• Threads: 1
August 29th, 2018 at 2:15:03 PM permalink
Without counting cards.

Any suggestions?
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
August 30th, 2018 at 9:09:16 AM permalink
If you have an appreciation for the effects of card removal (i.e. better if lots of Aces/Tens to come) you can sometimes feel there haven't been many Aces rather than count them and adjust your bets/play accordingly. Similarly just looking at other players' hands if you're on third base might help some close plays. For instance if there were lots of cards used in the last round that would suggest there weren't many tens. However unless you know the odds are in your favour it's better to flat bet the minimum.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
August 30th, 2018 at 11:16:53 AM permalink
At a full table, look for 4s and 5s If several are out, stay on 15-16.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
August 30th, 2018 at 1:57:53 PM permalink
Quote: Mywifegambles

Without counting cards.

Any suggestions?

My take, if you are not going to count and are just going to play good BS, then it doesnít really matter if you flat bet or vary your bet with the average bet being your flat bet amount. Since flat betting is super boring, you should vary it to increase entertainment value.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 43
August 30th, 2018 at 2:17:57 PM permalink
Find someone at your table who looks like they are counting. Vary your bets the way that they do, bet insurance when they do.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 45
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffreyGialmere
August 30th, 2018 at 2:55:06 PM permalink
Though it adds absolutely zero financially, I find it amusing to do a little bit of gently progressive wagering, e.g. with a buy in of 200 I might play 5 a hand, but if I lose, follow that with a 10 and when that loses, push to 15, but then max out at that 15, not increasing further into the loss or just drop back to 5. It increases your average bet a little and is far more fun than flat betting 5 or 10. Obviously watch out for the odd hand that gets doubled or resplit because those hands can make or break you.
Another way of adding amusement is to make each wager a rough percentage of your running bankroll. E,g if you are at a $5 min table with a buy in of 200, maybe divide your bankroll by 20 and round down ( rough estimate), so first bet is 10 and your next bet is either 9 or 11. That can see you lurch ahead occasionally and when you are up to 400, you will be wagering 20 a hand. Just beware that your bankroll will tend to head downwards over time. That 10% level of wagering can usually see 200 last you several hours before you bust out or chicken out. It was 10% wagering on my first day that turned my 100 into 6000 . . . but I was very lucky that day.

If the game is fun and you can afford it and you are enjoying it, then you are already a winner.
Take care out there. Spare a thought for the newly poor who were happy in their world just a few days ago, but whose whole way of life just collapsed..
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 17
October 1st, 2018 at 6:28:47 PM permalink
You must vary your bet with the cards if you are going to win. Place the same bet and over time at a minimum the house advantage will put you under, not to mention bad luck streaks.

If I am playing to win, which actually these days I am just playing for comps, but anyway, WHEN I used to play to win, if the card count was good I'd either jump the bet all the way to the table limit, or, if I didn't necessarily feel it that strongly, I'd triple my bet for three hands in a row, then back off:

or even

If you can't win three in a row, you're probably going to go under anyway, so might as well give it your shot when you feel it. When you feel it, includes when you're talkative, happy and everything is just going your way.

What you DON'T want to do is jump the bet when things are going against you, just to catch up. Sure it works sometimes, but there is a reason why you are losing - the cards are going against you, so all you're doing at that point is trying to squeeze in a winner when you're actually probably barely winning 1/3 hands. You want to jump your bet when you're winning, not when you're losing. Sounds easy enough, but how many actually follow this simple logic?
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
October 1st, 2018 at 8:36:49 PM permalink
To actually earn a profit, the one bet-sizing strategy that I know of outside of counting is "comp hustling." Bet large during the times when it most likely effects rating, and small when it doesn't.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 17
October 2nd, 2018 at 6:24:28 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

To actually earn a profit, the one bet-sizing strategy that I know of outside of counting is "comp hustling." Bet large during the times when it most likely effects rating, and small when it doesn't.

:-)
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
anonbit
anonbit
  • Threads: 0
October 8th, 2018 at 5:56:53 AM permalink
Is it a strategy you usually use?

• Jump to: