seanythetank
seanythetank
Joined: Apr 29, 2018
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 13
May 5th, 2018 at 2:17:19 AM permalink
Does a larger than usual bet size mean a change in basic strategy? For instance, if someone bets $10 per hand, then decides to suddenly bet $500 on a single hand, is there a 'safer' way to play that specific hand, perhaps in regards to avoiding a bust?

I assume that the answer is No, and that basic strategy is the optimal way to play any given situation, but I've long ago learnt to not assume that I have the correct instinct in situations regarding gambling statistics :)
Nathan
Nathan
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3430
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
May 5th, 2018 at 6:19:28 AM permalink
Quote: seanythetank

Does a larger than usual bet size mean a change in basic strategy? For instance, if someone bets $10 per hand, then decides to suddenly bet $500 on a single hand, is there a 'safer' way to play that specific hand, perhaps in regards to avoiding a bust?

I assume that the answer is No, and that basic strategy is the optimal way to play any given situation, but I've long ago learnt to not assume that I have the correct instinct in situations regarding gambling statistics :)




I assume that there is no change in basic strategy but the volatility goes sky high. If you win playing at $500 a hand you could end up with $3,000. :D If you lose, get ready to cry like a newborn baby. :(
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 528
May 5th, 2018 at 8:00:53 AM permalink
Quote: seanythetank

Does a larger than usual bet size mean a change in basic strategy? For instance, if someone bets $10 per hand, then decides to suddenly bet $500 on a single hand, is there a 'safer' way to play that specific hand, perhaps in regards to avoiding a bust?



Your best play per-hand is still the basic strategy. The real issue is whether it made sense to jump from $10 to $500. I would recommend reading up on the Kelly Criterion
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2112
May 5th, 2018 at 8:06:17 AM permalink
Hand should be played the same way regardless of bet size, but I致e seen many people put up much larger than normal bets and then hesitate to split or double because of that.

If you normally bet $10 and then put up $500 and you get 8-8 vs a dealer 7, you gotta be ready to put up that other 500 and possibly even more.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10972
May 5th, 2018 at 8:41:07 AM permalink
What everyone else said, plus:

If you池e already thinking about deviating from basic strategy, maybe what you really should do is deviate from the plan to make that big of a bet.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
seanythetank
seanythetank
Joined: Apr 29, 2018
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 13
May 5th, 2018 at 9:19:28 AM permalink
Thanks guys, pretty much as I assumed was the case. :)

Quote: DJTeddyBear

If you池e already thinking about deviating from basic strategy, maybe what you really should do is deviate from the plan to make that big of a bet.



I promise that it's a purely hypothetical question from my personal standpoint; the most I have ever lost at a casino in one night is $300. I have witnessed a lot of players make sudden large wagers in the hopes of a one shot big win though, which is why I considered the question.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
Joined: Jul 9, 2010
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1033
May 5th, 2018 at 12:30:51 PM permalink
Flat betting all night can be a drag, but deciding to vary your bet because you池e bored or your 吐ree drink is whispering to you is bad strategy. Take a look at Wizard痴 The Ace/Five Count strategy. It痴 simple enough that it can be mastered in a few hours, and a simulation game is provided for practice. With a little preparation beforehand and minimal effort during play you can vary your bet at the right time and by the right amount when you have an advantage.

Other, better methods exist but take more time to master and are harder to apply during play. Search on this site for a series of articles by Romes if you are interested.
添ou don稚 bring a bone saw to a negotiation. - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
BlackjackGuy123
BlackjackGuy123
Joined: Jul 27, 2017
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 164
May 5th, 2018 at 1:29:08 PM permalink
Yes, expectation isn't the only criteria impacting on your blackjack decisions. If you significantly overbet your bankroll then you may be better off surrendering a close decision even though playing the hand has slightly higher EV in order to reduce your variance. Certain soft doubles such as A6 v 2 in a mildly positive count would certainly be best avoided if you bet a significant portion of your bankroll.

  • Jump to: