Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 16th, 2011 at 7:43:01 PM permalink
How many pancakes does it take to fill a doghouse?

How much does a dolphin cost?

How much does the Sun weigh?

I hope I can get some help here.
A falling knife has no handle.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
November 16th, 2011 at 8:00:42 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Assume a medium-sized pancake. For a poodle-sized house, 132,225. For a Labrador retriever, 388,219. No other breeds will tolerate pancakes.

Quote:

Please specify the currency and location. Costs vary.

Quote:

Don't you mean "how often does the Sun weigh?" It is very self-conscious about its weight.

Quote:

You have ... you have ...

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 16th, 2011 at 8:12:33 PM permalink

0.00 Kilograms. In the British and American systems, that comes out to 0 pounds and 0 ounces.

Any object in free-fall, as for example a star orbiting a galaxy, is weightless.

If you want to know the mass of the Sun, that's a different question.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 17th, 2011 at 4:00:29 AM permalink
Your answer should have been given in Newtons, the correct unit of measurement for weight. Mass is measured in kg.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
November 17th, 2011 at 9:12:10 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Your answer should have been given in Newtons, the correct unit of measurement for weight. Mass is measured in kg.

In physics Newtons are a measure of force. Weitgh is a kind of force, so it can be stated in Newtons. But so can thrust, another measure of force. In any case, there are kilograms of mass and kilograms of force, which happen to be equivalent under Earth normal conditions. meaning one kilo of mass equals one kilo of weight in Earth's gravitational field. I think there's a similar arrangement for pounds. So measuring your weight in an Earth-bound scale, also measures your mass.

The Sun still has a weight of 0.00 Newtons, 0.00 kilograms and zero pound plus zero ounces.

:P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
November 17th, 2011 at 9:52:36 AM permalink
I lied and voted the have math degree choice. If everyone thinks having a degree in math from the Univ. of Texas dated 1968 makes me ever a math genius, or still a math genius if I ever was, you are mistaken. Can New post anything more unnecessary than this?

I somehow posted this in the wrong thread, or someone moved it. Bad hair day?
Mosca
Mosca
November 17th, 2011 at 2:36:52 PM permalink
Seeing as how this is new age math, I am free to accept the answers that I find most pleasing. Therefore, I choose Ms Gale's answer for pancakes/doghouse. The other answers leave me feeling unsettled, so I choose against them. For now, I will use:

For "How much does a dolphin cost?" the answer will be, "twelve." Large dolphins cost "TWELVE!" (When spoken, you shout this.)

For "How much does the Sun weigh?" I will decide, "The Sun weighs quite a bit, I'm told."

Math is easy, once you get the hang of it.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 17th, 2011 at 5:19:16 PM permalink

I understand you can get one for free with the right rod and reel, or net combo. Apparently, it is a growing business.

If the sun were packed into a container the size of basketball, and you put it on the scale at my doctor's office (he has a pretty good scale, with LCD numbers, and metric units), it would read, "2x10^30 kg". Of course you wouldn't actually be able to read the scale since squeezing the sun into a container the size of a basketball would make the sky go dark, and my doctor doesn't work nights (or Wednesdays).
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
SoulChaser
SoulChaser
  • Threads: 3
November 17th, 2011 at 5:49:51 PM permalink

Just one. After that, it's no longer empty.

Cost will vary, but it will be affected by supply and demand in your area.

How much *what* does the Sun weigh? Whatever it is that the Sun weighs, I'm sure it weighs just what it needs and not a bit more.

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 17th, 2011 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
I came here for a look at crazy math, instead I feel as though I've fallen into a Monty Python skit.

But FYI, I'm afraid dolphin (aka mahi-mahi) is $17.99 at the local Red Lobster, comes with 2 choices of side, garden or Caeser salad, and garlic rolls. Prices vary by location. Not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 18th, 2011 at 5:30:11 AM permalink
If you're lucky, you can get some dolphin with your tuna in a can. It's interesting that the world is fine with eating stupid tuna but that dolphin is off limits because they can be trained to jump in the air.

As for the weight of the sun, it's 0 because it's sitting in space. Your mass is always the same provided that you aren't moving. Your weight is how much the force of gravity is pulling you down. For example, a man weighing 100kg would weigh 16kg on the moon and 2,790kg on the surface of the sun. However, his mass is 100kg wherever he is (your mass increases as you move faster).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 18th, 2011 at 7:09:13 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

As for the weight of the sun, it's 0 because it's sitting in space. Your mass is always the same provided that you aren't moving.

The phrase "you aren't moving" doesn't really mean anything ... because motion is a relative thing.
Sun is moving around the center of the galaxy, which in turn is moving with the speed of about 600 km/s towards the galactic group, known as Centaurus Supercluster.

Quote:

Your weight is how much the force of gravity is pulling you down.

Not quite. Your weight is the force that is exerted on you by support working against the gravitational field.
Falling in an elevator, or, if you prefer, orbiting the Earth in a space station, you would be pulled down by the Earth gravitation, yet still weightless.

Quote:

(your mass increases as you move faster).

It does not. This misconception is based on relativistic formula for momentum - P = m*v*Gamma, as opposed to the classical formula, where P = m*v. If you consider a "relativistic mass" mr = m*Gamma, you could use the classical formula for momentum, simply replacing m with mr.

Mathematically, it is equivalent, however, the notion of "relativistic mass" does not have any physical meaning, as it cannot even be determined independently of an inertial reference frame, which does not make any sense for a scalar quantity.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Mosca
Mosca
November 18th, 2011 at 6:49:30 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I came here for a look at crazy math, instead I feel as though I've fallen into a Monty Python skit.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 20th, 2011 at 3:39:32 PM permalink

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour, on average, according to the Wiki.
However, being as knowledgable about swallows as I be, I can guarantee they can reach in excess of 40mph, unladen, and of their own power. (Barn variety)
I hit one on my bike once, and am relatively certain that at some point, some of it was likewise travelling at 110mph for some fractions of a second. I posthumously awarded it a World Record.
It would take 63 European Swallows to raise one coconut, according to facts I just made up.

You have to know these things when you're a king, you know.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Mosca
Mosca
November 20th, 2011 at 5:06:13 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I hit one on my bike once, and am relatively certain that at some point, some of it was likewise travelling at 110mph for some fractions of a second. I posthumously awarded it a World Record.

I hit a freakin' bird while riding a motorcycle, that little freaker hit me right in the freakin' knee. Freakin' hurt like freak.
ALFERALFER
ALFERALFER
  • Threads: 1
November 21st, 2011 at 10:25:20 AM permalink

None, she won't cook you pancakes when you are in the doghouse.

The blog, which is hosted by someone calling themselves Pngtaiji, goes on to suggest that if concerned parties are "Really serious about requesting the Dolphin Base to release the dolphin, you should officially negotiate with the Dolphin Base, with Japanese translator/lawyer, and offer them the price of the dolphin, food, and expenses for releasing the dolphin." Pngtaiji then adds that, "The price of a dolphin is $300,000 according to Ric O'Barry's most recent comment. So suggest you to start collecting money."

Read more at Suite101: Sick Dolphin in Taiji Creates a Storm of International Protest | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/news/sick-dolphin-in-taiji-creates-a-storm-of-international-protest-a395999#ixzz1eMibQvYp
  • Jump to: