March 14th, 2012 at 9:37:45 PM permalink
@OP - Fooled. By. Randomness. /thread

;)
Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
March 14th, 2012 at 10:43:48 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I agree with every point you made but this one. I can guarantee that 1-2-3-4-5 is covered proactively by at least one person in just about every 5byX lottery in the country. The quick pick can also produce a 1-2-3-4-5 ticket. Same with 1-2-3-5-9, same with 1-2-3-5-7, 5-7-10-11-17 (11/10/1775). My manual picks won't cover those guaranteed-to-be-taken combination of numbers. Except in cases where every single possible combination is taken, my manual pick is slightly less likely to be matched than a quick pick because my pick is guaranteed to miss those common numbers.

You picked 5 out of 180 million different combinations.

Seriously, I trust my quick pick will never pick the lost numbers, 1,2,3,4,5.. or whatever you consider "common" combinations. And I will again retort with the fact that the chances of it happening are like winning the lottery...

Also, the majority of powerball winners used the quick-pick option. So by that logic, using quick pick should increase my chances of winning (when in reality, it's because the majority of tickets sold are quick picks)...
andysif
andysif
  • Threads: 23
March 15th, 2012 at 12:41:22 AM permalink
it is statistically impossible to win 7 lotteries. there must be something fishy and he is deliberately acting stupid to shift the attention.
Triplell
Triplell
  • Threads: 9
March 15th, 2012 at 2:14:35 AM permalink
His 7 wins aren't all "powerball" wins, but include scratch ticket wins and smaller state lottery wins...
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 15th, 2012 at 6:50:03 AM permalink
Quote: Triplell

You picked 5 out of 180 million different combinations.

That's all that's required. I don't have to prove that it's a *lot* better. Just that it's better...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 15th, 2012 at 7:49:14 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Here is one documented case of it happening. This isn't the one of which I was thinking when I posted; I'm pretty sure there's at least one documented case of it happening in the US in an east-coast state somewhere. If I find the article I'll post it.

I remember one such case. It was on TV and the papers. I think it was in one of the Carolinas, and the syndicate failed to obtain every combo in time. I do remember there was talk of an investigation in the matter after it was known.

I've also posted about the logistics of it, either elsewhere on the board or in another board. I forget which. It would be flat out impossible for a single person or even a small group of people to acquire even a few hundred thousand tickets, much less the millions required.

Ok, it's here:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/2145-a-good-lotto-bet-really/#post18290

Yes, I've noted some whooping errors now that I re-read it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
March 15th, 2012 at 8:24:32 AM permalink
Well of course since the numbers are drawn from a drum with actual physical balls doesn't that lead to the question of "Are there dead or active balls that are more likely/not likely to be popped into the exit?" Since this is not a pure mathematical event but involves physics if the lotteries use the same balls over and over there should be some significant variations.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 15th, 2012 at 11:03:47 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

Well of course since the numbers are drawn from a drum with actual physical balls doesn't that lead to the question of "Are there dead or active balls that are more likely/not likely to be popped into the exit?" Since this is not a pure mathematical event but involves physics if the lotteries use the same balls over and over there should be some significant variations.

The balls are replaced regularly. There have been incidences of tampering where balls have been injected with a liquid to alter the physics of the game. Same methodology used to scam some larger Indian Bingo games.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 15th, 2012 at 12:20:54 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

I think that's more of an urban legend and the plot of a couple of TV comedy episodes. Unless the lottery corporation were helping you, I think it would be nigh to impossible for any manageable-size group of collaborators to pencil in lottery forms and make all the purchases to have every possible number combination covered. Then, even if you did, some half dozen other ticket holders might share the jackpot with you so that you still lose a bundle of money.

At one time it was possible to buy large blocks of tickets to capitalize on +EV lottery situtations. Here is a story of an older couple who each bought 150,000 tickets at $2 each, over the course of three days in order to profit from a loophole in the Massachusetts lottery. They supposedly doubled their money on the lottery winnings.

It is unclear if they bought quick picks or used prefilled entry slips. I understand Massachusetts changed the rules of the game, limiting the number of tickets that could be sold to an individual each day, after this story broke last year.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
edward
edward
  • Threads: 0
March 15th, 2012 at 12:30:07 PM permalink
I think lotto is a little bit complicated. Apart from the first prize there are also the smaller win cathegories and if you buy lets say 10 quick pick tickets your chances do not increase linearly. I think this might be the reason the person refered in the article prefers maybe to take a pool of numbers and generate all combinations.

I dont know if this is his method, im just guessing.

• Jump to: