rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
May 13th, 2022 at 4:05:02 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

[. Seriously, if you found $1k on the street with no one nearby, what would you do?
link to original post

You know, if the laws changed so you were allowed to put the money in a savings account until someone claimed it, more people might get their money returned because more people might follow that requirement. You go report to the proper authority but then are allowed to put it in savings. Might call it a service charge for keeping it for the finder.

Just a theory. Of course, I don't know where i'm gonna spend that 3 pennies of interest. Not all in one place.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
May 13th, 2022 at 4:26:38 PM permalink
When I was living in Puerto Rico, a farmer dug up a 55-gallon drum filled with $20 bills. Then another turned up, and another. Before you knew it, the tiny town was flush with cash. Everyone was buying new cars, paying off houses and farms, etc,etc. The authorities warned everyone if they found money, even on their own land, that they had to turn it in and if no one claimed it, they would get most of it back.
I forget the details but few people came forward and a bunch of folks got arrested.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 269
May 13th, 2022 at 5:18:20 PM permalink
Didn't the guy convicted of kidnapping the Lindbergh baby claim he found the money?

It was many years before the traced money popped up. He claimed he found it in the attic of his new home I believe.

If he had turned it in his life may have ended different.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
May 14th, 2022 at 11:15:32 AM permalink
I guess if someone insists on taking a stack of found $100 bills, I suppose you could get a monogramed money clip, slip it on the stack before you turn it in. Usually they ask some specific questions of the person making the claim they lost it. Really low odds they wouldn't ask the person about that clip and the person won't get the details right or match the initials. So, Voila! You turned it in, and they couldn't ID the proper owner.

Of course, I think that's just a sneaky way to steal it,
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 269
May 14th, 2022 at 11:28:51 AM permalink
If you find a parked car with keys in the ignition can you take it because it's a lost and abandoned car?

(I know it's a stretch but hey it seems okay to take things left on the street)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 11
May 14th, 2022 at 12:10:41 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

If you find a parked car with keys in the ignition can you take it because it's a lost and abandoned car?

link to original post

A couple of my former colleagues lost cars that way.
So apparently, it can be done.
I never heard about any subsequent consequences for the other parties involved.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
May 14th, 2022 at 12:23:14 PM permalink

link to original post

There's a news item recently of a guy who went on the highways and towed stalled cars and sold them to a junkyard. He supposedly sold around 50 before the cops caught him, Junk yards are supposed have checks against buying stolen cars.
camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
May 14th, 2022 at 2:05:15 PM permalink

link to original post

While reading this thread, I thought of a similar scenario I remember from about 30 years ago. While walking through Westwood (a mostly retail area near UCLA), a buddy and I encountered a beemer that was parked in the street. The engine was running, and the driver’s door was wide open…

I won’t go into who did what.
* Actual results may vary.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 71
May 17th, 2022 at 1:29:27 PM permalink
A recent tale of leaving $200 in a slot machine.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
May 19th, 2022 at 11:36:10 AM permalink
I've been watching Reelz a lot whole working and this morning they had an episode of Cops where they set out bait wallets and what happens to the people who find them. A few hours later, in an episode of Jail, they were interviewing some of the same folks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.

• Jump to: