FrostieFingerz
FrostieFingerz
  • Threads: 3
September 10th, 2014 at 8:24:44 AM permalink
Hello

Regardless of other rules or variations, let's say there is a game of Blackjack that pays 1,5 times your bet when you have a winning hand consisting of 5 cards. I think a hand like this occurs every 50 hands or so, but you'll only get paid if it's a winning hand. Moreover, a winning 6 card charlie pays twice your bet, and a winning 7 card charlie pays 5 times your bet.

Anyone has an idea which effect this has on the house edge?
Would that influence my basic strategy play? Would I be hitting some hands where I would normally stand?

Thanks!
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
September 10th, 2014 at 8:44:33 AM permalink
It would definitely effect basic strategy. To the exact extent, I'm not sure.

I believe you can find the % difference in rules from the Rules Variations:
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/rule-variations/

I hope this doesn't come off rude, but more so encouraging... Try Google first =)...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wizard+of+odds+5+card+charlie

Any of those top 3 search results should point you at information you're interested in.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
FrostieFingerz
FrostieFingerz
September 10th, 2014 at 9:03:57 AM permalink
Thank you, Romes :)
The first link is indeed a good link to see the % difference, I should have found that one by myself, but I guess I've read so many info I looked over it. It says there a 5 card win paying 3:2 adds 0,33 % to the player's edge, which is not bad at all I think.

However, I find very little info on how this would effect basic strategy, most of the search results from Google treat the topic of automatic win if you don't bust with 5 cards, no matter what the dealer's cards are.
With this variation, you'll only win if you can also beat the dealer, and that info is harder to find! :-)
Romes
Romes
September 10th, 2014 at 10:29:47 AM permalink
It will definitely be tougher to find exact basic strategy deviations for these rules, probably because they're so unique and rare. However, while waiting for SIM people to respond (or someone with similar prior experience), don't let the google stop! Try different searches, etc.

For example: "blackjack 5 card charlie if you beat the dealer" resulted in:
http://blackjack-authority.com/articles/charlies.html
on the 3rd hit. This has some strategy deviations, but be ware of the exact EV's of each play. There's some strategy from this link that I would and would not follow:

Quote:

"If you are holding a hand with a total of 4 - 11 and the Dealer is holding 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or an Ace you should always Hit that hand.

You'll definitely be hitting more to draw to these special pay hands, but personally I wouldn't sacrifice doubling on 10 and 11, unless maybe it was a super negative count (that I would have wong'd out of) or something.

Hopefully someone else who's ran sims for this before can chime in with exact plays, but I wanted to show you that with more digging you can slowly start to uncover more information to at least point you in the right direction. Both of the links from both of my posts in this thread took under 30 seconds of Googling.

EDIT: Another 60 seconds of Googling ("blackjack 5 card charlie strategy") again came up with a ton of information, including threads on this site about similar topics:
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/strategy/charlie/
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/blackjack/5578-charlie-strategy/
http://www.blackjackrules.org/Five-Card-Charlie.html

Yes, they might not be exact "and you have to win the hand" but I would be fairly confident these are pretty close to what you're looking for.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 10th, 2014 at 11:08:59 AM permalink
This has nothing to do with 5- or 6-card charlie. The numbers for 5-card charlies are not useful here, I don't think.

A charlie is an automatic winner on an unbusted hand. The original post describes a bonus for winning the hand. Those are very different things.
Romes
Romes
September 10th, 2014 at 11:31:06 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

This has nothing to do with 5- or 6-card charlie. The numbers for 5-card charlies are not useful here, I don't think.

A charlie is an automatic winner on an unbusted hand. The original post describes a bonus for winning the hand. Those are very different things.

Are you referring to a bonus because it's not an automatic winner? Thus, the hand is normal, the payout is just a little extra?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
September 10th, 2014 at 11:35:05 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

I don't see anything in the OP referring to a bonus? Seems like regular charlie with the caveat that it must still beat the dealers hand (i.e. not automatic winner).

The bonus is the 1.5 to 1 payout.

"5 card charlie" refers to the rule where if you have a 5-card unbusted hand, it wins automatically.

The rule that he is referring to is that if your 5-card hand wins, it pays 3:2.

There is a big difference between a 5-card 16 winning every time, and it paying 3:2 if the dealer busts.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 10th, 2014 at 12:04:37 PM permalink
It also becomes very tempting to hit a 5 card soft 21, if I'm allowed. More tempting to hit the 6 card.
May the cards fall in your favor.
FrostieFingerz
FrostieFingerz
September 15th, 2014 at 1:26:57 PM permalink
Thank you guys for your replies. It is indeed tempting to hit in some circumstances, although my fear is that would have a huge negative effect on the player's edge.

I'm still hoping someone who can run a simulation could help us out here :-)
  • Jump to: