28 members have voted

aceside
aceside
  • Threads: 0
June 11th, 2021 at 6:04:54 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: aceside

Quote: Gialmere

It's easy Monday. Let's change things up...

g]

without being able to change a $20 bill?

I’ve read this part several times but still haven’t got its exact meaning. Can you rephrase this part into precise mathematical terms?

You cannot make exactly $20 with any combination of bills and coins. You can have more than $20, but not exactly $20.

I have thought about this again. I would state the question like this “without being able to change any partial amount to a $20 bill.”
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
June 11th, 2021 at 6:07:37 AM permalink

g]

I’ve read this part several times but still haven’t got its exact meaning. Can you rephrase this part into precise mathematical terms?

You cannot make exactly $20 with any combination of bills and coins. You can have more than $20, but not exactly $20.

I have thought about this again. I would state the question like this “without being able to change any partial amount to a $20 bill.”

That phrasing is confusing to me. Don’t understand “partial amount.” I would say either “without being able to break a 20” or “without having exact change for a 20.”
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
aceside
aceside
June 11th, 2021 at 6:15:38 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

g]

That phrasing is confusing to me. Don’t understand “partial amount.” I would say either “without being able to break a 20” or “without having exact change for a 20.”

You are right. “Without having exact change for a $20 bill” is good.
aceside
aceside
June 11th, 2021 at 6:29:54 AM permalink

g]

Also, I want to simply this question a little as below.
Using only pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, $1 bills, and $5 bills, what is the most money that you can have without having exact change for a $10 bill?
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
June 11th, 2021 at 7:48:49 AM permalink

Okay, not exactly a math puzzle...

In a game of chess, after White's fifth move, h1 is empty. (h1 is where White's king-side rook begins.)
Black's fifth move is rook to h1, checkmate.
What were the first 9 moves of the game?

This was a toughie. I kept coming up with 6 move solutions until I realized that white's knight had to wait until black's rook passed to move.

1. g4 h5
2. Bg2 h5xg4
3. Bxb7 Rxh2
4. Nh3 Bxb7
5. O-O Rh1++

A very odd set of moves for both sides!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
aceside
aceside
June 11th, 2021 at 8:35:43 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

This was a toughie. I kept coming up with 6 move solutions until I realized that white's knight had to wait until black's rook passed to move.

1. g4 h5
2. Bg2 h5xg4
3. Bxb7 Rxh2
4. Nh3 Bxb7
5. O-O Rh1++

Can anybody make a 30 second video to demonstrate these moves? That would be a lot more straight.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
June 11th, 2021 at 8:54:29 AM permalink

g]

Using only pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, $1 bills, and $5 bills, what is the most money that you can have without having exact change for a $10 bill?

Same concept I think. $10.19. Simplist is to ask most money you can have in pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters without having exact change for a dollar.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 40
June 11th, 2021 at 9:15:40 AM permalink

1. g4 h5
2. Bg2 h5xg4
3. Bxb7 Rxh2
4. Nh3 Bxb7
5. O-O Rh1++

Can anybody make a 30 second video to demonstrate these moves? That would be a lot more straight.

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
aceside
aceside
June 11th, 2021 at 9:21:10 AM permalink

g]

Same concept I think. $10.19. Simplist is to ask most money you can have in pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters without having exact change for a dollar.

Very good. Following Wizard’s solution, we have a similar:
1 quarter = $0.25
9 dimes = $0.90
4 pennies = $0.04
Total = $1.19
No nickels are required in this case.
aceside
aceside
June 11th, 2021 at 9:37:24 AM permalink

1. g4 h5
2. Bg2 h5xg4
3. Bxb7 Rxh2
4. Nh3 Bxb7
5. O-O Rh1++

This is cool. Well done.

• Jump to: