exaptly
exaptly
  • Threads: 1
October 4th, 2010 at 7:03:16 PM permalink
Hello,

I am preparing a talk about card counting for a general audience and want to use the following "extreme" examples to illustrate how one's EV changes with the constitution of the deck.

1. Imagine the first 24 cards out of a six deck shoe are aces, so the shoe is completely bereft. What is the player's EV?

2. Imagine you've played through a six deck shoe and NO aces have yet come out, so the last deck is 24/52 aces. What would the players EV be at the top of that last deck?

I have seen the tables that show the change in EV for removal of a single card. If anyone can help me calculate the effects of removing the aces altogether, or of playing through cards that are essentially half aces, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Paul
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
October 4th, 2010 at 7:59:22 PM permalink
Quote: exaptly

Hello,

I am preparing a talk about card counting for a general audience and want to use the following "extreme" examples to illustrate how one's EV changes with the constitution of the deck.

1. Imagine the first 24 cards out of a six deck shoe are aces, so the shoe is completely bereft. What is the player's EV?

2. Imagine you've played through a six deck shoe and NO aces have yet come out, so the last deck is 24/52 aces. What would the players EV be at the top of that last deck?

I have seen the tables that show the change in EV for removal of a single card. If anyone can help me calculate the effects of removing the aces altogether, or of playing through cards that are essentially half aces, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Paul

An infinite deck analysis produced these approximate answers. For a game where the dealer stands on soft 17, the player may split non-ace pairs to four hands, and late surrender is offered, a shoe with no aces would have a player's EV of about -3%. For the deck with 24 aces, the player's EV would be in the neighborhood of 13%.
exaptly
exaptly
  • Threads: 1
October 4th, 2010 at 8:01:55 PM permalink
Excellent! I appreciate the help.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 4th, 2010 at 8:27:37 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

An infinite deck analysis produced these approximate answers. For a game where the dealer stands on soft 17, the player may split non-ace pairs to four hands, and late surrender is offered, a shoe with no aces would have a player's EV of about -3%. For the deck with 24 aces, the player's EV would be in the neighborhood of 13%.

Somebody once asked me what the player advantage would be if the deck were ALL aces, and I told him that the player would have a 100% advantage. I left him scratching his head trying to figure out why.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: