gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 38
August 22nd, 2017 at 4:48:08 PM permalink
After seeing these weird threads I was genuinely curious about people's thoughts/experiences in regards to personal safety in AC.

Part of the reason I ask, is that I can't ever get anyone my age (mid-20s) to go to AC. I think the reason is mostly because none of them want to gamble, but someone mentioned the other day they thought AC was a really bad area.

I rarely travel outside the resort/boardwalk/outlet mall (is there really a reason to?), but I've spent a good bit of time there and have never felt in danger or threatened by anyone. The only negative interactions I've had have been with craps players, but that's par for the course.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 145
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

After seeing these weird threads I was genuinely curious about people's thoughts/experiences in regards to personal safety in AC.

Part of the reason I ask, is that I can't ever get anyone my age (mid-20s) to go to AC. I think the reason is mostly because none of them want to gamble, but someone mentioned the other day they thought AC was a really bad area.

I rarely travel outside the resort/boardwalk/outlet mall (is there really a reason to?), but I've spent a good bit of time there and have never felt in danger or threatened by anyone. The only negative interactions I've had have been with craps players, but that's par for the course.

As someone who spends 50+ nights a year in AC it's more than fine as you list. I have been at the following places late and have never had an issue:

Tony's Baltimore Grill
Duck town Tavern
AC Bar and Grill
Irish Pub
Vagabond Bar and Grill
Tun Tavern
Wingcraft

Like any big city in America, use you head and don't go looking for trouble.

But if you are not there to gamble, it isn't like Vegas with clubs and shows every night.
RossH
RossH
  • Threads: 8
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:43:28 PM permalink
That was me. I would avoid going this weekend since there is a rap concert at Boardwalk Hall on Thursday. As long as you stick to the boardwalk and Marina you should be fine. Just be careful driving in Jersey. The speed limit on the parkway can be as low as 45 MPH in some spots, and if you get a ticket you are automatically found guilty. That is why I haven't been in about 3 years.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 106
Thanks for this post from:
BozRigondeauxaerules
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:54:13 PM permalink
AC is home to some pretty good nude bars. Places that serve drinks aren't allowed to be even topless, but places that don't can be nude. Most nude bars have a liquor/beer shop next door so you buy there, and BYOB to the club. There are a few rough neighborhoods in AC, but none that you will wander into by mistake.
Just don't faint at the sight of a black person, and you'll be fine.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 145
August 22nd, 2017 at 6:34:59 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

AC is home to some pretty good nude bars. Places that serve drinks aren't allowed to be even topless, but places that don't can be nude. Most nude bars have a liquor/beer shop next door so you buy there, and BYOB to the club. There are a few rough neighborhoods in AC, but none that you will wander into by mistake.
Just don't faint at the sight of a black person, and you'll be fine.

This is getting scary, you and I are on the same page too much lately.

As always, common sense rules. Sad we can't teach it.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 155
August 22nd, 2017 at 7:15:17 PM permalink
Safe and unsafe areas are not real, per se, just about perception. I walk the streets night or day without fear, I'm more afraid of Chase Bank and the boys than some random brown person.
Lock her up instead!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 17
August 22nd, 2017 at 10:09:42 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Safe and unsafe areas are not real, per se, just about perception. I walk the streets night or day without fear, I'm more afraid of Chase Bank and the boys than some random brown person.

Pretty much. There are very few neighborhoods in the United States where it is actually dangerous to say, go out to dinner.

Bad neighborhoods also have cheap gas, but there is a 100% chance of being approached by a pan handler.

But, if you want to go through life constantly wetting your pants in fear, enjoy.
dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
August 22nd, 2017 at 11:06:22 PM permalink
Atlantic City is seedy place, anyone who is truly honest with themselves and others will freely admit this.
Twice I have walked from Caesar's to Resorts via Pacific Ave at about 10 p.m.
Hookers and drug dealers were offering their wares.
Needless to say I wouldn't take this trip alone.
One needs to aware of your surroundings. Avoid isolated places and don't flash cash/jewelry.
Much of the time tourists get into trouble it is because they got involved in the underground economy of drugs and/or prostitution.
A guy was playing in Vegas and a hot young girl started a conversation with him. They ended up in his room.
She used the bathroom and came back and texted on her phone. A while later she received and read a text and said she needed to use the bathroom again.
She walked towards the bathroom but instead unlocks the door letting two goons in. He was roughed up and robbed.She texted the goons the room number, they texted when they were outside the door.
Apparently the guy was a flashy dresser with lots of bling. He was advertising his wealth. I have little doubt that is why he was picked out of the crowd.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 114
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
August 22nd, 2017 at 11:26:46 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

Atlantic City is seedy place, anyone who is truly honest with themselves and others will freely admit this.
Twice I have walked from Caesar's to Resorts via Pacific Ave at about 10 p.m.
Hookers and drug dealers were offering their wares.
Needless to say I wouldn't take this trip alone.
One needs to aware of your surroundings. Avoid isolated places and don't flash cash/jewelry.
Much of the time tourists get into trouble it is because they got involved in the underground economy of drugs and/or prostitution.
A guy was playing in Vegas and a hot young girl started a conversation with him. They ended up in his room.
She used the bathroom and came back and texted on her phone. A while later she received and read a text and said she needed to use the bathroom again.
She walked towards the bathroom but instead unlocks the door letting two goons in. He was roughed up and robbed.She texted the goons the room number, they texted when they were outside the door.
Apparently the guy was a flashy dresser with lots of bling. He was advertising his wealth. I have little doubt that is why he was picked out of the crowd.

I would say I agree with most of what you said, but at the same time, I don't think that a place can be categorized as, "Generally unsafe," because people who have consorted with drug dealers and prostitutes have had ill circumstances fall upon them. I would say consorting with prostitutes and drug dealers is unsafe regardless of the general area in which those prostitutes and drug dealers are found.

I also think one is taking a risk to go to a woman's room or to have a woman go to his room when they have just met. That's not behavior that I would consider safe. Does everything turn out fine more often than not? Probably. I wouldn't really know, but certainly, the potential for danger is there.

As far as walking from place to place is concerned, I've driven from GN to Resorts, Taj Mahal, Bally's at night, and no, I would not walk the same path (or any) that I drove from place to place. I'd walk the Boardwalk at night, and have, without much of a concern. I wouldn't necessarily advise people to do that, though.

I think that if one is not actively looking for trouble, it can generally (but not always) be avoided. I also think that people should avoid areas that they are fearful of because they project fearfulness and people looking for a, "Mark," pick up on that fearfulness. If you are walking in an area and you are comfortable walking in that area, then you will not project fearfulness, but rather calmness and comfortableness. Projecting confidence won't protect you 100% of the time, but I should think fewer unsavory types will see you as a mark if you do.
Vultures can't be choosers.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 172
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:17:43 AM permalink
I grew up in the hood and was cautious about my surroundings because it is a rough place

Wen i was 13 i went by myself to the nassau colosseum and purchased hockey tickets. All white neighborhood. Never felt safer

Got mugged on the way out by a white guy who slammed me against the wall and demanded i hand over the expensive tickets (it was the playoffs that year)

He was a huge guy. No way i could hav fought him. After i handed over the tickets he hopped into a porsche waiting at the corner

I dont feel safe in white neighborhoods now any more than hood neighborhoods

• Jump to: