jwblue
jwblue
  • Threads: 34
August 2nd, 2012 at 10:53:10 AM permalink
Something where I don't have to think too much.

This is the one I generally use. Is this too basic?

Quote:

If your first cards total 12-16 you have a "Stiff" hand. (one than can be busted with a hit.)
If you have 17 or better it is a Pat hand and you stand.

If the dealer's up card is a 2 - 6, it is a "Stiff" hand for the dealer.
If the dealer shows a 7 -Ace, you consider it a pat hand.

If you have a stiff and the dealer has a stiff you STAND.
If you have a stiff and the dealer has a pat hand you HIT.

Does doubling down and splitting increase my odds significantly?
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
August 2nd, 2012 at 11:00:59 AM permalink
Yes, doubling down & splitting help significantly. Your strategy is much too simple. Have you seen the Wizard's?

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/

It's the first card on the page. Only a couple rules to learn, and you will do much better.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 2nd, 2012 at 11:03:23 AM permalink
The strategy's not awful, but obviously learning the BS would be better.

For a double/split strategy of about the same level - try doubling on nines if the dealer has a stiff hand, tens if he doesn't have a ten or ace, elevens always. Split twos, threes, sixes, and sevens against a stiff hand, eights and aces always, nines except against a ten or ace.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 2nd, 2012 at 11:13:21 AM permalink
My favorite strategy is to play with OPM !
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
August 2nd, 2012 at 11:51:57 AM permalink
IMO, you're strategy doesn't suck. But it's only step 1 in a multistep process.

You'll notice on the Wizard's main blackjack strategy page that a "mimic the dealer" strategy offers a house edge of about 5.5%. Not good for blackjack, but still on a par with Roulette. This strategy doesn't include any knowledge of the dealer's exposed card.

Your strategy makes one basic decision based on the dealer's exposed card. This is the most frequent strategy decision you'll need to make, and I'd guesstimate that it will knock the house edge down into the 2-3% range. I believe this gets the house edge into a reasonable range, on par with Pai Gow Poker.

As you observe, making good doubling and splitting decisions will further reduce the house edge, probably down to 1% or so. These are strategy options that are offered to you that are not available to the dealer. Use them when you get the chance. Plus, they're fun! At a minimum you should always double 11, and always split aces and 8's. It's not just good blackjack strategy, they're fundamental man rules! Another poster has already offered some more detailed rules for when to double and split. I'd add that you should look to double on soft hands against a dealer's stiff hand.

Finally learning all the exceptions can shave another 0.5% off the house edge. Stuff like hitting a 12 against a dealer's 2 or 3.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 2nd, 2012 at 12:04:00 PM permalink
This has been said before but bears repeating. Bring a basic strategy chart to the table and use it. You'll gain the respect of your fellow players and maybe even the pit crew.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
August 2nd, 2012 at 12:39:35 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

This has been said before but bears repeating. Bring a basic strategy chart to the table and use it. You'll gain the respect of your fellow players and maybe even the pit crew.

Gotta disagree with this. As a fellow player, I would not feel any particular respect for any player sitting down at the table and consulting a strategy card on every play. It slows the game down. You'll become a slave to the card, shutting off your brain and consulting the card on what should be obvious decisions. And it demonstrates a laziness to learn the strategy.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
August 2nd, 2012 at 12:57:50 PM permalink
Remembering that you hit (not counting doubling/splitting) a 2-16 against a dealer showing 7+ is a really big one that you'll use often and MANY people get wrong. I feel like that's the biggest rule for an introductory blackjack player learning BS.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 2nd, 2012 at 12:58:58 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

Gotta disagree with this. As a fellow player, I would not feel any particular respect for any player sitting down at the table and consulting a strategy card on every play. It slows the game down. You'll become a slave to the card, shutting off your brain and consulting the card on what should be obvious decisions. And it demonstrates a laziness to learn the strategy.

I was referring to people who think that their losses are caused by the poor play of others. Only card counters would be concerned with slow play. Many people only play a few times a year and don't feel the need to learn basic strategy.

Personally I like poor players because they help me in so many ways.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Yokeoh
Yokeoh
  • Threads: 7
February 18th, 2013 at 7:28:17 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

To each his own I remember i had been playing at a table in the orleans with my strategy card on the table and a new client came and made a smartass remark about the card, and the dealer told him to shush up because i was winning quite a bit against her. Look that card works for me because i'm not sweating when i have to double down on a $40 bet for a 9 total.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 18th, 2013 at 7:33:58 PM permalink
I don't see game slowed down when player has 17 18 19 20 or 21.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
  • Jump to: