hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
June 23rd, 2014 at 4:15:28 PM permalink
My wife and I are going to Las Vegas for New Year's Eve - we're actually flying into Vegas on Christmas Eve, driving to San Diego to visit family for Christmas, and driving back to Vegas on the 28th and staying until January 2nd. We're staying at the Mirage in one of the towers. (We're paying more than I'd like to, but given that my wife talked me into canceling vacation around Memorial Day and a leave of absence around her mom's death, I told her I would do so only if we spent New Year's in Vegas. She happily agreed.)

We're trying to plan ahead for the night of New Year's Eve. We want to be able to do a few things - find a nice place for the night, see the fireworks over the Strip, be someplace that's not geared toward rambunctious twenty-somethings (but also not toward stuffy people,) and not be bogged down in Strip traffic (we hear there will be 300,000 people on the Strip that night, and I am guessing that's a very conservative estimate.) I called the concierge at the Mirage and she said there was nothing planned yet for New Year's at the Mirage.

Has anyone been to the Vegas Strip over New Year's Eve? Anything that's an absolute must? Anything to avoid? We hear there's a restaurant at Mandalay Bay where one can see the midnight fireworks, but most places within the Strip cannot see them and one has to go outside. Mandalay Bay is, well, a bit of a distance from the Mirage, and we'd like to be back to our hotel room by three in the dadgum morning.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 23rd, 2014 at 4:19:43 PM permalink
I am guessing the place at Mandalay Bay would be the House of Blues. They have a great patio that looks right down the strip. If not the best, one of the best views in Vegas. I would be concerned that they may have a private party there on New Year's eve, you will have to check.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 23rd, 2014 at 4:21:18 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am guessing the place at Mandalay Bay would be the House of Blues. They have a great patio that looks right down the strip. If not the best, one of the best views in Vegas. I would be concerned that they may have a private party there on New Year's eve, you will have to check.

What about Mix? Don't they have a view as well (I've actually never been up there)
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
June 23rd, 2014 at 4:55:41 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

What about Mix? Don't they have a view as well (I've actually never been up there)

That's right - Mix was the place. I couldn't remember it. Of course, getting from Mandalay Bay to the Mirage right after midnight on the Vegas Strip will be a nightmare the likes of which I have not seen - and I've changed planes at JFK going from domestic to international on the other side of the airport.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
June 23rd, 2014 at 7:46:10 PM permalink
My wife and I were on the strip for NYE 2012/2103. I'm trying to remember when they closed the strip to traffic. Seems like it was around 8 or 9 PM, and I don't think it opened until after 2 AM, or maybe later. We stayed at Paris.

We are in our early 50s, but standing in the middle of LV Blvd watching the people show, and the fireworks, was unforgettable. It was REALLY cold that night, but it was worth every second we spent out there.

I am curious as to what the view from the top of the Strat, or from the VooDoo Club on top of Rio would look like, but I think I still would want to be on the street again.

My wife has been talking about going out for NYE again, so who knows, perhaps I will be checking back with you later.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
  • Jump to: