Seriously? Insult all the book
buyers because you like Kindle?
I loathe Kindle, eye strain galore.
And I love the sight of books
filling my shelves. One of my
fave authors went on and on
in an interview on how he hates
Kindle.

On the other hand Stephen King was an early adopter of digital publishing, and has several Kindle-only stories. I've had a kindle for about ten years now. The convenience of being stuck somewhere unexpectedly and just being able to open the app on my phone and read, can not be denied. Plus I had to free up shelving for my record collection, so all the books went to the VFW.

Hope you enjoy the O'Brian books.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
August 8th, 2019 at 7:46:50 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

The convenience of being stuck somewhere unexpectedly

I'm sure it's convenient for travel.
But for everyday use, forget it.
And King may be a good author,
but he's biggest author/whore
for money there ever was. He'll
do anything to make a buck,
endorse anything, put his name
on anything. He even wrote a
book for contributions a few
years ago, anything to keep the
cash flow going. And he's worth
over $400 million, like he needs
the money.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
August 8th, 2019 at 11:01:57 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, people still buy books. How stupid can you be. What a waste of money. Only morons buy books.

So even this good-natured subject attracts self-righteous individuals who need to insult anyone who does not like they do!
And how counter factual ! Actually, the people who own books are generally óno, scrap that: are definitely less stupid than the rest of morons out there. Ever tried to read math on an electronic reader?

Actually, you donít « buy » electronic versions (of books, of music, of films...). You pay for a limited personal use. The day your provider goes bust, you are left with nothing. You cannot share it, lend it, offer it. What a sad individual is content with that?
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 8
August 9th, 2019 at 12:09:50 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I've always been a big reader. I only got
thru HS because I was reading all the time.
At least two teachers told me I passed
their class not on merit, but because I
read all the time they knew I wasn't an
idiot.

I read 5-7 books at once, which I understand
many people do. Hemingway had a book
going in the living room, bedroom, bathroom,
patio, and on his boat. I have four in my
bedroom, one on the front porch and one
on the back deck. I always have a book arriving
any day now from Amazon.

I discovered Bill Bryson a few months ago and
ordered 10 of his books. Mostly he travels
and writes about it, very funny stuff. I'm
reading two of his books right now. Also
Hemingway's Boat, which is great. I have
75 books on Hemingway and this might
be the best one.

I'm rereading The Stand by Stephen King for
the 4th time. Tried to read Tina Fey's book
Bossy Pants and can't do it. I can only take
so much whining about how unfair the world is
to women, and how hard balancing a family
and career are. Plus it's poorly written for
a person who's career is writing.

On the deck I'm rereading Bourdain's
Kitchen Confidential. On the porch it's
The Paris Wife, a fictional account of
Hemingway's first marriage.

I don't expect this thread to get much
traction, I suspect many here haven't
read a book in decades. Just a hunch.

I wish I were a reader like that. Iíve never been able to finish a Hemingway book (by the second half Iím just quickly skimming pages for something interesting)

Currently reading The Panther by Nelson Demille. Unfortunately this is one of the only book types that will keep my attention.

May I ask why you reread books, especially ones like Kitchen Confidential? I was unable to read it once
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
August 9th, 2019 at 2:42:00 AM permalink
"Hawaii" by James Michener
what a masterpiece
a fictionalized history of Hawaii from the time of the first contact of the natives with Europeans and Americans
many Caucasians saw the natives as savages but others fell in love and married native women and raised mixed race families
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
gordonm888
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 32
August 9th, 2019 at 5:44:53 AM permalink
"Painting the Darkness" by Robert Goddard - a mystery/crime novel.

Stephen King has written that Robert Goddard is one of his favorite authors. I agree, he is one of my favorites as well.

Robert Goddard has the same name as the pioneer rocker scientist, so you need to google "Robert Goddard novelist."
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
August 9th, 2019 at 5:51:08 AM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

So even this good-natured subject attracts self-righteous individuals who need to insult anyone who does not like they do!
And how counter factual ! Actually, the people who own books are generally óno, scrap that: are definitely less stupid than the rest of morons out there. Ever tried to read math on an electronic reader?

Actually, you donít « buy » electronic versions (of books, of music, of films...). You pay for a limited personal use. The day your provider goes bust, you are left with nothing. You cannot share it, lend it, offer it. What a sad individual is content with that?

This is a huge issue with me, actually. What does happen to my 1000+ Nook books if B&N goes down? My library with them is largely stored in their cloud. I'm guessing I'm going to have to DL all my content to a hard drive in my house and somehow access it, or DL to a series of mini SDs and do the awkward memory changeout each time I want to read something.

Needs to be looked at before I lose access. Not sure what my options are.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 17
August 9th, 2019 at 6:14:26 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

And King may be a good author,
but he's biggest author/whore
for money there ever was.

Doesn't he sell the movie rights to a lot of his books for $1?
Lock him up!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 176
August 9th, 2019 at 7:29:03 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This is a huge issue with me, actually. What does happen to my 1000+ Nook books if B&N goes down? My library with them is largely stored in their cloud. I'm guessing I'm going to have to DL all my content to a hard drive in my house and somehow access it, or DL to a series of mini SDs and do the awkward memory changeout each time I want to read something.

Needs to be looked at before I lose access. Not sure what my options are.

Can you download ebooks? I donít think you can with Kindle. At least Amazon isnít going anywhere in my lifetime.

Before my cataract surgery I preferred hard copies. Since then, it is easier to read on a screen. I use an iPad. I had several Kindles, but having only one device is best, for me.
NO KILL I
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
August 9th, 2019 at 7:59:54 AM permalink

Actually, the people who own books are generally óno, scrap that: are definitely less stupid than the rest of morons out there.

Nope
Simply owning books is not a mark of intelligence
Reading books is the mark of intelligence

Limited personal use???? If I want to read it again I can. I can borrow it again and again and again. Unlimited personal use. Its like a book on a shelf except its digital in the virtual world that can be accessed no mater where I am on the planet. Having a book on a shelf is not easily accessible. I'm going on vacation soon, hundreds of miles from home therefore no access to anything on a shelf at home but through kindle attached to my library, a gazillion books at my fingertips
I can share a book. Hey buddy, this book is fantastic, I recommend you borrow it for free from the library onto your kindle.
I've copied and pasted passages to friends.
My provider goes bust?????????
I am confident my library will exist for the next hundred years, well after my death. No worries there.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: