focd
focd
  • Threads: 19
October 16th, 2010 at 5:47:50 PM permalink
I'm just curious if they actually use the chip positioning system like place bets to determine who is where since I am not a come/don't come player for the come/don't come bets with odds.
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
October 16th, 2010 at 6:22:17 PM permalink
Quote: focd

I'm just curious if they actually use the chip positioning system like place bets to determine who is where since I am not a come/don't come player for the come/don't come bets with odds.

Not completely following this. Any area of the table where the dealer actually places the bet, has a very specific place for each person. If all you are doing is placing things like pass/odd and field bets, then no system is used for you. But if you just do a place bet on the 6, you have a specific place up there for your bets.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can break up the 4/5/6/8/9/10 numbers into 4 sections starting from the dealer. Don't Come, (whatever the opposite of place bets are), Come, Place bets. Each of those are broken up into 8 slots(I guess there are tables with 10 player slots, too). The same concept exists on every prop bet in the middle.
focd
focd
October 16th, 2010 at 6:52:25 PM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

Not completely following this.

My question was if they use the positioning system like the place bets for come bets and don't come bets that have traveled and end up in the box. And yes, is the system slightly different for the prop bets in the middle of the table? I never paid attention to how they position the chips in the middle of the table. I don't think books explain this either.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
October 16th, 2010 at 6:59:32 PM permalink
There's a position system for every long term bet on the craps table.

Short term (i.e. one roll) bets, like the junk in the middle, don't use the same system because, they are only one roll, and they are not that popular.

Regarding the Don't Come boxes. There is enough room for as many don't stacks as there are place/come stacks. The difference is, they don't need to leave room for the puck.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
focd
focd
October 16th, 2010 at 7:02:34 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

The difference is, they don't need to leave room for the puck.

Not understanding.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 261
October 16th, 2010 at 8:15:30 PM permalink
Quote: focd

Not understanding.

The "hockey puck" that marks the point number.

Dealers are rotated to prevent any sort of dealer-player collusion and to keep the dealers alert. This requires that a new dealer be able to approach a craps table and as soon as he taps in, know which chips are whose. That is why the dealers use care to position a player's bets as precisely as possible. However, the action is often fast and sometimes a dealer is looking elsewhere at a time a bet is made.

One incident involved my making come bets and the player beside me doing the same thing. We were each rather whimsical and I having taken a pause suddenly resumed making ComeBets. So I put my ComeBet out into the Come area on the layout in front of me but I happened to do this at a time when the dealer was looking elsewhere. The dealer then spotted the come bet in the come area and thought it belonged to the player beside me. So the dealer positioned it in the proper box but at the wrong location. When the bet won, the dealer paid off the player on my left who promptly picked up the bet and moved it over closer to where I was standing. We each knew whose bet it was but it was the dealer who had it wrong.
focd
focd
October 16th, 2010 at 8:23:43 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The "hockey puck" that marks the point number.

Yes, I understand what item he is talking about. What I don't get is what he meant by leaving room for the puck. So does he mean that if box is filled with bets, then the dealer can move the puck elsewhere? So how does a player know what the point in when joining midgame if this is so?
focd
focd
October 16th, 2010 at 8:25:05 PM permalink
from the original post continued ...
7) A 7 out happens but the dealer forgets to take back all the place bets. I've seen it twice. The stick always corrects the dealer.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 16th, 2010 at 10:31:47 PM permalink
In addition to superrick's ten, I've seen:

1. Dealers leave up a hardways bets after it was thrown softly (happens alot).
2. Dealers mispay center bets (happens frequently).
3. Dealers allow players to overbet odds or to put odd dollar odds on points of 5 and 9 (not really a dealer error).

I am always watching my action like a hawk and tend not to drink around the craps table. I am always making sure that I know what I am betting and that I get paid fairly after every roll. I tend to correct the dealers around most errors with the exception of leaving the center bets up.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
focd
focd
October 17th, 2010 at 6:18:04 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

1. Dealers leave up a hardways bets after it was thrown softly (happens alot).

I think this might happen often. So does the boxman pay attention to this? I suspect that they are bored sometimes and daydreams. Of course as a player, it is not really your responsibility to correct their mistakes, but at the same time, you wouldn't want them to think you're not telling them on purpose. If the stick forgets, then it should be fine if the boxman isn't paying attention. But will the boxman notice?

• Jump to: