gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 24th, 2016 at 9:54:09 AM permalink
I am looking to self-study to improve my math skills, and I'm wondering if anyone can make suggestions on a path to start out.

I managed to squeak by with a C in college for Calc 1 and Statistics - but eventually dropped out as a computer science major because I could not handle Calc II, differential equations, and advanced Discrete Math.

I don't think I'm stupid. I'm quite good at programming, solving problems, and critical thinking in general. But I could never get the mathematical part of my brain to fire on all cylinders. At 24 years old, I still need visual indicators like my fingers or pencil/paper to do even basic calculations - I cannot do mental math at all.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 24th, 2016 at 11:14:10 AM permalink
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/blackjack/17614-math-drills/

Or as the BJ dealer who saw me counting on my fingers said... Just remember that when you run out of fingers at 20, don't try to unzip it to get to 21.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
August 24th, 2016 at 12:02:18 PM permalink
Gambling math is generally not-very-advanced discrete math. Try figuring the odds for games like roulette and craps. Then a simple 3-reel slot machine. Then write code for a baccarat analyzer. See if you can get your numbers to match what's on the Wizard of Odds site.

Or if you're just looking for math generally, there are tons of online courses for free. I'd start at EdX:
https://www.edx.org/course/subject/math
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
August 24th, 2016 at 12:43:41 PM permalink
gamer,

edX, suggested by MathExtremist has lotsa free courses, founded by Harvard and MIT. Coursera does about the same thing, and it also partners with great universities. Udacity offers what it calls free nanodegree programs, in case you want to memorialize your learning. Each looks good to me.

But, the one I use is Kahn Academy. True, it is designed for the younger student learner. But, I think Kahn Academy embraces students all the way up thru grad school. I use it as a refresher when I want to apply some statistical tool that has gotten rusty from non-use.

Good luck in your studies.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 24th, 2016 at 2:45:10 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I am looking to self-study to improve my math skills, and I'm wondering if anyone can make suggestions on a path to start out.

Well, what's your goal? Do you want to be able to figure out how to solve calculus problems more easily? Computer science related? Gambling math? Logic? Do you want to be able to do math easier (easily?) in your head? Perhaps you want a better memory?

Whatever the case, 2 books you may want to look into, I thought they were interesting at least (unfortunately didn't finish, started them a few years back and got busy and all of a sudden it's 3 years later and now I've remember to read the books again).

101 Simple Math Tricks or something like that. Shows you different tricks and help you develop your own.....that's the beauty of math, much of it is quite simple (i.e.: not open for interpretation). You know the trick, how to multiply a number by 10 (you add a zero // move the decimal)....and probably how to multiply by 11. There's plenty more interesting ones too, if you're interested in math, obviously.

Trick to building the perfect memory .....or something like that. Basically, helps you train your brain to remember stuff better. Not gonna turn into rain-man, though. But 20 minutes after meeting someone you'll remember their name, what they said they do in their spare time, their wife & children's names.... (Assuming the person told you that information.) List of things to buy at the store.....some long number or code to remember.....something gambling related you wanna memorize or learn (i.e.: index numbers if you're a card counter, strategy for some game, multiple changing numbers in your head).....etc.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 30th, 2017 at 2:58:56 PM permalink
One year later I'm officially carving out 1-2 hours a day to take online math courses through edX/Coursera, which have free classes created by professors at top uni's.

Here's the math offerings:
https://www.edx.org/course?subject=Math&language=English
https://www.coursera.org/browse/math-and-logic?languages=en

I'm starting with College Algebra at edX, and will probably move on to Trig/Precalc and Stats from there.
  • Jump to: