ClarkWGriswold
ClarkWGriswold
  • Threads: 8
August 2nd, 2013 at 9:08:19 AM permalink
If I want to play craps at a $5 table, and take single odds on the passline, would a $200 session bankroll be enough to play for a while?
What about if I wanted to place 6/8? Would an additional $200 be OK?
"I am your average American gambling idiot" - Me
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 2nd, 2013 at 10:12:43 AM permalink
If you only play a single pass bet with 1x odds ($5/$6/$5) and never press, sure. If you start pressing, variance goes up and you'll have a greater chance of hitting -$200.

$400 on a $5 table with one line bet, 1x odds, and $6 place 6/8 bets should last you a while. It would be rare for any shooter's hand to swing more than $25-$30 in either direction. Where it gets bumpy is when you start using multiple line bets and pressing. I used a $500 buy-in on a $15, 3/4/5x table recently. I played continuous come betting starting with $25/$30/$25 odds with the intention of pressing, though I never got quite that far. But each of my bets were approx. 10% of my initial buy-in, and I was going to have up to 6 at once, so I expected a very swingy session. I experienced swings of several hundred dollars each way.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
dicesitter
dicesitter
  • Threads: 32
August 3rd, 2013 at 12:05:16 AM permalink
Everyone has their own opinion of the amount of money you need to play
and stay in the game... if you want to play $22 as a starting bet, i suggest an
account of $2200. 1% of the money you have set aside to play craps.

NOw that does not mean you go to the table with $2200, you may choose to
take $200 at a time, and a stop loss at $100 would be reasonable.

The idea of a craps account is two fold. first it allows you to play without
using your atm or taking money away from a house payment. Second once you
have that account you may play more cautiously because you dont want to lose
it

Dicesetter
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 3rd, 2013 at 6:39:06 AM permalink
Quote: ClarkWGriswold

If I want to play craps at a $5 table, and take single odds on the passline, would a $200 session bankroll be enough to play for a while? What about if I wanted to place 6/8? Would an additional $200 be OK?

Here it is in "standard" 90 percent Risk of Ruin language:

If you want to play craps for four hours and have only a standard ten percent risk of being ruined by normal and customary variance,
then its:

5 dollar Pass Line, No odds, No tips to Dealers, No tips to waitress, No mistakes by you, No mistakes by Dealers, No drinks, No fatigue, average speed of play ... will require 20 units. So a starting sum of 100.00 in your bankroll should be enough if you can find a five dollar table and make no odds bets and no mistakes of any sort. And even this is only for a 90 percent avoidance of Ruin. Ten percent of the time you can play this very "spartan" game and still have normal variance wipe you out prior to the four hours mark. Please understand that I am not saying such a game is readily available anywhere but in a mathematician's mind. Five dollar tables are rare and when they exist they tend to go at ultra fast speeds because the crew is told straight out by management you keep those dice moving fast or we close this lousy five dollar game down but quick. So IF you can find a five dollar game that is appropriately leisurely and IF you can sit there being a prick for four hours who never tips the dealers and never tips the waitress and IF you can avoid any fatigue or mistakes or "mistakes" by pissed off dealers, you will have four hours at only ten percent risk of ruin.

NOW lets consider the REAL WORLD.
Five dollar tables tend to move the dice FAST.
Five dollar tables tend to have break in dealers and break in dealers by definition make mistakes.
No dealer, especially a lowly compensated break-in dealer, likes a prick who stands there for four hours and doesn't tip them one bit.
No waitress, especially in a grind joint, likes to drag it back and forth all day long without getting a tip from you. Even if you don't order drinks, you are taking up space at a table that could otherwise be used by someone who is not such a cheap prick. So if you have any sort of dispute do you really and truly expect the Box to announce "I rule in favor of the cheap prick who hasn't even given the waitress one lousy white chip all morning long"?
And so far, we are still at ONLY a PASS LINE Bet. NO ODDS, NO Fancy Don't Pass stuff, No placing the six and eight, etc

When you add in ODDS bets, Tips, mistakes, fatigue, a desire to Place the 6 and 8 from time to time and above all else a desire to go to the Dark Side from time to time should the spirit so move you, you are eroding the four hours or adding to the 20 units or both.

So for an average "real world" game with pass line odds, and occasional 6/8 bets, you will need 60 units. If you add in, tips and mistakes and fatigue you will probably need 80 units.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 3rd, 2013 at 7:25:41 AM permalink
I could see that, people often wonder about how I am content to just play Pass Line + Odds and $1.00 Fire Bet, but it's perfectly fine for me. I don't think I could play without my Odds Bets, though, and there's no way I could refrain from tipping...especially after a few winning points w/odds. "Dealer's got shoes!" And all of that jazz, maybe I just like being popular, I don't know...
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
  • Jump to: