Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
Thanks for this post from:
kubikulann
September 22nd, 2019 at 6:30:37 PM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

As  for the Americans mention,
I’m sorry to tell you that it is only on this forum that I meet such personal aggressiveness when discussing pure mathematical subjects.
Usually a contradictor would say, ‘I disagree with this point, here is my reasoning.’ Research is a pleasure because it is shared. Here it becomes some sort of arena where you must justify yourself.

Here I receive abuse such as ‘garbage’ and ‘he knows nothing’ and ‘human’ as a not-so-clever way to escape the insult while meaning ‘stupid’. And generally by people who are wrong and/or do not understand the basics of my developments.

Like I said, I resent it. Profoundly.
My reasonings may be wrong, this is no reason to attack my person.
Each time that happens I react and will react. I am a disciple of truth and free speech. If I observe that somebody behaves as a piece of sh*, I tell it loud. You don’t like it? Well behave then.

And I don’t see why you should interpret that as arrogance. There is a quote by Umberto Eco: « It is essential to preclude ignorants from public debate. » There is another by a Belgian politician: « When all the disgusted have fled, you’ll be stuck with the disgusting. »
Don’t disgust me by accepting uncalled-for agressive behaviour by moronic dickheads and then accusing me for responding. I will stop responding the day you sanction the attacker. « They did first blood, Sir! »

(If you want a list of the dickheads, ask me and I’ll send it PM.)

1. You agreed to, and thanked me trying to help you with the tone of this board. My post was in that vein as a follow-up.

2. unJon stayed within the rules (though somewhat rudely, I grant) when he called YOUR POST (NOT you) garbage. That's an important distinction here.

THEN, he paid you a large compliment when he said, "frankly I expected better of you". To me, that says you have earned a lot of respect on here, and he found the post to which he was responding, to be beneath your excellent standard, which you have demonstrated many times.

People are reading and appreciating your contributions. That comes with a bit of an obligation, it would seem.

3. In contrast, you made a disparaging remark about Americans. Not about content, but about the people on this board. That generated a caution from me.

4. In response, you referred to the PEOPLE on this board as dickheads twice, once adding moronic, in the post I quoted above.

Another idiom for you: two wrongs don't make a right. You perceive an insult whether it qualifies as one under the rules of this board or not, and you claim the right to hit back. I don't recognize that right, when the other person called out the content of your post, and you "hit back" with personal aspersions.

5. You need to figure out the difference. Had unJon directed his insult AT YOU, I would suspend him. Instead, he complimented the general quality of your posts (we call that a backward compliment, actually).

I SHOULD suspend you for the insults quoted above. But I think you're making an honest attempt to provide quality content, and I don't particularly like the way people address each other's posts any more than you do. And American brashness and passive-aggressive posting style is off-putting, I agree.

So, I would ask you to do the following:

Look carefully at what is being said. If the characterization is within the content of the argument, it's probably within the rules. If it's directed at YOU (ie moronic dickhead, to quote you), then it's a personal insult.

Please continue to post. You more than hold your own here, and people find you interesting. Don't let it become a game for those you think are pests to push you into suspensions, or even give them another thought.

Any member, you included, is allowed to ask a moderator for action on an offensive post. Copy the link, and PM me. I'm on here several times a day, and we'll look at it, ok? But stop swinging back in that manner - it won't help you. At worst, it will get the both of you suspended.

So, Belgium slang, huh? No wonder I couldn't get anything from it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 10
beachbumbabskubikulann
September 22nd, 2019 at 7:44:57 PM permalink
Apologies if I was rude or offended Kubi. Was annoyed when I felt he misquoted and misstated my post to make what I felt was a straw man argument. Have come to believe reading the rest of the posts in this thread that he was sincere.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
es330td
es330td
  • Threads: 2
September 23rd, 2019 at 4:22:29 AM permalink
Last Result: +$0.55
Running Total: $0.73
Balance: $34.65
Record: 7-4

No current wager.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
beachbumbabs
September 23rd, 2019 at 7:20:33 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

1. You agreed to, and thanked me trying to help you with the tone of this board. My post was in that vein as a follow-up.

and I thank you again for your efforts. All my respect.
Quote:

2. unJon stayed within the rules (though somewhat rudely, I grant) when he called YOUR POST (NOT you) garbage. That's an important distinction here.
THEN, he paid you a large compliment when he said, "frankly I expected better of you".

OK— I probably am over sensitive there. I expect a contradictor to point to a flaw in my exposé rather than call it garbage without argument. Must be old-fashioned.
Also, the phrase ‘I expected better of you’ sounded more like an offense to my ears (eyes) than a compliment.
If you tell your kid, ‘‘frankly I expected better of you’’ I doubt he/she will take it as a compliment, but rather as a blame. Maybe I shouldn’t, but I resent being treated by an equal as his kid. (And then you calling ME arrogant.)

Ironic compliments are often a disguised insult. Remember Freud writing ‘I commend the Gestapo for its humane treatment of us Jews’ when he got expelled from Austria.

Quote:

In contrast, you made a disparaging remark about Americans. Not about content, but about the people on this board.

I want to sincerely apologize to anybody who felt insulted. I thought only of comparing social behavior standards, not judging and least of all insulting.
Later on, I pointed to the fact that it was restricted to some people, who seem to make a habit of answering grossly to any poster, on any subject. I think you know who I mean (not unJon, definitely). So it is not THE people on this board, it’s a few particular I labeled dickheads.
Last edited by: kubikulann on Sep 23, 2019
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
kubikulann
kubikulann
September 23rd, 2019 at 7:44:30 AM permalink
Quote:

So, Belgium slang, huh? No wonder I couldn't get anything from it.

Not slang. It used to be the language of the common people, 100 years ago. A mix of Flemish and French. Most of what survived is expressions and words.

For those into comics, Hergé in his Tintin comic books regularly used such expressions when simulating foreign languages (*). In his posthumous unfinished opus ‘‘The Alph’Art’’ one character is named Endaddine Akass.
As for Pandan Tagl, it comes for another Belgian comics author, Franquin.
« Pan dans ta gueule » meaning « Bang in you face » in a strip about a rifle brand shooting backwards in the face of hunters.

(*)
arumbaya indian: « Fretmo » is « just eat », « eat without worry »
Syldavian: « Eih bennek, eih blavek » is « here I am, here I stay »
Bordurian: « Ceston klebs » is Walloon for « it’s a dog »
Arab: cheikh « Bab El Ehr » is « babbeleir », wordy, chatterbox
Tibetan: « Wei Pyong » is Wépion, a town in Wallonia.
Last edited by: kubikulann on Sep 23, 2019
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Romes
Romes
September 23rd, 2019 at 11:37:05 PM permalink
FYI, according to Wong, if you pick -250 favorites (on average) then you have to have a winning percentage of 71.5%.

At -275 it moves to 73.5%. Just some thoughts =D.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 10
September 24th, 2019 at 3:37:12 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

FYI, according to Wong, if you pick -250 favorites (on average) then you have to have a winning percentage of 71.5%.

At -275 it moves to 73.5%. Just some thoughts =D.

The general formula is the minus number over 100 more than the number. So 250/(250+100)=0.71429; 275/375=0.73333
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
es330td
es330td
  • Threads: 2
September 29th, 2019 at 7:12:33 AM permalink
Balance: $34.65
Running Total: $0.73
Record: 7-4

Sport: NFL
Game: Oakland @ Indianapolis 9/29/19
Pick: Colts-271
Wager: $0.74
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 26
7crapsIndyJeffrey
September 30th, 2019 at 7:36:24 PM permalink
Quote: es330td

Sport: NFL
Game: Oakland @ Indianapolis 9/29/19
Pick: Colts-271
Wager: $0.74

Betting against Chucky? Ooops
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
September 30th, 2019 at 7:47:55 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Betting against Chucky? Ooops

LOL
Both Indy and Baltimore lost at home.
on any given Sunday

(KC and NE almost (they did - but won) choked on the road)

OP shows -$0.01 after all the trouble of betting wild non-dogs
LOL
"one free drink please" (no ice)
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)

• Jump to: