Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
December 25th, 2012 at 6:32:01 PM permalink
Standard disclaimers apply. This is just a test to show the slow motion capabilities of the GoPro Hero3 camera, and not a demonstration of my shooting ability, so please refrain from comments about how the dice are bouncing all over the place.

http://youtu.be/vXSfu5QDDVA

I'm very happy with the technical abilities of this camera at 848x480x240fps. It even records audio and blows away the performance of anything that I know of up to multiple thousands of bucks.

It appears that you can't reduce the shutter speed to be faster than the framerate; the four face looks like the six face in the video of the left die due to the path that the pips on the four face travel during the four milliseconds of each frame. So there are some details that are hard to make out leading up to the initial touchdown even at 240hz. The JVC doesn't allow you to specify the shutter speed, but I believe the latest casio does. I haven't dug in far enough to know on the GoPro but guessing it's always a 4.167 ms exposure time per frame.

The video was recorded at 848x480@240 and converted and uploaded at 1280x720@30 -- no digital cropping or other editing was done to reflect the resolution and technical ability of the camera to capture high speed details.
aahigh.com
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
December 25th, 2012 at 7:59:01 PM permalink
pretty cool shot.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
December 29th, 2012 at 1:58:21 AM permalink
Looks good. The only thing that I would suggest would be zooming in a little and focusing on a smaller area of the table. Even in slow mo the pips are kinda hard to make out.

Also, how do you like the Heros? I was thinking of getting one to mount on my car for track days.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
December 29th, 2012 at 7:23:19 AM permalink
The GoPro Hero3 is marketed as the most versatile camera. I would go on to say that as a camera you get the most bang for your buck compared to any other camera in that price range. You do miss some features but it's an amazing camera.

The only reason not to have one would be if you just couldn't afford it or if you just don't like cameras or both.
aahigh.com
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
December 29th, 2012 at 2:32:12 PM permalink
Well, I am definitely not into cameras :) Track day videos would be useful, though, so I can see what I'm doing wrong, and also get other drivers (better than me) to comment and help me get better.
  • Jump to: