CoachO
CoachO
  • Threads: 1
June 11th, 2015 at 1:18:16 PM permalink
I'm new to counting, I was flat betted for the first time ever at El Cortez this weekend. I was being pretty aggressive with my bets playing $5 mins. Even with being aggressive I was surprised that I got flat betted with the low amounts I was betting. I only bet $150 twice majority was $30-$75 with a pos TC. Anyways I was so surprised I actually laughed in the PB face when he said I was flat betted. I just immediately left and cashed out my chips. Just wanted to share about El Cortez since they seem to be a little picky about their players.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 11th, 2015 at 1:22:44 PM permalink
Thanks for the info. The El Co is a well known sweat shop around here.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 11th, 2015 at 1:24:16 PM permalink
Isn't that a badge of honor for card counters or something?

Are they actually counting or just watching the bet swings? Someone should go there and play an opposite counting system at a -3% edge or so for an hour, just to see if they'd back that off too.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 200
June 11th, 2015 at 1:28:20 PM permalink
First, I have never heard of EC flat betting anyone. Usually the just back you off (no more BJ). I am not saying it didn't happen. Could be a new tactic.

Secondly, EC's nickname is the Sweaty Spaniard. Wanna guess how they got that nickname? LOL. Spreading $5-$150 or even $5-$75 on single or double deck games (that's all they have) at the ultra sweaty low limit joint is pretty aggressive. No surprise thy wouldn't take that for long. Even if you weren't counting and spread to those limits, they would probably take action against you....that's how sweaty they are.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
June 11th, 2015 at 1:29:24 PM permalink
Quote: CoachO

I'm new to counting, I was flat betted for the first time ever at El Cortez this weekend. I was being pretty aggressive with my bets playing $5 mins. Even with being aggressive I was surprised that I got flat betted with the low amounts I was betting. I only bet $150 twice majority was $30-$75 with a pos TC. Anyways I was so surprised I actually laughed in the PB face when he said I was flat betted. I just immediately left and cashed out my chips. Just wanted to share about El Cortez since they seem to be a little picky about their players.

Welcome to the club, a club that includes both counters and non counters. They won't tolerate those spreads and they don't like winners. You handled it just fine. If you still want to play there, give it a few weeks and try again with a smaller spread. Rinse and repeat. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
June 11th, 2015 at 1:32:04 PM permalink
That's still a pretty big spread for double-deck; or were you playing single-deck?

Were you using a players card with your real name?

Welcome to the forum CoachO. Hope you stick around.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 27
June 11th, 2015 at 1:34:58 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

First, I have never heard of EC flat betting anyone. Usually the just back you off (no more BJ). I am not saying it didn't happen. Could be a new tactic.

I was flat bet there when spreading $5-$50 last October. Maybe they're taking a new approach?

When I was there the PB (on a couple occasions for me and someone else) counted down the discards, so I think they're counting along too.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 200
June 11th, 2015 at 1:36:31 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Isn't that a badge of honor for card counters or something?

Are they actually counting or just watching the bet swings? Someone should go there and play an opposite counting system at a -3% edge or so for an hour, just to see if they'd back that off too.

I have seen them refuse action from players that were spreading but not with the count. They were no more counting cards than jumping over the moon. If you spread.....they panic. Period.

It DOES seem to be a badge of honor type thing for new players. I've never quite understood that reasoning. ?? I think just the other way. I play that store several times a week, (short sessions) and I play green /black level which is watched ultra closely. I figure if I can play this place and not get backed off I am achieving something and I think it's been over a year now since my last backoff. I probably have 12-14 total there over the last 6 years. I had one pit guy that turned red and nearly exploded just seeing me. He once backed me off in the men's room, which was pretty non professional. But he retired and I have been golden there since.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 11th, 2015 at 2:13:28 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I had one pit guy that turned red and nearly exploded just seeing me. He once backed me off in the men's room, which was pretty non professional. But he retired and I have been golden there since.

There's a bad joke in there somewhere...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1338
June 11th, 2015 at 2:29:24 PM permalink
The El Cortez was my second back off in my life and just about an hour after the first (at Binions). The El Cortez was very rude about it and didn't even let me color up my chips. When I tried to color up my stack of reds the pit boss barked at me, "Just get the hell off my table."
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: