in which case your don't guy pushes and you (right-side) lose. That is the most obvious thing to consider.

Other things to consider: if the right-side player is betting come bets and the dark-side player is betting DC....the odds on the come bets should 'work' on come out rolls.

What happens if/when either player's bankroll is diminished (to $0 or not enough to continue betting)? If you lose exactly $100 and the dark-side guy wins $100 (let's assume no 12's are rolled on the come out)...then he's still able to play. If he continues playing, he could, in fact, continue winning...in which case, you guys would end up winning money overall!
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
August 1st, 2014 at 2:31:58 PM permalink
I did this with a friend to convert $1000 of free play into cash. I put $100 vouchers on pass and he bet $100 cash on don't. We went ten shooters getting a 12 once on a comeout.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 2nd, 2014 at 4:16:16 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I did this with a friend to convert $1000 of free play into cash. I put $100 vouchers on pass and he bet $100 cash on don't. We went ten shooters getting a 12 once on a comeout.

It can make sense to lower variance when there is something to be gained ... i.e., the picture is no longer -EV
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: