5 votes (41.66%)
5 votes (41.66%)
2 votes (16.66%)

12 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 7th, 2012 at 1:40:31 PM permalink
The Nevada DMV just approved Google's request for a license for a "driverless" car on public streets. Would you go for the ride without a human behind the wheel?

As a Wizard aside, the plates on these cars will have "infinity" symbols to represent the future...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 7th, 2012 at 1:50:04 PM permalink
I would, I'd even be a test passenger, but it would depend on where. Inner city, where a malfunction results in a 25mph dinger, would be no problem. In my normal commute, where I average ~3 evasive manuevers for animals p/night and an accident is a 60mph dive off a cliff, through some trees and into water, not so much.

Can't be worse than the guy that I car pool with ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
  • Threads: 5
May 7th, 2012 at 2:09:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The Nevada DMV just approved Google's request for a license for a "driverless" car on public streets. Would you go for the ride without a human behind the wheel?

As a Wizard aside, the plates on these cars will have "infinity" symbols to represent the future...

The safety savings will (one day) be enormous.

So will the cost savings.

So will the time savings.

The only thing holding us back is the usual human inertia.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 7th, 2012 at 5:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: RaspberryCheeseBlintz

Quote: Ayecarumba

The safety savings will (one day) be enormous.

So will the cost savings.

So will the time savings.

The only thing holding us back is the usual human inertia.

I'm not so sure about the time savings. Imagine this car traveling on the Strip and trying to pull into a hotel driveway on a Friday evening. With so many jaywalkers, and the car in "don't run over the pedestian" mode, I don't think it would move for a few hours, gridlocking the traffic. The only way to get anyplace is to poke the nose of your car in the crosswalk, and creep forward as the pedestians continue to walk around your bumper. I can't imagine a computer program doing it safely, if it would do it at all.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 7th, 2012 at 8:15:21 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I would, I'd even be a test passenger, but it would depend on where. Inner city, where a malfunction results in a 25mph dinger, would be no problem. In my normal commute, where I average ~3 evasive manuevers for animals p/night and an accident is a 60mph dive off a cliff, through some trees and into water, not so much.

Can't be worse than the guy that I car pool with ;)

I would have thought that driverless cars would only work on special highways designed to handle steady long distance driving. I never thought of them as practical for inner city driving.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 8th, 2012 at 5:45:11 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I would have thought that driverless cars would only work on special highways designed to handle steady long distance driving. I never thought of them as practical for inner city driving.

On Top Gear, they tested a Merc out that had this. Clarkson took it around, both on their track, and then down the local roads (I think it was GPS guided for the general travel but was assisted by on-board radar for obstructions). He went down your typical small town roads with curves, traffic, roundabouts, and never had a problem.

Although, as Aye said, I can't imagine it working in congestion like D/T Vegas, NYC, leaving a sporting arena, etc
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
May 8th, 2012 at 6:28:14 PM permalink
This will never work in the US. Just imagine an accident involving two robotic cars. Who do you sue???
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
May 8th, 2012 at 7:01:14 PM permalink
@Weaselman
The owner of the car, regardless. I highly doubt the vehicle as driver (en vitro) would be permitted a liscense. I admit, a rewrite of legal language would be needed (re: driver vs. owner), which is plausible, and easy to legislate as an exception.

Reminds me of the "Johnny-Cab Chase" from "Total Recall".
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 11th, 2012 at 10:22:55 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

@Weaselman
The owner of the car, regardless. I highly doubt the vehicle as driver (en vitro) would be permitted a liscense. I admit, a rewrite of legal language would be needed (re: driver vs. owner), which is plausible, and easy to legislate as an exception.

Reminds me of the "Johnny-Cab Chase" from "Total Recall".

"Where am I?"

"You are in a Johnny-Cab!"
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 11th, 2012 at 1:29:54 PM permalink
Quote: Face

On Top Gear, they tested a Merc out that had this. Clarkson took it around, both on their track, and then down the local roads (I think it was GPS guided for the general travel but was assisted by on-board radar for obstructions). He went down your typical small town roads with curves, traffic, roundabouts, and never had a problem.

I can appreciate the technology, but I am just saying in the hands of the general public. If one guy hits a driverless car, then he will claim the driverless car was responsible. People will switch in and out of auto-pilot and all accidents will result in disputes. I can't imagine all driverless cars will spot and avoid potholes. It doesn't matter that a driver might hit the same pothole.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
May 11th, 2012 at 1:50:14 PM permalink
I would be interested in accident avoidance proceedures... shut off the auto-pilot is the easiest. ;o) Appologies to roaming dogs, cats, deer, moose, and bears.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: