dwight56
dwight56
  • Threads: 12
December 4th, 2017 at 9:48:05 AM permalink
I would like a little input on this please. I use hi-lo and my spread has been on a 5 dollar table 5 dollars at +1 or less ,+2tc-20 +3-40, +4-60 +5-80 and have had decent success then the last two trips I started playing one hand of 5 at +1 or under +2tc -20 + 3 two hands of 30, =4 two hands of 40 + 5 two hands of 50. which I don't think performed quit as good. My question is which is the best in the long run, rules are h17 sp to 4 hands including aces, das, no sur, 6 and 8 deck with exceptional pen.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
dwight56
December 4th, 2017 at 10:00:21 AM permalink
Sounds like you have a shop with 'okay' rules (RSA) and great pen, but even more importantly little or no heat; $5-$80 is a nice 1-16 spread. If you have simulation software, that'll give you the best answer to your question - and more... You'll be able to see what that does to your score, variance/SD's, etc.

1 hand of $60 or 2 hands of $30 aren't 'exactly' the same according to Wong's professional blackjack (we had a discussion about this like a year or two ago). I recall reading, and citing, that wong said 2 hands is 150% of 1 hand (as an average bet). Thus, if you bet 2 hands of $30, it's the same as betting 1 hand of $40. So if you wanted to bet 1 hand of $60, you'd need 2 hands of $40. Again, simulation software will let you play with this the most and understand exactly what multiple hands will do for your game.

In 'general' 2 hands is better... however 2 hands (or spreading 'horizontally') often attracts more attention. Some shops will let you spread $5-$100 on 1 hand, but will flip their lid if you spread to 2 hands of $50. So perhaps your answer will be more location/heat dependent than we could provide. If heat will allow it, I'd recommend going to 2 hands... keeping in mind what you want your average bet for each TC to be, etc.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
dwight56
dwight56
December 4th, 2017 at 10:17:05 AM permalink
Really have not had any heat, I have played there for 10 years but only been counting about 6 months, prior to that I was just using various progressions, they know me by name. Play once a week and only BJ, I am concerned tho that they will figure out I am counting, I usually play the first hand for 15 or 20 until a loss just as camo. I have not had an opportunity to split 10s, but I am thinking I probably won't do it for fear of heat.
Romes
Romes
Thanked by
dwight56
December 4th, 2017 at 12:15:41 PM permalink
No one ever has heat, until they do =P. Sounds like you have a good setup (in my opinion). Other counters might run and hide since they know you so well, but my style of play would use this to my advantage. Especially if you're cordial and have good conversations with the dealers/bosses then they might not care even if you are counting (since for now you're at the $5 table). IF you do get 'caught' or the jig is up, it'll more than likely be a phone call from surveillance... not one of the pits you're on good terms with.

Be careful with your cover with a cost play of leading out with $20 on the first hand. Some rough calculations:

For the 6D game you listed (~.55% HE) with 'average' PEN, I'm showing an hourly (per 100 hands) of about $9/hour with the following average bets/spread:

TC <= +1 = 5
TC +2 = 20
TC +3 = 40
TC +4 = 60
TC >= +5 = 75

(this averages your 2 hand bets as I described earlier)

For 6D, generally you'll play 3-4 shoes per hour (pending speed and how full the tables are). So let's say you play 4 shoes, and make 4 $20 bets off the top for cover... One $20 bet at a .55% HE = 11 cents. So four of them are going to cost you about 45 cents... not too bad, so long as you stick to just off the top. Even if you doubled that (so you did it randomly one other time in each shoe) you're starting to chunk dollars out of your not so massive EV, so it'll start to hurt.

Also, if you have exceptional PEN as mentioned in your OP, you're probably getting a few more $ per hour than this... so my educated guess would be around $12-$14 per 100 hands. If you're getting $13/hour, then each $20 "off the top" (at TC = 0) will cost you about .85% of your hourly EV. So 4 per hour will cost you about 3.4% of your hourly EV to do... If you doubled it to 'randomly' do it one more time during each shoe you're looking at almost 7% of your hourly for this little cover play! Just food for thought. It sounds like you're doing things right as far as I can tell thus far.
dwight56
dwight56
December 4th, 2017 at 12:30:13 PM permalink
Thanks, I forgot to mention I generally wong out at -2tc especially if I am heads up, I play from 11-4 usually during the week and it is not real crowded.
Romes
Romes
December 4th, 2017 at 12:42:00 PM permalink
Quote: dwight56

Thanks, I forgot to mention I generally wong out at -2tc especially if I am heads up, I play from 11-4 usually during the week and it is not real crowded.

I also forgot to mention my rough numbers were wonging out AT TC = -2 or worse... and based on 100 hands per hour, so if you're getting more than that then again your EV could be slightly higher even.
tyler498
tyler498
  • Threads: 20
December 5th, 2017 at 12:39:36 PM permalink
Everything Romes said. Also I have read that if you are alone at the table it is better to stick to 1 hand, other than that yeah play 2 hands at TC+2
  • Jump to: