Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
November 11th, 2010 at 6:58:33 AM permalink
I'm going to be running the half marathon on December 5. I know, no big deal, but I find these big group races fun, and a good motivator to train for. A group of parents from my kids' school is doing it, and challenged me to join them. About five years ago I did the full marathon, which was simply too much. My time goal for the half marathon is two hours. Anybody care to join me?

More information: las-vegas.competitor.com/.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
November 11th, 2010 at 7:43:08 AM permalink
A half-marathon! That's awesome!

I ran my first 5k back in June, and I trained up for a 10k in September but never did it.

I want to do a half, but I'm not sure when. December is definitely too soon, especially because my running has fallen off a lot since September.

Good luck - maybe by next December I can do a half and join you!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 11th, 2010 at 8:00:23 AM permalink
Quote: ElectricDreams

Good luck - maybe by next December I can do a half and join you!

Sure! It is never too early to start training.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 11th, 2010 at 12:10:19 PM permalink
The half-marathon commemorates the journey of the runner Dyslexises, who ran from the plains of Marathon to Athens carrying the news of the Athenian army's great victory. However, at the halfway point (Mile Thirteen), he was pretty tuckered out, and stopped in a roadside tavern for a beer or two. Well, it was a hot day, and the beer was good, so Dyslexises got drunk and passed out, mumbling to himself, "They'll find out eventually." And you know the rest.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
goatcabin
goatcabin
  • Threads: 4
November 11th, 2010 at 3:54:01 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

The half-marathon commemorates the journey of the runner Dyslexises, who ran from the plains of Marathon to Athens carrying the news of the Athenian army's great victory. However, at the halfway point (Mile Thirteen), he was pretty tuckered out, and stopped in a roadside tavern for a beer or two. Well, it was a hot day, and the beer was good, so Dyslexises got drunk and passed out, mumbling to himself, "They'll find out eventually." And you know the rest.

Outstanding!!!! >:-)

When I was about 34, I trained for about six months to run a 10K race on the track, running it in 37:39, a little over six minutes/mile. After that, I was trying to decide whether to do speed work for a while and try to break 5:00 for the mile one last time (my best was 4:19 at age 19) or build up the mileage and shoot for the Sacramento International Marathon, which is run on a fast, flat course. I decided to go for the marathon. I had a road course measured out from Pinole High School out Pinole Valley Road for 10K, with each 2.5K marked, so I could train up to 20K. One day I was on a planned 15K training run, and I suddenly asked myself, "What the f*&%*% am I doing?" I stopped, walked back to my car and never trained seriously again.
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA
Cheers, Alan Shank "How's that for a squabble, Pugh?" Peter Boyle as Mister Moon in "Yellowbeard"
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
November 11th, 2010 at 3:59:05 PM permalink
Wiz, this just add points in your favor. I have alreay admired you before, even more now.
I occasionally run 5k or 6k, my business is cycling, mostly.
No bounce, no play.
inap
inap
  • Threads: 12
November 12th, 2010 at 8:15:44 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm going to be running the half marathon on December 5. I know, no big deal, but I find these big group races fun, and a good motivator to train for. A group of parents from my kids' school is doing it, and challenged me to join them. About five years ago I did the full marathon, which was simply too much. My time goal for the half marathon is two hours. Anybody care to join me?

More information: las-vegas.competitor.com/.

hi Wizard. i read in the 'Take Us to WOVCon 1' that you also did a triathlon! was it the full triathlon like the 'Ironman Triathlon' held in Hawaii? i don't like to run, but i did a full marathon when i was younger for one to do something with my then wife, (she liked to run and she did several marathons. in fact she beat me by about 15 minutes.), and second because i knew if i didn't do a marathon while i was young, since i don't like to run i probably wouldn't do a marathon when i got older. i just wanted to say that i did one in my lifetime. however i do like to ride bicycles, and did several century rides and did one double century ride. i could never 'stack' a century ride and a full marathon much less add a 2.4 swim that's required for the ironman triathlon! but like you said, to be a part of large events like this and to experience the excitment and energy of a large group with a single goal in mind is fun. actually thats why i'm going to vegas for new years eve, just for the experience. from what i heard this might be a mistake but i'm going with the frame of mind that this is going to be a unique experience, and once might be enough.

good luck in the half marathon.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 12th, 2010 at 8:30:50 PM permalink
Thanks for the kind words in the two posts above.

The did a triathlon "sprint," which is 1/8 a full blown triathlon. Yes, I know, no big deal, but I had to start somewhere. I'm going to do an "intermediate" or 1/4 version next year, and hopefully get up to 1/2. I'd be very proud of myself if I got that far. My main goal for 2011 will be climbing Mt. Shasta, Hood, and Rainier in June.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 13th, 2010 at 3:01:24 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My main goal for 2011 will be climbing Mt. Shasta, Hood, and Rainier in June.

I hate heights, so if you start saying you are going to do the Matterhorn or something I am tuning out [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
November 13th, 2010 at 3:56:10 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I hate heights...

In that case, I challenge you to ride the X-Scream at the Stratosphere.
  • Jump to: