dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 3:41:57 PM permalink
I was talking to a friend at work and he told me an interesting story about what happened to he and his wife in A.C. a few years ago...
Both he and his wife were playing the slots at "he thinks it was Bally's but isn't certain. Anyway he is playing a machine behind his wife.
She hit for $200 and runs around back to tell hubby. He cashes out and they walk back to her machine. It literally is right behind her machine.
A woman is sitting their playing the machine! He and his wife tell her that she left money on the machine. Woman says no you didn't all the money in the machine is mine. My friend tells his wife to get anyone with a Bally's uniform. The woman stops playing and gets on her cell phone. My friend can hear part of the conversation and sees the woman looking around. She is telling someone were she is. My friend waits and waits. Finally someone shows up.
They do something with the machine and ask my friends wife what time she started playing. Then they are looking at the records on the machine.
Then this thug looking character shows up and talks to the thief. Thug starts eye-balling my friend. Thief starts yelling it's her money and they are trying to steal it. A couple security people show up.
The casino worker asks the thief how much money she put into the machine and when. She says, "I don't remember." They told her that if need be they can look at the security cameras. But if they find that she didn't put any money into the machine, she could be charged with theft. She and thug leave.
My friend told me he will never visit A.C. again. He spent the rest of the night looking over his shoulder for the return of Thug.
DanMahoney
DanMahoney
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 76
Joined: May 24, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 3:50:00 PM permalink
If I'm correct its currently not appropriate to use the term "thug" to describe someone especially one who did nothing wrong.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
April 30th, 2015 at 4:00:09 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

I was talking to a friend at work and he told me an interesting story about what happened to he and his wife in A.C. a few years ago...
Both he and his wife were playing the slots at "he thinks it was Bally's but isn't certain. Anyway he is playing a machine behind his wife.
She hit for $200 and runs around back to tell hubby. He cashes out and they walk back to her machine. It literally is right behind her machine.
A woman is sitting their playing the machine! He and his wife tell her that she left money on the machine. Woman says no you didn't all the money in the machine is mine. My friend tells his wife to get anyone with a Bally's uniform. The woman stops playing and gets on her cell phone. My friend can hear part of the conversation and sees the woman looking around. She is telling someone were she is. My friend waits and waits. Finally someone shows up.
They do something with the machine and ask my friends wife what time she started playing. Then they are looking at the records on the machine.
Then this thug looking character shows up and talks to the thief. Thug starts eye-balling my friend. Thief starts yelling it's her money and they are trying to steal it. A couple security people show up.
The casino worker asks the thief how much money she put into the machine and when. She says, "I don't remember." They told her that if need be they can look at the security cameras. But if they find that she didn't put any money into the machine, she could be charged with theft. She and thug leave.
My friend told me he will never visit A.C. again. He spent the rest of the night looking over his shoulder for the return of Thug.



I don't think the woman or her menacing friend who tried to claim your friends wife's winnings had it out for them personally. They just tried to get something for nothing.
jerrysnj
jerrysnj
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 97
Joined: Jan 8, 2015
April 30th, 2015 at 4:20:58 PM permalink
Lesson learned I hope. Never walk away from your slot machine I don't care where that machine may be. If the thief was smarter she would have cashed out and walked away.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 4:49:17 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I don't think the woman or her menacing friend who tried to claim your friends wife's winnings had it out for them personally. They just tried to get something for nothing.



sounds pretty typical of AC. I don't play many slot machines but I routinely notice people loitering that look like they are waiting to take advantage of forgotten tickets or money in slot and video poker areas. Though to be fair I imagine its a problem in many casinos around the world and not just AC.

I notice some slot players keep their money and player cards in 2 or sometimes more machines and play all at once, and often not always next to each others, so they walk around the floor between the machines. This seems like a great way to get taken advantage of by a thief (not to mention a great way to drain money into slots even faster...).

A lot of naive slot players that feel safe leaving their money and cards unattended in machines and the slot areas also seem to attract people waiting to take advantage of less attentive players.

I'm glad Bally's security managed to take care of the situation, though it would have been ideal if theft charges were still filled since they did steal your friends money, even if security forced them to return it. I would hope that they were at least kicked off of the property and blacklisted.

Though I always find it funny when people argue with security when trying to steal money, do people not realize everything is recorded?
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 648
  • Posts: 4381
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
April 30th, 2015 at 5:01:59 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

A lot of naive slot players that feel safe leaving their money and cards unattended in machines and the slot areas also seem to attract people waiting to take advantage of less attentive players.

I'm glad Bally's security managed to take care of the situation, though it would have been ideal if theft charges were still filled since they did steal your friends money, even if security forced them to return it. I would hope that they were at least kicked off of the property and blacklisted.

Though I always find it funny when people argue with security when trying to steal money, do people not realize everything is recorded?



I play e-Craps.
I routinely leave $1000+ and my players card in the machine to use the bathroom about 25' away.
but in e-Craps, you cant cash out while you have a pass/come bet till it's resolved.

did the woman cash out of the slot machine? if not, then I don't think it can be called theft.
just like if you put a $100 necktie in your pocket while walking around the store. you're not committing a crime till you leave the store.

thugs aren't the smartest of people
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
April 30th, 2015 at 5:08:25 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

I play e-Craps.
I routinely leave $ (thousand+) and my players card in the machine to use the bathroom about 25' away.
but in e-Craps, you cant cash out while you have a pass/come bet till it's resolved.

did the woman cash out of the slot machine? if not, then I don't think it can be called theft.
just like if you put a $100 necktie in your pocket while walking around the store. you're not committing a crime till you leave the store.

thugs aren't the smartest of people



The necktie example would be a crime in at least one state that I know of. Massachusetts calls it asportation.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 5:09:18 PM permalink
Quote: DanMahoney

If I'm correct its currently not appropriate to use the term "thug" to describe someone especially one who did nothing wrong.



How did hijacking an in use machine and attempting to take the money. And, then lying to security about it. How is that "doing nothing wrong"?

"Thug" is a very appropriate term especially since it sounds like they have a team and system so this is unlikely the first time they have done this.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
April 30th, 2015 at 5:17:44 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The necktie example would be a crime in at least one state that I know of. Massachusetts calls it asportation.



It is a crime in many states. Most states just call it intent to shoplift.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29023
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
April 30th, 2015 at 5:48:49 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

It is a crime in many states. Most states just call it intent to shoplift.



Yup, it's intent in most states, I believe.
But hey, try it out and see..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
April 30th, 2015 at 6:09:57 PM permalink
Quote: jerrysnj

Lesson learned I hope. Never walk away from your slot machine I don't care where that machine may be. If the thief was smarter she would have cashed out and walked away.



The other lesson is if you find credits on a machine, put in some of your own money, then cash out

(not advocating stealing, but I did find $15 that way once and routinely find >$1)
DanMahoney
DanMahoney
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 76
Joined: May 24, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 6:12:26 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

How did hijacking an in use machine and attempting to take the money. And, then lying to security about it. How is that "doing nothing wrong"?

"Thug" is a very appropriate term especially since it sounds like they have a team and system so this is unlikely the first time they have done this.



In the old days use of thug would be appropriate but after the initiation of newspeak it is now a racial slur.
dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 6:23:25 PM permalink
Thug is a racial slur?
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-riots-thug-n-word/
Obama and the Black mayor of Baltimore used Thug to describe looters.
Unless like the councilman you want to call them children.
I can see it now, "look the children are throwing rocks at the police".
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
April 30th, 2015 at 6:31:53 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

The other lesson is if you find credits on a machine, put in some of your own money, then cash out

(not advocating stealing, but I did find $15 that way once and routinely find >$1)



In PA I was almost arrested for this and it wasn't my fault. I sat down at a quarter slot. Put in a $20 and sphn. After the losing spin my credits changed to something like 249. I had no idea what happened. About 40 minutes later I was tapped on my shoulder and threatened that if I didn't pay it back I would be arrested.

Apparently what happened was the person before me had $50 left and cashed out. Th voucher printed for .50. After I played the slot knew of the error and put 49.50 back onto the machine. When the person went to cash out they noticed the issue.

I luckily had the money left. I think I only had 60 left in my pocket.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 30th, 2015 at 6:34:07 PM permalink
To come down on AC for this is ridiculous.This happens everywhere, even in vegas often.


You should be thankful it happen in AC.

I have had similar things happen to me in Vegas, and guess what? I got shafted.

Most recently in a casino just off the strip at the bar, I walked away from a machine and forgot to cash out approximately $100. I don't really remember the amount anymore. I used a slot ticket.

I walked back about 2 minutes later. A fairly honest looking guy about 28 was sitting their playing with his friend next to him.

I wanted to be polite, because I felt this guy would say, oops sorry(there's a slight chance he put in a $20 himself). He was playing $4 a pop on keno (kind of rare in this place) he had approximately what I left in the machine.

Instead of saying, "That's my money!"(thats what I should have said). I said, "when you sat down did you notice you had credits already on there?" He had a look on his face like he just got caught stealing and he got nervous. His buddy quickly chimed in and said, "NO".

I called security and the floor over and they wouldn't do anything, even after the bartender acknowledged I was just there playing. I asked them to check the cameras and they refused.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another time a casino actually checked the camera and they had witnesses of some thuggish looking couple stealing a $700 ticket, and they refused to do anything.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 6:35:12 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

In PA I was almost arrested for this and it wasn't my fault. I sat down at a quarter slot. Put in a $20 and sphn. After the losing spin my credits changed to something like 249. I had no idea what happened. About 40 minutes later I was tapped on my shoulder and threatened that if I didn't pay it back I would be arrested.

Apparently what happened was the person before me had $50 left and cashed out. Th voucher printed for .50. After I played the slot knew of the error and put 49.50 back onto the machine. When the person went to cash out they noticed the issue.

I luckily had the money left. I think I only had 60 left in my pocket.


I believe it is illegal in A.C. as well. Otherwise the " Voucher Vultures" would have a free rein of casinos.
I need clarity, is "Voucher Vulture" a slur too?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
April 30th, 2015 at 6:42:35 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

To come down on AC for this is ridiculous.This happens everywhere, even in vegas often.


You should be thankful it happen in AC.

I have had similar things happen to me in Vegas, and guess what? I got shafted.

Most recently in a casino just off the strip at the bar, I walked away from a machine and forgot to cash out approximately $100. I don't really remember the amount anymore. I used a slot ticket.

I walked back about 2 minutes later. A fairly honest looking guy about 28 was sitting their playing with his friend next to him.

I wanted to be polite, because I felt this guy would say, oops sorry(there's a slight chance he put in a $20 himself). He was playing $4 a pop on keno (kind of rare in this place) he had approximately what I left in the machine.

Instead of saying, "That's my money!"(thats what I should have said). I said, "when you sat down did you notice you had credits already on there?" He had a look on his face like he just got caught stealing and he got nervous. His buddy quickly chimed in and said, "NO".

I called security and the floor over and they wouldn't do anything, even after the bartender acknowledged I was just there playing. I asked them to check the cameras and they refused.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another time a casino actually checked the camera and they had witnesses of some thuggish looking couple stealing a $700 ticket, and they refused to do anything.


I think this happens often. Few years ago my wife and I were playing 1 machine and we were done and neither one of us hit the cash out button. When I realized I ran back and it was gone. I grabbed security and they actually pulled up the diagnostics on the machine. He radioed to someone the voucher number and luckily it wasn't cashed yet so they stopped payment on it. He had my wife sign a form and he gave her the cash. He told me that whenever the person tries to cash the ticket they are going to be in a world of trouble. This was at Harrah philadelphia

My father ran to the bathroom and left $30 in a machine and asked a lady to watch the machine. He said he tilted the chair forward. When he got back the lady told him that as soon as he left someone walked by and hit the cash out button, took the voucher and took off. He called security and they basically berated him for leaving money behind and said tough luck. This happened in downtown vegas, can't recall which place.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DanMahoney
DanMahoney
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 76
Joined: May 24, 2014
April 30th, 2015 at 6:45:27 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

I believe it is illegal in A.C. as well. Otherwise the " Voucher Vultures" would have a free rein of casinos.
I need clarity, is "Voucher Vulture" a slur too?



Indeed it is. The PC words would be "Voucher Fisherman". Good catch.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
April 30th, 2015 at 6:47:54 PM permalink
Quote: dave12038457

Thug is a racial slur?
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-riots-thug-n-word/
Obama and the Black mayor of Baltimore used Thug to describe looters.
Unless like the councilman you want to call them children.
I can see it now, "look the children are throwing rocks at the police".


The real thugs are in the white house and capitol building!
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
April 30th, 2015 at 6:55:26 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I think this happens often. Few years ago my wife and I were playing 1 machine and we were done and neither one of us hit the cash out button. When I realized I ran back and it was gone. I grabbed security and they actually pulled up the diagnostics on the machine. He radioed to someone the voucher number and luckily it wasn't cashed yet so they stopped payment on it. He had my wife sign a form and he gave her the cash. He told me that whenever the person tries to cash the ticket they are going to be in a world of trouble. This was at Harrah philadelphia

My father ran to the bathroom and left $30 in a machine and asked a lady to watch the machine. He said he tilted the chair forward. When he got back the lady told him that as soon as he left someone walked by and hit the cash out button, took the voucher and took off. He called security and they basically berated him for leaving money behind and said tough luck. This happened in downtown vegas, can't recall which place.



This is exactly what happen ....Few years ago my GF and I were playing 1 machine and we were done and neither one of us hit the cash out button.

I though she did, she though I did.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 12:28:52 AM permalink
I was playing video poker with a friend. He already knew how to play, but I was watching over making sure he wasn't messing up. (Side note: he figured out he's dislexyc or whatever cuz he could hardly tell the difference between 6's and 9's...)

Anyway, I stepped back from the machine to smoke a cigarette since he doesn't like smoke and I felt like relaxing for a min or two and not playing while smoking. Whatever doesn't matter.

Its like 2am and the store is completely dead, no one around in our block/section except the two of us. I'm about 2 maybe 3 feet behind the machine (like there's machine then chair then me with no room between), and maybe $1k in the machine. Out of nowhere this TN shows up out of nowhere, walks right in front of me and tries to put a voucher into my machine. It was the weirdest thing. I immediately put my hand in front of the cash-slot thing and say something like "uhh, no. hey I'm playing this machine.". He looks at me like I got a problem, calls me an ashhole, then walks away pissed off. I was completely shocked -- how could you (him) be that stupid? I know plenty of people would have had no problem putting a fist through his face for trying that move.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12413
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 1:05:40 AM permalink
Nothing that people won't stoop to.

I was converting a TITO back to cash in the change machine, and I had a feeling someone was watching me and looked up and to the side and see this lady with this strange look, looking at me. Okay, whatever, this is Vegas, there's no end of odd characters. I walk away and kind of keep an eye on her. I see her walk over to the machine and snatch a dollar bill off the floor. Don't even think it was mine as she was looking at me even before it spit out my conversion. Just waiting for me to leave.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 1:13:43 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Nothing that people won't stoop to.

I was converting a TITO back to cash in the change machine, and I had a feeling someone was watching me and looked up and to the side and see this lady with this strange look, looking at me. Okay, whatever, this is Vegas, there's no end of odd characters. I walk away and kind of keep an eye on her. I see her walk over to the machine and snatch a dollar bill off the floor. Don't even think it was mine as she was looking at me even before it spit out my conversion. Just waiting for me to leave.



At least she was after the $1 on the floor -- not the $13.82 you were cashing out!! :-)
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
May 1st, 2015 at 2:15:48 AM permalink
Indeed this happens often. I was in the high limit room at Caesars Palace (Vegas) when a guy hits a straight flush on a $5 machine (pays $1250). He gets his hand pay, but thinking that the machine is still locked up, he darts off to the men's room. When he returns another $800 or so that was in the machine was cashed out.

There is something else I do when playing. I always have my hand over the cashout button when someone talks to me. Someone saying hello could be a distraction so an accomplice can hit the cashout button and rob you.

About a year ago there was a "ring" that did this at Rincon. Security caught them.

And I almost got "hit" when a lady brushed behind me in her wheel chair and as I looked to my right someone else was approaching my machine from the left where the cashout button was. But my hand was on the button.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 4:39:31 AM permalink
That's smart, Alan. I think I will start using that technique -- put hand over cash out button when someone is talking to you.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
May 1st, 2015 at 6:51:31 AM permalink
When I was fairly new to free play I went up to any old machine to see if my $75 was indeed available. This was at Silverton. So after I checked it out I went to play an 8/5 Bonus Poker machine which I'm pretty sure was their best offering. Well, I couldn't get the $75 to come up using my pin. I called over a slot attendant and while going through the process in front of her I told her that I was sure I had the $75 free play because I had verified it on another machine. That's when she told me that once you pull it up on a machine you have to play it through. So we went looking for the machine where I had loaded it and after a little searching I found it; it still had the $75 in credits on the screen after about 20 minutes.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 7:29:39 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

When I was fairly new to free play I went up to any old machine to see if my $75 was indeed available. This was at Silverton. So after I checked it out I went to play an 8/5 Bonus Poker machine which I'm pretty sure was their best offering. Well, I couldn't get the $75 to come up using my pin. I called over a slot attendant and while going through the process in front of her I told her that I was sure I had the $75 free play because I had verified it on another machine. That's when she told me that once you pull it up on a machine you have to play it through. So we went looking for the machine where I had loaded it and after a little searching I found it; it still had the $75 in credits on the screen after about 20 minutes.


In a situation like this, the first thing to do is hit "cash out." If it won't let you, then play through it like normal.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
May 1st, 2015 at 12:41:57 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Indeed this happens often. I was in the high limit room at Caesars Palace (Vegas) when a guy hits a straight flush on a $5 machine (pays $1250). He gets his hand pay, but thinking that the machine is still locked up, he darts off to the men's room. When he returns another $800 or so that was in the machine was cashed out.

There is something else I do when playing. I always have my hand over the cashout button when someone talks to me. Someone saying hello could be a distraction so an accomplice can hit the cashout button and rob you.

About a year ago there was a "ring" that did this at Rincon. Security caught them.

And I almost got "hit" when a lady brushed behind me in her wheel chair and as I looked to my right someone else was approaching my machine from the left where the cashout button was. But my hand was on the button.

Usually anytime someone touches/bumps me in public place my hand automatically goes to my wallet as a reflex.
Some are so good/fast I'm not sure if its to late by the time they bump you and you grab for you're wallet.

I don't think I have ever been pickpocketed, they haven't got my wallet yet. Has anyone been a pickpocket victim? You think it would happen all the time in Vegas especially walking on thee strip. It's scary what some guys can do.

Most machine bill dispensers make a extra loud distinct printing sound when you cash out it's hard to miss that.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29023
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 12:52:21 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Has anyone been a pickpocket victim? .



In Vegas I always have my wallet in
a buttoned pants pocket where they
can't get at it. Or in a deep pocket
of cargo pants that are buttoned.

Hemingway had a special sports coat
made that had secret pockets for when
he traveled. He was always a target
because he was famous.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 295
Joined: Feb 28, 2011
May 1st, 2015 at 1:07:01 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Usually anytime someone touches/bumps me in public place my hand automatically goes to my wallet as a reflex.
Some are so good/fast I'm not sure if its to late by the time they bump you and you grab for you're wallet.



The really good pickpockets look for that reaction to identify where your wallet is located. Then they or an accomplice grabs it more easily a few seconds later.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 1:29:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

In Vegas I always have my wallet in
a buttoned pants pocket where they
can't get at it. Or in a deep pocket
of cargo pants that are buttoned.

Hemingway had a special sports coat
made that had secret pockets for when
he traveled. He was always a target
because he was famous.



Another good solution is a wallet chain.
blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 330
Joined: Oct 15, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 1:46:02 PM permalink
My son and I were playing slots at Casino Royale a few years back, and a guy walked up to us and asked if we were still going to be in Vegas the following evening. The guy was dressed nicely and seemed normal, but it still set off my radar a little bit.

I responded with a semi-vague answer: "I don't know, probably so. How come?"

He said he was leaving that day and had some tickets to the Cirque show 'O' at the Bellagio. I told him thanks, but that we had already used up our show budget.

He said that we seemed like nice folks, and that since the tickets were comped to him he would give them to us for free. He said he'd rather see the tickets used versus them just going to waste since he wouldn't be there to use them. This seemed reasonable, so my radar eased back down.

I said that was very kind and we really appreciated his generosity. I was smiling on the inside at the thought of seeing 'O', and was very pleased about getting free tickets. I'm also feeling pretty good about the fact that there are some good people out there who will randomly do something nice for somebody else.

I'm expecting the dude to produce the tickets at that point, but instead the guy says: "Let me see your cell phone so I can call over to the Bellagio to arrange for you to pick up the comped tickets."

Sigh, radar kicks back on in full force. :/

I just looked at the guy for about ten seconds, and then told him thanks for the offer on the free tickets but I think I'm going to have to pass.

He got real bent out of shape and seemed very offended that I wasn't willing to let him use my cell phone to call over there. He said something to the effect of 'nobody trusts anybody anymore' in a disgusted tone and walked away.

Like I said, the guy seemed normal but something just didn't feel right about the situation.


So who knows, I may have cheated myself out of a free pair of tickets to see 'O'.

But I'd like to think the more likely scenario is that I saved myself from seeing my cell phone being whisked away down the Strip like a relay-runner's baton.
You serious, Clark?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29023
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 2:00:17 PM permalink
Quote: blount2000


But I'd like to think the more likely scenario is that I saved myself from seeing my cell phone being whisked away down the Strip like a relay-runner's baton.



You can tell the hotel you have given your
comped tickets to somebody else? And
they will say OK? Since when. Why wife
gets comps and she can't do that, she has
to be there in person.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
May 1st, 2015 at 2:18:28 PM permalink
I think this almost happened to me at the Mirage Sports Bar. Was catching up with a friend from HS that was also in Vegas at the time. We went our separate ways, and I totally forget to cash out my ticket. I remember within 90 seconds, and I see another guy put in a 20, and cash out. I adamantly say that I had money in there, and tell him I'll make them look at the cameras if needed. He calmed me down, took me to the TITO machine, and gave me my money back. But 15 seconds more, I think I'd been screwed.

Now since I've experienced that, I'm hesitant to put bigger tickets in machines.

I also accidentally did it to someone else who had a buck in a machine and returned. I immediately apologized and ran to get him his dollar back.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2107
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 2:35:14 PM permalink
I was at Resorts World and cashing out. Maybe $250 of a $200 buying, I had a good hour or two. I see 3-4 ticket machines and walk up to one... this machine literally has cash just sticking out waiting for someone to pick it up. As if somebody pressed cash out and never got their cash... nobody within 10 feet nor was anyone looking at me, $60-80 I think (It was more than $20, could have been hundreds at the bottom). I won't lie, I considered it, but remembered the laws in some states about "found" money and decided that I have big enough problems already. I tried to find someone who worked at the casino to tell, my back was turned for maybe 30 seconds, when I looked at the machine again the money was gone. I cashed out and left, as far as I know, somebody just swiped it and left the casino a winner.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
dave12038457
dave12038457
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 261
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 2:45:54 PM permalink
There was a group of pickpockets at the B bar? in Borgota a while back. Some guy was a little tipsy and had a big roll of cash. A couple of guys were talking to him then started to walk away. He realized they had pickpocketed his bankroll. He goes after them in the bar. One of the gang breaks a beer bottle over what was probably a total strangers head and they take off. The guy who assaulted the patron went one way the others went another way. On the surface it may sound odd that they would assault a stranger. But when security gets two calls from the bar, one for theft from a drunk another for a battery which one do you think they will respond to first? These guys were slick enough to create a diversion to give them more time.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
May 1st, 2015 at 4:01:15 PM permalink
Quote: blount2000

My son and I were playing slots at Casino Royale a few years back, and a guy walked up to us and asked if we were still going to be in Vegas the following evening. The guy was dressed nicely and seemed normal, but it still set off my radar a little bit.

I responded with a semi-vague answer: "I don't know, probably so. How come?"

He said he was leaving that day and had some tickets to the Cirque show 'O' at the Bellagio. I told him thanks, but that we had already used up our show budget.

He said that we seemed like nice folks, and that since the tickets were comped to him he would give them to us for free. He said he'd rather see the tickets used versus them just going to waste since he wouldn't be there to use them. This seemed reasonable, so my radar eased back down.

I said that was very kind and we really appreciated his generosity. I was smiling on the inside at the thought of seeing 'O', and was very pleased about getting free tickets. I'm also feeling pretty good about the fact that there are some good people out there who will randomly do something nice for somebody else.

I'm expecting the dude to produce the tickets at that point, but instead the guy says: "Let me see your cell phone so I can call over to the Bellagio to arrange for you to pick up the comped tickets."

Sigh, radar kicks back on in full force. :/

I just looked at the guy for about ten seconds, and then told him thanks for the offer on the free tickets but I think I'm going to have to pass.

He got real bent out of shape and seemed very offended that I wasn't willing to let him use my cell phone to call over there. He said something to the effect of 'nobody trusts anybody anymore' in a disgusted tone and walked away.

Like I said, the guy seemed normal but something just didn't feel right about the situation.


So who knows, I may have cheated myself out of a free pair of tickets to see 'O'.

But I'd like to think the more likely scenario is that I saved myself from seeing my cell phone being whisked away down the Strip like a relay-runner's baton.



I think you did the right thing. How many people don't have cell phones to make the call themselves?

But just curious, how would someone use a phone if they had to know a 4-digit access code to use it? Is is easy for savvy people to get around this? Also, don't most phones have a built in GPS tracking capability so that you would know within 10 feet where your phone was?
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
May 1st, 2015 at 4:10:14 PM permalink
This thread continues to reaffirm my hatred of slot machines. I know there are many great people on here that are slot players, and I know most slot players are great people.

But the slot areas seem to attract a lot of not so great people (thugs, scammers, thieves, etc...)

I know tables have their share of problematic people, but nothing to the scale of slot areas, mostly because they encourage loitering so it allows an environment for thugs and scammers to prosper.

A lot of casinos need to do a lot better job banning and keeping out serial scammers.
blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 330
Joined: Oct 15, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 7:04:49 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

I think you did the right thing. How many people don't have cell phones to make the call themselves?

But just curious, how would someone use a phone if they had to know a 4-digit access code to use it? Is is easy for savvy people to get around this? Also, don't most phones have a built in GPS tracking capability so that you would know within 10 feet where your phone was?


The phone I had at that time was a regular flip-phone (Samsung Alias 2), and it only made me put in my 4 digit code when powering up the phone. After the phone was on, it didn't require a code again unless it was powered off.

The smart-phone I have now (Nokia Lumia 928) does require a 4 digit code to unlock it each time, which is more secure.

Tell you what though, even with the enhanced security I'd be more afraid of someone taking my new phone since I have a ton more stuff on it versus the old phone. If they did manage to get around the security then they would have a field day!
You serious, Clark?
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 2178
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
May 1st, 2015 at 9:01:54 PM permalink
Quote: blount2000

My son and I were playing slots at Casino Royale a few years back, and a guy walked up to us and asked if we were still going to be in Vegas the following evening. The guy was dressed nicely and seemed normal, but it still set off my radar a little bit.

I responded with a semi-vague answer: "I don't know, probably so. How come?"

He said he was leaving that day and had some tickets to the Cirque show 'O' at the Bellagio. I told him thanks, but that we had already used up our show budget.

He said that we seemed like nice folks, and that since the tickets were comped to him he would give them to us for free. He said he'd rather see the tickets used versus them just going to waste since he wouldn't be there to use them. This seemed reasonable, so my radar eased back down.

I said that was very kind and we really appreciated his generosity. I was smiling on the inside at the thought of seeing 'O', and was very pleased about getting free tickets. I'm also feeling pretty good about the fact that there are some good people out there who will randomly do something nice for somebody else.

I'm expecting the dude to produce the tickets at that point, but instead the guy says: "Let me see your cell phone so I can call over to the Bellagio to arrange for you to pick up the comped tickets."

Sigh, radar kicks back on in full force. :/

I just looked at the guy for about ten seconds, and then told him thanks for the offer on the free tickets but I think I'm going to have to pass.

He got real bent out of shape and seemed very offended that I wasn't willing to let him use my cell phone to call over there. He said something to the effect of 'nobody trusts anybody anymore' in a disgusted tone and walked away.

Like I said, the guy seemed normal but something just didn't feel right about the situation.


So who knows, I may have cheated myself out of a free pair of tickets to see 'O'.

But I'd like to think the more likely scenario is that I saved myself from seeing my cell phone being whisked away down the Strip like a relay-runner's baton.



How far from the exit were you? The longer he had to run to reach an exit the more likely he was legit. (But I don't think he was legit.) What's he doing in Casino Royale with "O" tickets to give away? He could have sold them for 1/3 value pretty easily I would think. Do you look like someone who could outrun him and get nasty if you caught him?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
May 1st, 2015 at 11:01:17 PM permalink
I'm right handed, and I keep my wallet in my front, right pocket. It is the hardest place for a pickpocket and it is also the place where your hand can reach fastest if you ever feel anything.

The real danger is that a pickpocket can use a knife or razor blade to cut the fabric of your pants to "open" the pocket. This will most likely happen when you are not moving and "stuck" in a crowd -- perhaps waiting to enter a sporting event, waiting to get on an escalator, waiting for an elevator, waiting for the walk signal at a crowded intersection.

I always walk in crowded areas with my fingertips in the top of my pocket that has my wallet. This can block a pickpocket or I can feel if my wallet moves.

One more: when walking with your lady, her handbag should be between the two of you -- and she should never have it on the "outside" of the two of you.

If she is sitting at a machine in Vegas the handbag should be square on her lap.

On our last trip to Vegas: Gwen got two pair of shoes from Jimmy Choo. On the way back to our room at Caesars to put the shoes away, we stopped at a video poker machine. She put the shoes in the bag by her feet, and kept her purse on her lap. She cashed out a decent win and in her enthusiasm she left the shoes on the floor next to the machine in the Forum casino. We got to Cleopatra's Barge when I said to her "do you love your shoes?" And that's when she realized she left the shoes in the Forum casino. At least 8 minutes had passed. She got back to the machine and the bag with the shoes were still there.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 2107
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 11:30:32 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I'm right handed, and I keep my wallet in my front, right pocket. It is the hardest place for a pickpocket and it is also the place where your hand can reach fastest if you ever feel anything.

The real danger is that a pickpocket can use a knife or razor blade to cut the fabric of your pants to "open" the pocket. This will most likely happen when you are not moving and "stuck" in a crowd -- perhaps waiting to enter a sporting event, waiting to get on an escalator, waiting for an elevator, waiting for the walk signal at a crowded intersection.

I always walk in crowded areas with my fingertips in the top of my pocket that has my wallet. This can block a pickpocket or I can feel if my wallet moves.



We are one in the same... I always keep my wallet in one of my front pockets with my cell in the other. It can be a little uncomfortable with more than 25-30 bills, but the discomfort is worth the safety.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
May 1st, 2015 at 11:42:56 PM permalink
http://bj21.com/bj_reference/pages/giveupwallet.shtml
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
May 2nd, 2015 at 12:16:29 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

http://bj21.com/bj_reference/pages/giveupwallet.shtml



Used by many. I've always heard it called a "muggers wallet".
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
May 2nd, 2015 at 12:54:42 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I'm right handed, and I keep my wallet in my front, right pocket. It is the hardest place for a pickpocket and it is also the place where your hand can reach fastest if you ever feel anything.



Im lefthanded and use the left front. People told me thats weird to put stuff in the front pocket, but ive never been pickpocketed so im going to continue doing so.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
blount2000
blount2000
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 330
Joined: Oct 15, 2010
May 2nd, 2015 at 4:52:58 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

How far from the exit were you? The longer he had to run to reach an exit the more likely he was legit. (But I don't think he was legit.) What's he doing in Casino Royale with "O" tickets to give away? He could have sold them for 1/3 value pretty easily I would think.


We were playing on a line of machines that were right along the front edge of the casino (our backs were to the bar), so we were quite close to the exits. When he first asked for my cell phone, I thought the same thing you mentioned earlier about who doesn't have a cell phone these days.


Quote: Greasyjohn

Do you look like someone who could outrun him and get nasty if you caught him?


Outrun? Probably. Get nasty? Not so much.

You know how there are certain people you can take one look at and get the vibe of: "watch out, this is NOT a person you want to mess with unless you have excellent health insurance"?

Unfortunately, I don't think I look like one of those people.

;)
You serious, Clark?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
May 2nd, 2015 at 7:46:35 AM permalink
Quote: blount2000

We were playing on a line of machines that were right along the front edge of the casino (our backs were to the bar), so we were quite close to the exits. When he first asked for my cell phone, I thought the same thing you mentioned earlier about who doesn't have a cell phone these days.



Outrun? Probably. Get nasty? Not so much.

You know how there are certain people you can take one look at and get the vibe of: "watch out, this is NOT a person you want to mess with unless you have excellent health insurance"?

Unfortunately, I don't think I look like one of those people.

;)



My wife always worries about being held up. I have no problems walking through rough areas. I feel that no one would want to mess with me. Maybe the way I see me is wrong but it makes me confident.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 362
Joined: Oct 2, 2014
May 2nd, 2015 at 11:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

...But the slot areas seem to attract a lot of not so great people (thugs, scammers, thieves, etc...)


Finesse, gaming, and advantage, are fundamentally different from hustle, gambling, and edge, respectively. The formers suggest sustainability, sentience of "a moving target", and inherent mathematical qualities. Good poker players "lunge and parry" according to various forms of logic and game theory in general. Eg, how to "scoop" the hi-lo poker games involves basic rule-of-thumb logical approaches rather than simple or direct edges. Of course, casinos unilaterally ensure themselves of the latters; and allow for none of the formers.

Won't matter, one's level of intelligence. Whether you approach "the edge" mentality from above, or below, you're not going to "break the cycle". Doesn't matter that you don't gamble, or expressly won't bet with friends. The idea remains to "cross over" or transcend oneself. That's the "point-of-view" which is itself simultaneously a "discovery" of both question and answer.

The best place from which to see yourself and others is "on the bridges" between. Oh, to be able to make a study and life's practice of this. Not merely to go back and combine, say the underlying qualities of math with the quantitative extraction of an "edge" in a casino then, but to be able to redefine in combination the math and gambling along with the other such fundamental "point-of-views". When we leave the realm of artificial intelligence or simulation - by regression from what we want to call computer artificial intelligence - for the true as is quantum consciousness as its own sort of detailed field of possibilities. (Not the grandiose and silly academic hopes of an "inch long formula" to render infinite energy for each of us over conveniently "airbrushed" time then.)

Quote: AxelWolf

Obviously the Goal is to get paied first and forforemost. It's great if you solve the problems after the fact but how will we ever know if a paticular casino is a pain in the ass to mess with.

Agian, I agree the goal is for him to get paied, but if you need a barging chip thats not good.

The mere though you might need one is what's wrong with most onlinecasinos.


It's tough to watch such sagas like this play out, especially given Axel's brief account of his life elsewhere in the forum.

I know, Axel, you don't get it. But believe it or not, it's not too late for you either.
Nonsense is a very hard thing to keep up. Just ask the Wizard and company.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
May 2nd, 2015 at 11:31:01 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

Im lefthanded and use the left front. People told me thats weird to put stuff in the front pocket, but ive never been pickpocketed so im going to continue doing so.



There is another reason to keep your wallet in a front pocket. When you sit on your wallet in a rear pocket it can throw your spine out of alignment.

Many years ago I had a spine/nerve problem that resulted in pain shooting down my legs. My doctor suggested I move my wallet from my rear pocket to a front pocket so that I would sit "flat" in a chair.

The pain went away.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 610
Joined: Sep 3, 2013
May 2nd, 2015 at 11:53:18 AM permalink
Quote: blount2000

We were playing on a line of machines that were right along the front edge of the casino (our backs were to the bar), so we were quite close to the exits. When he first asked for my cell phone, I thought the same thing you mentioned earlier about who doesn't have a cell phone these days.



Outrun? Probably. Get nasty? Not so much.

You know how there are certain people you can take one look at and get the vibe of: "watch out, this is NOT a person you want to mess with unless you have excellent health insurance"?

Unfortunately, I don't think I look like one of those people.

;)



A guy with a fuzzy box where his face should be sure scares me.
  • Jump to: