Caiman
Caiman
  • Threads: 1
October 19th, 2015 at 3:06:16 PM permalink
My local recently introduced the 10-1 tie side bet on at least one of their tables, as described/analyzed by the Wizard here:

The strategy and house edge with it are very interesting; this is the only side bet I've ever seen that can lower the house edge of the game. There are a couple rule differences between his analysis assumption and my local:

-Late surrender allowed
-Re-splitting aces allowed

I would obviously always re-split aces. Is there any situation where surrender is worthwhile with the tie bet? Any idea on the house edge considering these two rule changes?
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
Caiman
October 20th, 2015 at 7:17:55 AM permalink
Quote: Caiman

My local recently introduced the 10-1 tie side bet on at least one of their tables, as described/analyzed by the Wizard here: https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/8/#toc-Tie-Version1

The strategy and house edge with it are very interesting; this is the only side bet I've ever seen that can lower the house edge of the game. There are a couple rule differences between his analysis assumption and my local:

-Late surrender allowed
-Re-splitting aces allowed

I would obviously always re-split aces. Is there any situation where surrender is worthwhile with the tie bet? Any idea on the house edge considering these two rule changes?

The results of an infinite-deck analysis show that these two rules decrease the house edge by a difference of 0.05%. So the house edge would change from the Wizard's 0.24% to 0.19%. This effect is due solely to re-splitting aces--you shouldn't surrender using the basic strategy even if you could surrender on the side bet too.
  • Jump to: