AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 17th, 2014 at 12:35:13 PM permalink
Quote: Kellynbnf

If a single-deck game is 3:2 S17, that would be an off-the-top player edge! (Assuming there aren't any other bad rules stuck in there.)

There are other bad rules. It's not a bad game, but not a player edge off the top either.

If I remember correctly, you can double on 10 or 11 only, and there is no resplitting at all.

Edit: Also no DAS
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 17th, 2014 at 2:26:40 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

I am basically saying that sometimes when we really do not have a word for something, a renowned writer will invent one. The origins of other words are impossible to trace to an individual. A word that I could make up is gibberish or slang. That's just my take, I acknowledge there are other legitimate points of view.

I respectfully disagree, and believe that, "Disclude," is a perfectly legitimate word which excludes something in a very specific way. Here is my definition for the verb form:

Disclude (verb): To deliberately omit an item, or items, from consideration that would normally be considered within a given set.

***The difference is, when you exclude something, it could be a thing that either would or would not normally belong to the set. Let's say I am looking at the population of a city, but I don't want to include any males between the ages of 12-14, I would disclude those because they would normally be there. If a company has a contest, then they might simply exclude employees and family from winning, but you would not disclude employees and family, because employees and family would not normally be in that set anyway due to the appearance of bias.

Simply put, when you disclude something, you are deliberately setting aside and removing a subset that should otherwise be there. I don't believe that most sentences that use the word, "Exclude," have the proper context clues to indicate whether or not the omitted item(s) would normally be part of the set.

If disclude were to become a word, then, "Exclude," would strictly mean omitting an item(s) because it doesn't belong in the set in the first place.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 17th, 2014 at 7:03:17 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I respectfully disagree, and believe that, "Disclude," is a perfectly legitimate word which excludes something in a very specific way. Here is my definition for the verb form:

Disclude (verb): To deliberately omit an item, or items, from consideration that would normally be considered within a given set.

***The difference is, when you exclude something, it could be a thing that either would or would not normally belong to the set. Let's say I am looking at the population of a city, but I don't want to include any males between the ages of 12-14, I would disclude those because they would normally be there. If a company has a contest, then they might simply exclude employees and family from winning, but you would not disclude employees and family, because employees and family would not normally be in that set anyway due to the appearance of bias.

Simply put, when you disclude something, you are deliberately setting aside and removing a subset that should otherwise be there. I don't believe that most sentences that use the word, "Exclude," have the proper context clues to indicate whether or not the omitted item(s) would normally be part of the set.

If disclude were to become a word, then, "Exclude," would strictly mean omitting an item(s) because it doesn't belong in the set in the first place.

I think you have something there, Mission. Be sure to claim credit when it shows up in the OED in about a decade.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 17th, 2014 at 8:28:24 PM permalink
Thanks, I hope so!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
  • Jump to: