Kellynbnf
Kellynbnf
  • Threads: 15
July 4th, 2010 at 10:51:34 AM permalink
The Wizard already has a table (at the link below) for strategy when the dealer exposes both cards:
https://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix16.html

Since most of us won't go to the trouble of memorizing that chart, I've come up with a fairly simple "comprimise strategy" way (with some adjustments to make it easier) to remember how to play when this situation comes up. Note that this strategy assumes that the hole card has become "general knowledge" at the table and there are no ramifications for making really unusual plays like hitting hard 17s and higher (in cases where you just glimpsed at the hole card, etc. you can use your own discretion as to whether you should make the play or not). Some other sources were also consulted, and I came up with a compromise "simple strategy" that is close enough under most standard rule sets. I also assume that surrender is not allowed. If I do not mention the correct play for a given situation you should stand, and when it says to hit or double down do so only if it's not a pair or it's a pair that you shouldn't split.

Dealer total of 9 or less: Follow basic strategy (I assume you already know that), using the column for the dealer total equaling the sum of the two cards. For example, if the dealer has a 3 up and a 4 in the hole (or vice versa) play as if he/she were showing a 7.

Dealer total of 10 or 11: Don't split any pairs except for aces, never double down, and hit up to 16 against 10 and 15 against 11. (Note that the logic in the above paragraph cannot be extended to 10, because with a normal 10 the hole card cannot be an ace but with hole-carding the dealer can draw an ace to the two cards to get 21.)

Dealer total of hard 12 or 13: Split any pairs except for 5s or 10s, double down on any total of hard 8-11 or soft 13-19, and hit a hard 5-7.

Dealer total of hard 14-16: Split any pairs except for 5s, double down on all hard hands of 11 or less and soft hands 13-20.

Dealer non-pat soft hand (soft 12-16, and soft 17 if the dealer will hit on it): Split only Aces and 8s, double down only if you have 10 or 11, hit if the sum of your hand and the dealer's non-Ace card (or 1 if the dealer has AA) is less than 17 (except hit through 16 with a dealer soft 17 and hit any soft hand of yours up through soft 17).

Dealer total of 17-20 (including any soft totals adding up to those amounts except for 17 if the dealer will take a hit): Hit until you have equal or more than the dealer (except always hit a soft 17), never double down, never split 4s, 5s, 10s, or Aces, split 6s and 7s up through a dealer 17, split 2s, 3s, and 8s up through a dealer 18, split 9s up through a dealer 19 (except for 17; the strategy for dealer 7-9 and splitting 9s can be extended to 17-19).
  • Jump to: