mhernandez116
mhernandez116
  • Threads: 2
September 8th, 2011 at 3:33:27 PM permalink
If I bother to count at all these days, it's with the A-5 count. As a rule, I prefer to make even bets just so I don't have to deal with weird BJ payoffs--ie., $10 instead of $5, $20 instead of $25.

This last trip it just occurred to me that counting systems have you bet more when the count is positive, but flat when it is not. I've never read anything about lowering your bet. Is there any advantage to lowering your standard unit when the count is negative? Say I normally bet $10--should I drop to $5 when the shoe is against me?
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 8th, 2011 at 3:43:51 PM permalink
Quote: mhernandez116

If I bother to count at all these days, it's with the A-5 count. As a rule, I prefer to make even bets just so I don't have to deal with weird BJ payoffs--ie., $10 instead of $5, $20 instead of $25.

This last trip it just occurred to me that counting systems have you bet more when the count is positive, but flat when it is not. I've never read anything about lowering your bet. Is there any advantage to lowering your standard unit when the count is negative? Say I normally bet $10--should I drop to $5 when the shoe is against me?

Most players use a minimum flat bet which is raised in favorable condtions. A more sophicated method is what you suggest, reduce if deck is poor, raise when deck is rich. However, there is a cost if you are a table minimum bettor, which is that you are raising your average bet and therefore you need a larger bankroll.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 8th, 2011 at 4:16:38 PM permalink
Why would you want to bet $10 if you could bet $5 when the count is neutral or negative ?
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
September 8th, 2011 at 4:43:17 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Why would you want to bet $10 if you could bet $5 when the count is neutral or negative ?

Because when the deck is rich you can raise your bets higher from the ten than the five without drawing attention. But,as you suggest, this comes at a cost.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
September 10th, 2011 at 3:38:20 AM permalink
Quote: matilda

Because when the deck is rich you can raise your bets higher from the ten than the five without drawing attention. But,as you suggest, this comes at a cost.

Very true. Betting two units instead of one just after buying in can cut your perceived betting spread in half. As long as the floor records it, you're good to go.
jamo1599
jamo1599
  • Threads: 8
September 19th, 2011 at 10:07:54 AM permalink
i've wondered the same thing before. If you can afford a min bet that allows you to reduce your bet when the deck is poor instead of playing through it with your same bet, seems like you would be much better off. I can afford a $5 unit right now, if i play at a $3 table i can lower my bet instead of leaving the table when things go bad, saving money. And like benbakdoff said, you can cut your perceived betting spread in half. (if a spread at a $3 table even draws that much attention)
  • Jump to: