Thread Rating:

Poll

17 votes (50%)
13 votes (38.23%)
5 votes (14.7%)
2 votes (5.88%)
11 votes (32.35%)
3 votes (8.82%)
6 votes (17.64%)
5 votes (14.7%)
10 votes (29.41%)
8 votes (23.52%)

34 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1392
  • Posts: 23448
June 14th, 2021 at 1:34:02 PM permalink
There are only 10 kinds of people -- Those who get binary arithmetic and those who don't.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1070
June 14th, 2021 at 2:20:37 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

There are only 10 kinds of people -- Those who get binary arithmetic and those who don't.

Good one. I guess this joke would only work in written form.
Last edited by: Ace2 on Jun 14, 2021
Itís all about making that GTA
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 2118
June 14th, 2021 at 6:15:10 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

It's all about the base!


Quote: DogHand

With thanks to Charlie for the hint, I get...

220 = 24 in base 3. Each number is 24 in based decreasing from 12 to 2.


Dog Hand


Correct!!
----------------------------------------





Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 2118
June 15th, 2021 at 8:13:01 AM permalink
It's toughie Tuesday. Let's go for a drive...



A 10kg box is placed on the back of a lorry. As the lorry accelerates uniformly from 0 to 36 kmh^-1 in 5 seconds, the box begins to slide. The lorry then continues to drive at a constant speed and the box comes to rest.

If the box slides 2 meters in total, and assuming g=9.8 ms^-2, find µ, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface.


[For simplicity, assume throughout that the coefficient of friction remains constant and that the dynamic friction (once the box begins sliding) is the same as the static (limiting) friction.]
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
aceside
aceside
Joined: May 14, 2021
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 66
June 15th, 2021 at 8:57:28 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

It's toughie Tuesday. Let's go for a drive...



A 10kg box is placed on the back of a lorry. As the lorry accelerates uniformly from 0 to 36 kmh^-1 in 5 seconds, the box begins to slide. The lorry then continues to drive at a constant speed and the box comes to rest.

If the box slides 2 meters in total, and assuming g=9.8 ms^-2, find µ, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface.


[For simplicity, assume throughout that the coefficient of friction remains constant and that the dynamic friction (once the box begins sliding) is the same as the static (limiting) friction.]


I used high school physics and found 0.1877551.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1392
  • Posts: 23448
June 15th, 2021 at 9:21:05 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

As the lorry accelerates uniformly from 0 to 36 kmh^-1 in 5 seconds,



What does kmh^-1 mean?

Do you mean the rate of acceleration is constant, the lorry starts from a standing position and reaches 35 kilometers per hour in five seconds?

Also, what is a lorry?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 2118
June 15th, 2021 at 9:32:01 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

What does kmh^-1 mean?

Do you mean the rate of acceleration is constant, the lorry starts from a standing position and reaches 35 kilometers per hour in five seconds?

Also, what is a lorry?


Yes, and British for "truck".
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 1070
June 15th, 2021 at 9:47:26 AM permalink
In Crapless Craps, what is the chance of winning the Fire Bet with all ten points?
Itís all about making that GTA
aceside
aceside
Joined: May 14, 2021
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 66
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
June 15th, 2021 at 10:23:02 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Yes, and British for "truck".


I havenít got a correct confirmation, so I recalculated it. My new result is mu=0.18896447.
Last edited by: aceside on Jun 15, 2021
miplet
miplet
Joined: Dec 1, 2009
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 1975
June 15th, 2021 at 11:13:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

In Crapless Craps, what is the chance of winning the Fire Bet with all ten points?



spreadsheet
ďMan BabesĒ #AxelFabulous

  • Jump to: