VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
October 27th, 2016 at 12:44:03 PM permalink
Question:

Sorry if this is already answered on the main WoO page. Which game is more volatile: Craps (Pass/Don't) or BJ?

Thanks
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
dajakesta
dajakesta
  • Threads: 23
October 28th, 2016 at 1:10:02 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

Question:

Sorry if this is already answered on the main WoO page. Which game is more volatile: Craps (Pass/Don't) or BJ?

Thanks

depends on your playstyle. If you take full odds, your EoR is gonna be lower and your variance will be higher. However, if you don't take odds, i think bj would have the higher variance by a bit since you're gonna split/double down with your bet. Of course, if you play freebet blackjack then the variance should be about the same. However, one word of warning. One bet on craps might take a few rolls to resolve but one on one with the dealer at blackjack could very well be 200 hands per hour. So blackjack may seem more volatile but it could be speed.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
October 31st, 2016 at 8:15:30 AM permalink
Quote: dajakesta

depends on your playstyle...

+1

Ignoring odds, craps I believe has a STD of 1.0 where as blackjack is 1.15. I'm also running on 6 hours of sleep in the past 3 days, so I hope I'm not being retarded... but yeah craps bets on pass/don't resolve at a 1 to 1 rate, so there wouldn't be the potential to win or lose more like in blackjack.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
October 31st, 2016 at 10:35:48 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

+1...

Craps (assuming you're referring to a Pass (or Don't Pass) bet will be either +1 or -1 with a probability near 1/2, so will have a variance of about 1. Blackjack has other outcomes as you will be doubling or splitting, but it also has a small chance of a standoff. Thus intuition suggests the variance of BJ is larger than 1.

Quick search finds these....
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/4/ - which says trials suggest it is about the 1.15 quoted above.

https://wizardofodds.com/gambling/house-edge/ lists lots of games and their HE and variance. Craps =.99 or 1.00, BJ = 1.15.
  • Jump to: