12 votes (26.08%)
10 votes (21.73%)

46 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1511
October 15th, 2024 at 12:04:14 PM permalink
Charlie, that is a very impressive graphic you created! I hope you will forgive me if I don't follow down every possible situation and just post my solution below.

1. Select two adjacent holes. Flip any down switches up. If the tomb doesn't open, you will know there are one or two switches in the down position.

2. Select two opposite holes. Flip any down switches up. If the tomb doesn't open, you will know there are three up and one down.

3. Select two opposite holes. If one switch is down, flip it up and you're done. If both are up, switch one down. The switches will now be two up and two down, with the up and down switches in adjacent positions.

4. Select two opposite holes. They will be set the same way. Flip both the opposite way you found them and you will be done.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 16
October 15th, 2024 at 1:00:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Charlie, that is a very impressive graphic you created! I hope you will forgive me if I don't follow down every possible situation and just post my solution below.

1. Select two adjacent holes. Flip any down switches up. If the tomb doesn't open, you will know there are one or two switches in the down position.

2. Select two opposite holes. Flip any down switches up. If the tomb doesn't open, you will know there are three up and one down.

3. Select two opposite holes. If one switch is down, flip it up and you're done. If both are up, switch one down. The switches will now be two up and two down, with the up and down switches in adjacent positions.

4. Select two opposite holes. They will be set the same way. Flip both the opposite way you found them and you will be done.

link to original post

I may be lost but don’t see how your step 4 works.

By step three you have set it up so that the switches are

DDUU

So when you stick your hand in opposite holes the switches will definitely not be the same. It will be one D and one U.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
October 15th, 2024 at 3:15:46 PM permalink
...and see that your Step 3 corresponds to "Two Adjacent". I think you need to go through "Two opposite" before you can guarantee a win, thus this could take two moves. Also I can't see how you can avoid the possibility of having to use the alternative route (even if starting with two adjacent rather than two opposite, as the logic is similar). Thus I can only see the solution in five moves.(The "alternative route" means for the second step, if you find a red-green or green-green, then set them to red-red for a win; otherwise you find red-red and can set them to green-green to ensure the other two are red-green.)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1511
October 16th, 2024 at 2:29:12 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I may be lost but don’t see how your step 4 works.
link to original post

You're right. I'm just spent an hour on a revised solution and see that it fails.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
October 16th, 2024 at 9:29:45 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: Gialmere

Above are six pieces of rope. Imagine that you grasp the two ends of the rope and pull until the rope is straight.

Which of the six ropes will end up with a knot in them, and which ones just form loops that can be pulled out?

link to original post

A -- No loop
B -- No loop
C -- Loops
D -- Loop (figure 8 knot)
E -- No loop
F -- No loop

I must admit I got a piece of rope, mimicked these diagrams and pulled on the ends. It's possible I didn't construct some correctly.

I'd be interested to know the method to solve such puzzles mentally. I have a feeling it's some kind of odd/even thing to do with the rope going over/under itself.
link to original post

Hmm, I'm not sure what your answer is saying but...

Only C and D form knots.

Apologies for the delay. I'm having terrible computer issues and can only use my phone these days.
-----------------------------------------

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
  • Jump to: