Thread Rating:

gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 46
July 3rd, 2020 at 9:38:41 AM permalink
I had an unusually bad respiratory cold in January as well - slept for about 5 days. It would be wonderful if it was Covid but it seems so unlikely. I would certainly be interested in anyone gets a positive antibody test based on what they believe to be a January infection.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 212
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:01:14 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I had an unusually bad respiratory cold in January as well - slept for about 5 days. It would be wonderful if it was Covid but it seems so unlikely. I would certainly be interested in anyone gets a positive antibody test based on what they believe to be a January infection.

If you think you may have had it, ask your doctor to prescribe an antibody test. The test is free at quest lab with a doctor order (some fee without doctor order). And the quest test is a real blood test, not some new finger prick quick test that are turning out to be not all that accurate.

The antibody test can provide some peace of mind, although with this virus having already mutated and changed, I wonder about even that.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 177
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:09:18 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The antibody test can provide some peace of mind, although with this virus having already mutated and changed, I wonder about even that.

I posted this earlier, but since you brought it up I thought it worth posting again

this is what the CDC has to say on the subject:

Having antibodies to the virus that causes COVID-19 𝐦𝐚𝐲 provide protection from getting infected with the virus again. If it does, 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐨 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 protection the antibodies may provide 𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 this protection may last.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html
𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳.........𝖤𝖽𝗀𝖺𝗋 𝖠𝗅𝗅𝖺𝗇 𝖯𝗈𝖾
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:14:13 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

It would be wonderful if it was Covid...

Sadly, having had Covid doesn't seem to bring the same level of immunity we are used to have from flu viruses. Actually it may be the other way around - having had the illness might lead to predisposure to having/reactivating it easily later on rather than having immunity to it (like the hepatitis virus).

What the best thing is as of right now is to avoid getting infected for as long as you can.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 258
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:15:44 AM permalink
Let's not forget EB is in his eighties if I remember correctly.

Odds he caught Covid-19 in January, fought it off in his eighties on his own are probably more like 1,000,000 to one.

I doubt he will agree to get tested.

I have a neighbor who swears they had Covid-19 last summer. When you tell her it didn't exist her response is "It had to exist, because I had it"

Self-enforcing logic is difficult to overcome
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 21
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:21:00 AM permalink
I think he's just saying he had it so he can bash the current situation.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 258
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:27:13 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I think he's just saying he had it so he can bash the current situation.

Several people I know had a similar"bug" in January.

There definitely was something going around with similar symptoms.

And because many people are asymptomatic or do have a milder form of Covid-19, I understand why people will believe the January bug was it.

But from the science and history, I am pretty certain the bug going around was just something else.

With all the people including many here on this forum that got sick in January, there was practically no hospital visits necessary nor ventilators required.

Everything points to a different bug
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 170
July 3rd, 2020 at 10:55:41 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Several people I know had a similar"bug" in January.

Just for the record, I was also sick in January. It was upper respiratory though. Got pink eye as well. And a very persistent cough.

Whatever it was I assume it must of been peaking at that time. And maybe it was super contagious, but I didnít hear about hospitals filling their beds to overflow.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 212
July 3rd, 2020 at 11:08:04 AM permalink
That bug going around in Dec and Jan was the FLU. Happens every year. Lol.
Cleopatra
Cleopatra
  • Threads: 1
July 3rd, 2020 at 11:23:59 AM permalink
Day 5

Woke up this morning and felt more sore and weak than I did yesterday.

Sense of smell is def gone. Taste is still here - which goes against my understanding of the human body 🤷🏻‍♀️

The occasional cough / sneeze happens periodically. Still no fever - 97.8F this morning. No GI symptoms at all. Still have my appetite. Sore throat is back today though. Had a headache most of the morning as well.

Just still feels like the flu.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Just call me Cleo

• Jump to: