ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 94
Thanks for this post from:
OnceDear
July 30th, 2020 at 11:58:47 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

For a zero edge game...
Probability of Success = (Starting Bankroll)/(Starting Bankroll + Target Profit)

For a low house edge game, it gives a decent probability estimation if you wager a modest proportion of bankroll on each wager, especially so with a progressive such as Marty or d'Alembert

I acknowledge that it's far more complex, and beyond me to derive an equation where there is a house edge.

Actually, for flat betting, there is a formula for the probability of reaching the target before losing the entire initial bankroll:

(1 - ((1-p)/p)^B) / (1 - ((1-p)/p)^(B+T))

where p is the probability of winning the initial bet (assuming p < 1/2), B is the initial bankroll (in terms of the number of bets), and T the target profit (again, in terms of the number of bets).

For p = 1/2, the probability = B / (B + T), as you state in your blog post.
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 3
July 30th, 2020 at 4:23:14 PM permalink
Can someone help me? I just want to post my own form questions but I don't know how.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy 
  • Threads: 94
July 30th, 2020 at 5:40:15 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

Can someone help me? I just want to post my own form questions but I don't know how.

1. Click on "Forums" in the menu bar at the top of each page.
2. Scroll down until you see the list of topics - for example, this thread is in "Betting Systems" under "Gambling".
3. Click on the topic name to bring up that topic's page.
4. Click on the "New Thread" button at the top of the topic's page.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 44
July 30th, 2020 at 5:50:42 PM permalink
He sees the mobile view. such features seem hidden by the forum layout
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1323
August 1st, 2020 at 4:37:40 PM permalink
My video on the d'Alembert is up for preview. Please enjoy. I welcome all comments. Please keep in mind I'm not making a Ken Burns documentary here.

Direct: youtu.be/ucvz-pDgv50
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 154
August 4th, 2020 at 2:33:46 AM permalink
I like this progression
I'm not saying it's a long run winner
I mean for playing for fun
as far as I know it doesn't have a name
I think it's somewhat similar to what John Patrick (no I don't recommend him) calls 𝙪𝙥 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙥𝙪𝙡𝙡 but it is not the same

the progression is 4 bets and if you lose any one or win all you return to the beginning

assuming you win your first 3 bets the progression is:

𝐛𝐞𝐭 𝟏............𝐛𝐞𝐭 𝟑............. 𝐛𝐞𝐭 𝟐...................𝐛𝐞𝐭 𝟒

the worse thing (other than long losing runs) is if you lose your 2nd bet - 3 - which means in the first 2 bets you will lose 2 instead of breaking even if you flat bet

if you win the 2nd bet and lose the 3rd you will win 2 - whereas if you flat bet you would win only 1

if you win the 3rd bet but lose the 4th you will win 2 - which is the same as if you flat bet

if you win all 4 bets you will win 𝟏𝟎 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐬...........................𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘑𝘦𝘴𝘶𝘴...................which means you've won 6 more than if you flat bet
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 4, 2020
"but I don't care too much for money..........money can't buy me love".............. the Beatles

• Jump to: