Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1336
August 18th, 2011 at 7:38:34 AM permalink
One of my favorite time wasters is Hearts. Yesterday I was dealt this hand.

The odds of getting 10 out of the 13 hearts? 1 in 242,950.8. How about that!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 18th, 2011 at 7:45:33 AM permalink
I don't play hearts as much as I used to, but that's not a bad hand. You can get rid of the Qs when the clubs come out, and if there's a streak of diamonds and clubs you can get rid of your hearts.

Am I close to being right?

Maybe we can play online someday. How about a WoV Hearts tournament? Anyone interested? I was fodder for chess, but i should win a game or two at hearts ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 18th, 2011 at 7:53:21 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I don't play hearts as much as I used to, but that's not a bad hand. You can get rid of the Qs when the clubs come out, and if there's a streak of diamonds and clubs you can get rid of your hearts.

I couldn't help but try to shoot the moon with that hand, despite not having the ace of hearts. One reason was this was late in the match and I was way ahead, so could afford to take chances. So I passed the two diamonds and the two of hearts. Fortunately, when I played a high club that got passed to me, another opponent played the ace of hearts, and the rest was easy.

Maybe we can play online someday. How about a WoV Hearts tournament? Anyone interested? I was fodder for chess, but i should win a game or two at hearts ;)

I'd be up for that! Can you suggest a venue? Maybe if we get two more we could start with a friendly game.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
August 18th, 2011 at 8:05:44 AM permalink
Wow. Not only that, but the Black Widow too!

How did you do? Dump all those points on other people?

I don't see any way you can win a trick at the right time, so that you'd shoot the moon....

[edit] I stand corrected.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 18th, 2011 at 8:08:46 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I don't see any way you can win a trick at the right time, so that you'd shoot the moon....

As I wrote above I was lucky that one of other players played the ace of hearts on me when I played a high club. A lousy play, but I noticed the computer has been playing stupid lately.

It seems to me that if my win percentage gets to 47% or lower then my opponents play quite badly, and I win matches by large margins. However, as you creep up from 48% to 50% the game gets tougher. I have never been able to stay above 50% for long.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 18th, 2011 at 8:11:15 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Wow. Not only that, but the Black Widow too!

How did you do? Dump all those points on other people?

[edit] I stand corrected.

I thought the same as you. But I think what we're looking at is the hand pre-pass. After the pass, it's much easier, since the low diamonds are replaced by (apparently) a high club.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 18th, 2011 at 8:19:05 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I thought the same as you. But I think what we're looking at is the hand pre-pass. After the pass, it's much easier, since the low diamonds are replaced by (apparently) a high club.

I got two high clubs and a high diamond on the pass.
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
  • Threads: 2
August 18th, 2011 at 8:19:58 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It seems to me that if my win percentage gets to 47% or lower then my opponents play quite badly, and I win matches by large margins. However, as you creep up from 48% to 50% the game gets tougher. I have never been able to stay above 50% for long.

Your computer sounds tough. I have played on three different computers and always around 80 percent. I dont think my computer's play was getting tougher as my winning percentage improved. I love to change the opponent's names.
jc2286
jc2286
  • Threads: 2
August 18th, 2011 at 8:41:03 AM permalink

In some versions you can't dump a point on the first trick.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
August 18th, 2011 at 9:05:21 AM permalink
The only way I play computerized any more is to play for 104-104-104-0. And I don't really try, only sometimes do I bother to track the cards and figure out what's where. As soon as I get the Qs, I exit and restart.

I think I did that once, 4 shoots in a row to start the game. And it was against the old style hearts, in Windows Professional. I consider it a W if I get less than 10 before someone else gets 100.
NO KILL I

• Jump to: