boochaka
boochaka
  • Threads: 4
April 16th, 2010 at 6:54:23 AM permalink
I have a Video-poker game (Jacks or Better) which have a 5/7 payout where you can bet 1-5 credits.
I'm trying to add it the double-up bonus where every time (for now) you win,
you can play the bonus feature which lets you double-up the credits you win, four times max.
The game is choose color: you have to guess if the next card is black or red, and if you win you
have your bet doubled. You can leave with your winnings when you want.

How can I calculate the return % of the Video Poker with this bonus?
If this % is greater than 100 what can I do to lower it? One option could be that the player only has the chance to double up where he has two pairs or better?

Again, Thanks in advance.
knagl
knagl
  • Threads: 1
April 30th, 2010 at 12:45:23 AM permalink
There is no house edge and no player edge in a legitimate double-up game. The long term return of the game will not be affected by the double-up feature being enabled or disabled, as double-up is exactly a 50/50 proposition. You can read more about it here:
https://wizardofodds.com/ask-the-wizard/videopoker-doubleup/

If you're saying you have a 7/5 JoB game (full house pays 7, flush pays 5) (VP games are usually listed Full House/Flush, not the other way around), and the rest of the paytable is standard, the player return is 96.1472% (or, if you prefer, the house edge is 3.8528%), assuming perfect play and that players play 5 coins at a time to get the Royal Flush bonus.

In reality, players will not play perfectly, and not all of them will play full-coin, so the hold for the house will be greater than 3.8528 over the life of the machine. The realistic payback of this machine will be in the neighborhood of 92.1% - 94.1% (or a 5.9% to 7.9% house edge).
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
April 30th, 2010 at 7:40:24 AM permalink
the doubleup feature you are suggesting can be +EV if they first show you a card and then you decide what action to take.
knagl
knagl
  • Threads: 1
April 30th, 2010 at 1:20:33 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

the doubleup feature you are suggesting can be +EV if they first show you a card and then you decide what action to take.

Only if that card is removed from the deck for the next decision. In which case, the optimal player strategy would be to always bet the opposite color of the card shown. Typically, however, double-up features are exactly break-even 50/50 shots.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
April 30th, 2010 at 1:41:28 PM permalink
Quote: knagl

Only if that card is removed from the deck for the next decision. In which case, the optimal player strategy would be to always bet the opposite color of the card shown. Typically, however, double-up features are exactly break-even 50/50 shots.

notice i said SUGGESTING
  • Jump to: