Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 7th, 2012 at 7:19:59 AM permalink
First the Steelers release Hines Ward, now the Colts let go Peyton Manning.

Ok, let's be frank. Ward is a good enough wide receiver, but hardly among the great ones. Last season he barely registered. He's been playing for 14 years or so, which makes him a senior citizen of the NFL. And the Steelers ahve recruited several good WRs lately.

But Manning is one of the great ones in his position, which is also the most important position in the offense (if not in the team). Of course, he's also old, for the NFL, he missed one season due to injury and physical rehabilitation, and the Colts had to pay him $28 million just to keep him on the team.

In other words: no surprises, really.

But it does get interesting. ward may or may not play for another team, but Manning surely will. It's nto quite a repeat of the Brett Favre situation of a few years ago, but it's close. I foresee two scenarios:

1) He'll go to a team which currently has a good QB but not a great one, like Dallas, and who's had trouble either making it to the playoffs or past the playoffs, like Dallas. He'll lift the team for a season or two, maybe even win a couple of playoff games, and then retire.

2) He'll go to a team bereft of QB talent, such as Arizona, lift the team for one or two seasons, even win a couple of playoff games, and then retire.

Of course that's what happened to a certain Mr. Favre, too.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 7th, 2012 at 7:57:41 AM permalink
My guess is that Dallas no more cut Romo as their QB than Denver cut Tebow. Maybe they -should-,but I do not think they will. Arizona or New York Jets are my guess, though Seattle need help too.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
March 7th, 2012 at 8:08:27 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

My guess is that Dallas no more cut Romo as their QB than Denver cut Tebow. Maybe they -should-,but I do not think they will.

They won't. The problem in Dallas isn't Romo, it's the owner. As for tebow, I think he'll settle into the semi-obscurity of a one-season wonder, but I might be wrong about that. The other option is he'll catch up with Michael Vick as the multipurpose QB that couldn't win the big one.

Anyway, Dallas might benefit from manning, but that would mean cutting Romo (you don't demote a starter of Romo's calliber; you trade him). That might be a msiatke, but with the current owner it's hard to tell. denver won't even look at Manning.

Quote:

Arizona or New York Jets are my guess, though Seattle need help too.

Oh, the Jets need a new team ;) Seriously, it's institutional. Sanchez is good enough, and they have a decent receiver corps. For that matter they had the Favre, too.

Seattle would be a good place for Manning to do his journeyman bit, if he does, and Arizona would be perfect.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 7th, 2012 at 8:16:12 AM permalink
If someone in Denver had half a brain, they would get Manning, make Timmy #2, and teach Timmy how to win a Super Bowl and how to quarterback for the future.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 7th, 2012 at 10:11:36 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

If someone in Denver had half a brain, they would get Manning, make Timmy #2, and teach Timmy how to win a Super Bowl and how to quarterback for the future.

Tebow isn't gonna learn anything from Manning. He's too old and to set to become a Peyton Manning, look down, pocket passer. There's no point trying to make Timmy that sort of guy. He's a running, scrambling QB, and should be trained to get better at passing on the run, and making fast, better decisions in the heat of the moment.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 7th, 2012 at 10:16:34 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

They won't. The problem in Dallas isn't Romo, it's the owner. As for tebow, I think he'll settle into the semi-obscurity of a one-season wonder, but I might be wrong about that. The other option is he'll catch up with Michael Vick as the multipurpose QB that couldn't win the big one.

I think Dallas's problems are partly Romo. He's at the wrong club. I think he's a good qb, and nice guy, but the pressure of being a Cowboys QB is too much for him and he tries too much, with no-one telling him... Tony, you got other people to help you. I think Tony would be a great fit somewhere like Seattle, St Louis, Baltimore, where there's less intense scrutiny. I do agree more of the problem in Dallas is Jerry Jones though.

Quote:

Oh, the Jets need a new team ;) Seriously, it's institutional. Sanchez is good enough, and they have a decent receiver corps. For that matter they had the Favre, too.

Seattle would be a good place for Manning to do his journeyman bit, if he does, and Arizona would be perfect.

Sanchez isn't good enough, can't win his team over and is plain lousy at ball protection at times. Favre did okay there, apart from sending dick pictures to the ladies, but he needed a Running Game to take some pressure off. I think Manning would be a huge upgrade for the Jets, but I think there's a coaching mis-match in style, now I consider it.

Arizona would be a great place for him.... he has Larry Fitzgerald to pass to, and Larry is dying for a guy who can get him the ball.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 7th, 2012 at 10:25:30 AM permalink
FinsRule...

I think the Dolphins are the best spot for him, but no one else seems to agree.
Nareed
Nareed
March 7th, 2012 at 1:31:41 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I think Dallas's problems are partly Romo. He's at the wrong club. I think he's a good qb, and nice guy, but the pressure of being a Cowboys QB is too much for him and he tries too much, with no-one telling him... Tony, you got other people to help you. I think Tony would be a great fit somewhere like Seattle, St Louis, Baltimore, where there's less intense scrutiny.

All this tells me he needs a new coach. Of course that goes for Dallas, too. But then they did have a new coach this last season...

Is there any market with less scrutiny? Granted some fans are more, uh, ferociuos than others, but scrutiny these days is 24/7 while the season is going on (and nearly the same off season). In any case, romo would be acquired by a team as a savior rather than as a player, especially a place like Seattle.

Quote:

I do agree more of the problem in Dallas is Jerry Jones though.

It's too late for him to crawl on his knees over broken glass and beg Jimmy Johnson to come back, isn't it? :)

Quote:

Sanchez isn't good enough, can't win his team over and is plain lousy at ball protection at times.

Oh, he's not that bad.

Besides, isnt' there a law that forbids having two Mannings play in the same city? I'm sure I've heard about one.

Quote:

Favre did okay there,

Speaking of Favre, not that we are, did you know he played his first year for the Falcons and was traded?

Quote:

Arizona would be a great place for him.... he has Larry Fitzgerald to pass to, and Larry is dying for a guy who can get him the ball.

And he'd have a good coach who used to be a good offensive coordinator. That would help, too.
Nareed
Nareed
March 7th, 2012 at 8:14:29 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

FinsRule...

Once upon a time they did...

Quote:

I think the Dolphins are the best spot for him, but no one else seems to agree.

Fact is the Dolphins do want him badly, along with apparently half the League.

Now, if rumors are to be believed, they stand a good chance. One rumor is that the elder Manning doesn't want to play with an NFC East team because he'd face his brother's team twice a year and have a large influence on his playoff chances. The other rumor says he doesn't even want to play for an NFC team, because he might keep Eli from a Super Bowl.

These rumors would write off the Redskins, Cowboys, Cards, Seahawks, etc.

Of course, you should be aware no QB has ever won a Super Bowl starting for two teams. I think only one came close, Kurt Warner with St. Louis and Arizona (at that, the gods may have become confused and believed the Cards still play in St. Louis <w>)
  • Jump to: