FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 263
April 30th, 2018 at 7:53:52 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Cant go wrong with A Frenchy's Grouper sandwich

There is another type of Grouper in Florida now. For five dollars you get a six dollar array of lottery tickets in a variety of games.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
April 30th, 2018 at 9:48:02 AM permalink
Quote: troopscott

Hardrocks blackjack is typically $15 with an occasional $10 table in the mornings

Plenty of VP machines to fill your day.

Lastly look at Berns steakhouse or Charlies steakhouse

https://bernssteakhouse.com

I would do berns and hit the sessert room afterwards.

I will second the Bern's suggestion. Note that if you do the kitchen & wine cellar (very impressive, BTW) tour after dinner, it will end at the dessert room. Just ask your waiter about the tour toward the end of your meal.

I would also suggest going to Clearwater Beach, as it is IMHO, one of the best beaches in Florida. But being from Hawaii, you are probably not easily impressed with a beach!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
April 30th, 2018 at 10:12:39 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

As a restaurateur I disagree. While you may find a rogue desperate operator almost out of business, every legitimate business carefully sources their product. Their reputation and investment is on the line in a tough industry every day. Successful businessís didnít get that way by risking customer safety to save a few dollars. Red Tide has been an issue almost annually and increases costs but is part of the business. No different than wings around the Super Bowl, you manage cost increases as part of daily management. The well known long term restaurants know this and are not serving bad fish.

As to what Babs said about quality compared to Hawaii I would agree, but I would throw Grouper in there as something you see in Florida restaurants and is very popular. Frenchyís is known for their Grouper sandwiches.

Yeah, Boz, I would have to agree. Grouper is outstanding on the Gulf. I would also suggest yellowfin tuna IF you're able to get it fresh that day, and served whole. Otherwise don't bother with it; you have to pick it off the bones done this way, but it's succulent and meaty. Has to be fresh, though, or it just tastes like trash fish.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
April 30th, 2018 at 10:22:31 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I will second the Bern's suggestion.

Wear a suit jacket
Its that kind of place
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabsJoeman
May 1st, 2018 at 6:43:35 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I will second the Bern's suggestion. Note that if you do the kitchen & wine cellar (very impressive, BTW) tour after dinner, it will end at the dessert room. Just ask your waiter about the tour toward the end of your meal.

I will third the Bern's suggestion.

It is a restaurant unique unto itself. In the 1970s I lived close to Bern's. I used to take dates to Bern's for dessert (long before the upstairs dessert bar) after a party or show or whatever. With no reservation, we could sit in the bar for a nightcap and dessert. My dates appreciated it, and they often showed that appreciation in other delightful ways.

Bern's boasted the largest wine cellar in the history of the world (according to Florida Trend magazine, Oct-2002, p. 82). Bern Laxer -- founder, with his wife, Gert -- bought two long-closed motels that were adjacent to the restaurant and stored wine in them. And, yes, kitchen staff would run to and from hotel rooms each filled with carefully inventoried bottles of wine. The wine list -- eventually completed to Bern's satisfaction -- was a work in progress in the 1970s, and a copy of the VERY thick wine list was chained at each table. It was a wine biology-geography-history book that the restaurant now sells.

Not sure if they still have it, but in the 1970s, Bern had a farm in Plant City that grew organic vegetables served in the restaurant. It was considered a compliment to ask for seconds. Wait staff were required to have a college degree and worked at the farm for 6 months before they set foot inside the restaurant.

Yes, it's more expensive than an "average" steak-house restaurant, but you can manage the cost to a fair degree. This is because the aged steaks Bern's serves are cut for you only after you order them. Bern's menu shows a list of steaks in a grid. Across the top are different sizes. Data cells show the cost for that choice. So, you can order a smaller sized steak for a lower cost, and still have room (and budget) for the upstairs dessert room.

Bern designed (patented?) a way to allow better wine to be sold by the glass, by filling the partly empty bottle with nitrogen (IIRC). I only saw Bern Laxer one time. Someone ordered a rather expensive bottle of wine ($1,500+ according to my waiter, about the cost of a new car). Bern accompanied the Wine Steward to the table for the uncorking.

Called the "perfectionist of perfectionists" by Florida Trend, Bern Laxer passed in 2002. However perfect Heaven might have been before he arrived, I have no doubt Bern is finding ways to make it even better.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
May 1st, 2018 at 7:27:42 AM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Yes, it's more expensive than an "average" steak-house restaurant, but you can manage the cost to a fair degree. This is because the aged steaks Bern's serves are cut for you only after you order them. Bern's menu shows a list of steaks in a grid. Across the top are different sizes. Data cells show the cost for that choice. So, you can order a smaller sized steak for a lower cost, and still have room (and budget) for the upstairs dessert room.

Actually, it's been my experience that the prices of the cuts at Bern's are comparable to those at a Ruth's Chris or Mortons. However, at Bern's, you get their French onion soup, a salad, potato, vegetable, and onion rings included with the price of the steak. At the other places, the steaks typically come a-la-carte, and you pay extra for sides. For me, that makes Bern's less expensive than the upscale steakhouse chains. Less expensive, that is, until we hit the dessert room! :)

Regarding the wine list, Lucky is right -- it's like a phone book (anyone remember those?). I think they boast over 10,000 wines. We usually try to find an older bottle (40+ years) that they have to decant at the table. The sommeliers have guided us to some good ones in the $50 range that were unique and very tasty.

Sorry for the Bern's hijack, LW, but I highly recommend it if you are going to be in the Tampa Bay area for a few days.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: