lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
July 17th, 2019 at 7:26:04 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just buy low and sell high.

what great words of wisdom - a fabulous strategy

the entire forum owes you a great big thank you for that.......................................................... 😄
Please don't feed the trolls
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 17th, 2019 at 7:46:58 AM permalink
Buy when you are depressed and sell only after smoking one of those funny cigarettes?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 17th, 2019 at 8:04:43 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

what great words of wisdom - a fabulous strategy

the entire forum owes you a great big thank you for that.......................................................... 😄

Dress British, think Yiddish.

My grandma used to tell me to buy sheep and sell deer but I think her message was a bit garbled.

In all seriousness, I've never had a run like Tesla has given me. The stock gets high, it gets knocked down, then goes back up. I'd have to look it up but this is the fifth or sixth time I've gotten in and out with 20% or more profit in the last 18 months or so.. It will flirt with 300, then settle around 260. I'll buy and sell at 310-320.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2019 at 8:12:56 AM permalink

winners never quit - quitters never win

always live by the golden rule: do unto others before they do unto you
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 17th, 2019 at 9:06:48 AM permalink

he's planning to PUT A COMPUTER CHIP IN YOUR BRAIN
not sure if it's mandatory or you can opt out................................. 😄
if I get in on this very early does that mean I will be able to crush in fantasy football?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/tech/elon-musk-wants-hook-your-brain-directly-computers-starting-next-ncna1030631

Well, there goes Jeopardy! .

I was just musing on how learning these days has much less to do with thinking and remembering, and more about how to search effectively. (See the "how many holes in one did the PGA tour make this year?" part of that thread.)

And you post this. Lol.

More "The Matrix" than "The Borg" for me, but both are just a horrible dystopian fate. Keep them as fiction, please, World.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
July 17th, 2019 at 10:05:58 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

he's planning to PUT A COMPUTER CHIP IN YOUR BRAIN
not sure if it's mandatory or you can opt out................................. 😄
if I get in on this very early does that mean I will be able to crush in fantasy football?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/tech/elon-musk-wants-hook-your-brain-directly-computers-starting-next-ncna1030631

Well, there goes Jeopardy! .

I was just musing on how learning these days has much less to do with thinking and remembering, and more about how to search effectively. (See the "how many holes in one did the PGA tour make this year?" part of that thread.)

And you post this. Lol.

More "The Matrix" than "The Borg" for me, but both are just a horrible dystopian fate. Keep them as fiction, please, World.

We were talking about how human interconnections have changed so much in the last 40 years. It "used to be" if someone in our village wanted more information about a topic, they often would seek out one of the elders. And those elders were revered. Now everyone has a smartphone and just googles it. Making the mature and the old less relevant than they were. Just standing around with a bunch of useless facts and experience.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
July 17th, 2019 at 1:04:13 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Ah, the back roads of my memories. I first encountered the word "BORG" during the early days of the Jonbenet Ramsey case and assumed it was some acronym for Bent On Ramsey Guilt or the like. I soon found out it was Lou Smit's expression relating to a science fiction story. The Matrix, I learned about much later. But dystopian? It is odd how things have changed. Consider the endless manhours wasted on The Unabomber case. He could have self published his manifesto for about four thousand dollars. Yet the major tenets of The Manifesto have come true. Anyone tried living w/o a cell phone recently?

dystopian? I recall reading Brave New World and not thinking anything was amiss at all. I fear we will have new definitions for utopian and dystopian.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 17th, 2019 at 1:12:02 PM permalink

My grandma used to tell me to buy sheep and sell deer but I think her message was a bit garbled.

In all seriousness, I've never had a run like Tesla has given me. The stock gets high, it gets knocked down, then goes back up. I'd have to look it up but this is the fifth or sixth time I've gotten in and out with 20% or more profit in the last 18 months or so.. It will flirt with 300, then settle around 260. I'll buy and sell at 310-320.

My brother in law has done the same thing. He has also done the same thing with Amazon. And a few other stocks he believes he knows better than Wall Street the present value of.
Decides he feels a stock is really 'worth' $32. Buy at 30, sell when 35. Rebuy if drops to 31 sell when back up to 35. Rinse and repeat. My fear is I am not smart enough to "know" that the $30 stock will ever go to $35, and I may buy at $30 and sell at $0. (See Enron, Comdisco, Loewen) (3 stocks I bought which went bankrupt)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 17th, 2019 at 1:13:29 PM permalink
just about everybody has immediate access to vast stores of knowledge now
but very few have wisdom
there is a great big difference

will a computer ever be able to produce a work of literature as meaningful and important as the works of Dostoevsky or Shakespeare?

I'm not saying no, but right now it can't - it's not even close
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
odiousgambit
July 17th, 2019 at 1:20:44 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My fear is I am not smart enough to "know"

your fear is well placed

the book "Education of a Speculator" by Victor Niederhoffer - he was bragging and touting his strategies

for many years the guy made big bucks for himself and his clients (he ran a hedge fund) selling naked calls

then in one day in 1997 the market had a big drop and he lost all of his own money and all of his clients money

now his education is complete
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 17th, 2019 at 2:26:35 PM permalink
Black cop shot by black person in a terrible black dominated area in Pittsburgh. Getting almost no press and definitely no riots.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 17th, 2019 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
My bad, black empowerment group is having press conference about the shooting. There have been 11 shootings in this area in the last month. The black empowerment people are pissed. They are basically cussing out the entire part of the city. 11 shootings and not an single suspect because no one will talk. Cop shot at party with like 50 people there and no one knows who did it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 17th, 2019 at 2:55:10 PM permalink

will a computer ever be able to produce a work of literature as meaningful and important as the works of Dostoevsky or Shakespeare?

You sure about that? I've read Shakespeare before... I could probably empty a box of Alpha-Bits on the floor and come up with something just as comprehensible.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
July 17th, 2019 at 3:50:35 PM permalink
Shakespeare is trash. I want those wasted school days spent reading that garbage back. Nathan metaphors are superior literature.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
petroglyph
July 17th, 2019 at 4:45:31 PM permalink
It turns out that the computer that could beat top players in a no limit cash game...

Cannot do so. For one thing, the program can only play with certain amounts of chips.

They made a lot of progress, but the news story was clickbait.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 17th, 2019 at 4:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

It turns out that the computer that could beat top players in a no limit cash game...

Cannot do so. For one thing, the program can only play with certain amounts of chips.

No limit makes for alot of variation. How would a person define all of the variables to a machine? A whole lot different than programming for a few different possibilities in limit.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 17th, 2019 at 6:07:04 PM permalink

your fear is well placed

the book "Education of a Speculator" by Victor Niederhoffer - he was bragging and touting his strategies

for many years the guy made big bucks for himself and his clients (he ran a hedge fund) selling naked calls

then in one day in 1997 the market had a big drop and he lost all of his own money and all of his clients money

now his education is complete

He would have made money selling naked calls if the market had a big drop. Must have been naked puts he was writing.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
unJon
unJon
July 17th, 2019 at 6:08:36 PM permalink

Give it time. It will happen.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
unJon
unJon
July 17th, 2019 at 6:10:34 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

No limit makes for alot of variation. How would a person define all of the variables to a machine? A whole lot different than programming for a few different possibilities in limit.

(Sorry for serial posts. Meant to multiquote and screed it up.)

With a neural network you don’t have to define all the rules. Just need a sufficient amount of processing speed/time to let the algorithm play quadrillions of hands against itself and its 7 identical itselfs.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
petroglyphbeachbumbabsRigondeaux
July 17th, 2019 at 6:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Consider the endless manhours wasted on The Unabomber case. He could have self published his manifesto for about four thousand dollars. Yet the major tenets of The Manifesto have come true. Anyone tried living w/o a cell phone recently?

Quote:

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

Carl Sagan, 1995
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
July 17th, 2019 at 6:26:23 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Black cop shot by black person in a terrible black dominated area in Pittsburgh. Getting almost no press and definitely no riots.

Should it get press?
No riots is a good thing.
How many cops get shot in 1 year.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 17th, 2019 at 6:39:29 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Should it get press?
No riots is a good thing.
How many cops get shot in 1 year.

About 40-50 cops are shot or stabbed to death per year. About 100 more die in car crashes.

They shoot 1000-1200 people to death.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
odiousgambit
July 18th, 2019 at 3:04:24 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

You sure about that? I've read Shakespeare before... I could probably empty a box of Alpha-Bits on the floor and come up with something just as comprehensible.

Quote: mcallister3200

Shakespeare is trash. I want those wasted school days spent reading that garbage

I'm going to send a letter to every single college in this county, they almost all teach Shakespeare, and tell them it is a big mistake
you 2 guys have 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐧 that Shakespeare is nonsensical trash

give me a couple of weeks and it will be completely removed from their curriculums
your comments carry a lot of weight

any other universally renowned writers you would like to disparage before I start writing my letters?
William Faulkner maybe? how about Hemingway - are they trash too?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
July 18th, 2019 at 3:53:04 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

How many black people does it take to start a riot?

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
July 18th, 2019 at 4:04:07 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

At the end of the day, it’s mostly just math. Make a decision tree (idk if that’s what it’s called) where you assign a % chance to do a certain action. EG: With AA preflop you come up with “95% raise, 5% call, 0% fold”. Of those raises, 50% is a 3-bet, 45% is a (idk insert other crap), etc. or whatever the optimal decisions and probabilities are.

With machine learning (probably the best route) it can learn how most players play as well as specialize how specific players play. Since you can see all the hole cards after the hand ends, this makes it super easy for the machine to learn how others play very very quickly.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
July 18th, 2019 at 5:59:57 AM permalink

how about Hemingway - are they trash too?

Hemingway who?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 18th, 2019 at 6:28:25 AM permalink

I'm going to send a letter to every single college in this county, they almost all teach Shakespeare, and tell them it is a big mistake

give me a couple of weeks and it will be completely removed from their curriculums

any other universally renowned writers you would like to disparage before I start writing my letters?

I can disparage “writers” all day. Probably why I don’t know when or how to break into a new paragraph;) I prefer the term bum. Sure write a letter to the dozen colleges in your county.

Disparage Faulkner and Hemingway? Ok sure why not too easy. The rantings of a mentally ill man who committed suicide, and both alcoholics who fashioned their appearance like they belonged in Berlin rather than America during the era they lived.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 18th, 2019 at 8:14:19 AM permalink
If y'all have Amazon Prime, check out The Gilded Age. They were fighting all the same problems 120 years ago that we're dealing with today, but worse.

Hemingway is overrated, but readable. James Joyce is absolute garbage, though, so we can definitely get rid of him. Catcher in the Rye is trash, too. I haven't had an English class since the 90's, so I don't know what's being taught now. I hope it's not the same old crap that I had to read. They seriously need to mix it up a bit with the genres and get some more modern authors in there. I would have enjoyed things and learned so much more if they had us read stuff like Robert Heinlein, Tom Clancy, Isaac Asimov, Michael Crichton, Jules Verne, Tolstoy, Lovecraft, etc.

But no, lets just read the same five bland mediocre authors that boring old white men have been jerking themselves off over for decades/centuries because we're too lazy to update the lesson plan.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2019 at 8:24:55 AM permalink
okay guys you can disparage all you want
Shakespeare for example - he died around 1616

he's been read by billions of people
his plays have been performed tens of thousands of times

of the billions who have read him I would estimate about 10% saw great value in what he wrote

that works out to be tens of millions

so, when its your turn to say goodbye

afterwards -

how many people are going to read what you've written?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 18th, 2019 at 8:47:01 AM permalink
I’m not sure Shakespeare was the originator of his own stuff. Doesn’t make sense that a human would write that sort of stuff. I think there’s a non zero chance that it’s like some super smart horse like Mr. Ed and William just copied it down on paper. Now if you consider the possibility that those works of literature may have come from the horses mouth, so to speak, then that would be truly amazing and worth remembering for centuries.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2019 at 8:53:13 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I’m not sure Shakespeare

now I remember you - you're the guy that said that east coast trees really suck

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
July 18th, 2019 at 8:54:49 AM permalink

They shoot 1000-1200 people to death.

TigerWu
TigerWu
July 18th, 2019 at 8:56:25 AM permalink

so, when its your turn to say goodbye

afterwards -

how many people are going to read what you've written?

Probably none. And I don't care. That's not how I personally measure the success of my life. And that doesn't mean that I can't say I think Shakespeare sucks.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2019 at 9:14:59 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

And that doesn't mean that I can't say I think Shakespeare sucks.

nobody said you couldn't say it. nobody
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
July 18th, 2019 at 9:18:39 AM permalink

now I remember you - you're the guy that said that east coast trees really suck

As you can see from the picture, those leaves are literally dying to get away from those evil east coast trees.
TigerWu
TigerWu
July 18th, 2019 at 12:53:56 PM permalink

nobody said you couldn't say it. nobody

So what's with the pretentious arrogance:

Get over yourself.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 18th, 2019 at 9:29:16 PM permalink
Just doin some book learning a and a came across this.

"Tis a common practice. And the philosopher Bion said pleasantly of the king, who by handsful pulled his hair off his head for sorrow, “Does this man think that baldness is a remedy for grief?”—[Cicero, Tusc. Quest., iii. 26.]—Who has not seen peevish gamesters chew and swallow the cards, and swallow the dice, in revenge for the loss of their money?"

Written in 1580.

Never seen anyone swallow the dice. But seen plenty behave similarly.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 19th, 2019 at 12:53:00 AM permalink

Shakespeare is public domain. The school makes a killing forcing students to buy these books.

I thought everyone knows great English lit starts and stops with Mick Jones and Joe Strummer. The only ones that matter.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
RS
July 19th, 2019 at 3:04:24 AM permalink
police apply hours long pressure to get a suspect to confess to a rape and murder
after many hours he breaks down and confesses
might seem insane for a person to confess to a crime they didn't do but actually it's not all that unusual - they can't take the pressure
the police threatened him with the death penalty - he was only 20 - he believed by confessing he wouldn't be executed

22 years later the mother of the victim suspects the conviction is not valid and tracks down the real killer thru DNA
the real killer confesses that he acted alone
the man is freed - he spent 22 years in jail

the confession was coerced

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/us/angie-dodge-christopher-tapp.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 19th, 2019 at 6:07:07 AM permalink

police apply hours long pressure to get a suspect to confess to a rape and murder
after many hours he breaks down and confesses
might seem insane for a person to confess to a crime they didn't do but actually it's not all that unusual - they can't take the pressure
the police threatened him with the death penalty - he was only 20 - he believed by confessing he wouldn't be executed

It's like the worse high pressure sales pitch and it works on some people as high pressure sales pitches often work on some, or they'd stop using them.

Tire them out. Confuse them. Offer them a less expensive option of something they don't want but now view as a relief. By the time it's done. all is twisted around and they bought something they didn't want. Or in this case confessed.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
July 19th, 2019 at 8:05:40 AM permalink

"Who has not seen peevish gamesters chew and swallow the cards......"

Guarantee you that happens to this day on more than one high-limit Baccarat table....
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 19th, 2019 at 9:56:36 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

It's like the worse high pressure sales pitch and it works on some people as high pressure sales pitches often work on some, or they'd stop using them.

Tire them out. Confuse them. Offer them a less expensive option of something they don't want but now view as a relief. By the time it's done. all is twisted around and they bought something they didn't want. Or in this case confessed.

Survival of the fittest, let the weak minded perish.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 19th, 2019 at 10:32:45 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Survival of the fittest, let the weak minded perish.

are you going to be saying that when you get old and are no longer strong physically or mentally?

I doubt it. I think you'll sing a different tune
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 19th, 2019 at 12:12:57 PM permalink

are you going to be saying that when you get old and are no longer strong physically or mentally?

You are confused on who you are talking to.😀
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Hullabaloopetroglyph
July 19th, 2019 at 12:15:03 PM permalink

I am already old and weak and yes I will always say it. I am going in for my 23rd surgery next month and if I don't wake up I am alright with that. I plan on updating my will and other legal paperwork next week. I have lived 53 years and I am convinced future years wil only be worse. If I perish, so be it. It will be a moment to celebrate, not mourn.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 19th, 2019 at 12:20:19 PM permalink

I am already old and weak and yes I will always say it. I am going in for my 23rd surgery next month and if I don't wake up I am alright with that. I plan on updating my will and other legal paperwork next week. I have lived 53 years and I am convinced future years wil only be worse. If I perish, so be it. It will be a moment to celebrate, not mourn.

good luck with your medical issues
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 19th, 2019 at 1:29:12 PM permalink

You wouldn't know it. You always seem to be smiling and in good spirits whenever I have seen or talked to you.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 19th, 2019 at 1:30:53 PM permalink

I am already old and weak and yes I will always say it. I am going in for my 23rd surgery next month and if I don't wake up I am alright with that. I plan on updating my will and other legal paperwork n

Next week. I have lived 53 years and I am convinced future years wil only be worse. If I perish, so be it. It will be a moment to celebrate, not mourn.

If you have a near death experience can you ask some questions, like cures to diseases? Something useful instead of just talking up a relative.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
July 19th, 2019 at 2:15:11 PM permalink

Can I ask, are most of those surgery's spine related?
  • Jump to: