Thread Rating:

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 15
July 17th, 2020 at 1:21:11 PM permalink
I have a hardcover of Catton's The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War in a box somewhere. I fondly remember looking over the pictures and maps.

billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 171
July 17th, 2020 at 2:31:48 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I have a hardcover of Catton's The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War in a box somewhere. I fondly remember looking over the pictures and maps.

My first book of history was the Junior edition of that book. The battle maps have a lot to do with my lifelong love of toy soldiers and dioramas.
billryan
billryan 
July 17th, 2020 at 2:44:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The CW was a big deal in the 60's,
lots of nostalgia involved. Lots of
people had grandfathers who were in
the war and they heard first hand
stories when they were kids.

Lots of nostalgia in the 60's in older
people for the 1900 era of their
youth. Before cars, radio, planes,
almost nobody had a phone. Women
wore long dresses with bustles.
Horses pulled all the wagons, there
was a bandstand in every small town
where they held concerts all summer.
A life the opposite of the one they
lived in 1962. Watch the Music Man,
life in 1910 was very much like that.

In 1910, my Grandfather was most likely in a royal prison for speaking up for Irish freedom. My Grandmother was a struggling tenant farmer on land my family had owned for centuries but Queen Victoria gave to some lord for killing brown people somewhere. In 1917, they left Ireland and arrived in America with the clothes on their back, a promise of a job and an unexpected bun in the oven.
Life was very different.
My father was born in 1925, the same year his father died. His mother took her three youngest children back to Ireland where my grandfathers cousin stood up and married her. In 1928, they returned to America just in time for the Great Depression.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
July 17th, 2020 at 2:47:11 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

My first book of history was the Junior edition of that book. The battle maps have a lot to do with my lifelong love of toy soldiers and dioramas.

Civil War reenacting is huge now. It
began in the early 60's with the
centennial of the CW period.
I've known some reeinacters,
they're pretty odd people.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 38
July 18th, 2020 at 9:17:55 AM permalink

I would consider "The Stand" to be riveting for the first five-sixths of the book but I was very unsatisfied with the ending.
I liked his experiment with The Green Mile where he took a single book and sold it in installments, with each installment pretty much ending with a cliff hanger. A throwback to yesteryears dime novels and Republic serials.
My personal favorites are Needful Things and Misery. I've never read Dolores Claiborne but enjoyed the movie.

I agree with you about "The Stand." Riveting, but ending was juvenile fantasy.

I forgot about Needful Things! I did really enjoy that novel. The movie was pretty faithful to the book but somehow wasn't as good.

Quote: unJon

Shawshank Redemption is notably missing from your list. Like Stand By Me, based on a King novella.

You are right, of course. Funny, I never think of Shawshank as an adaption of a Stephen King work. I love the Shawshank film -it is so rewatchable - but can't quite identify why we all enjoy it so much. Maybe because everything is very good to perfect - casting, pacing, dialogue, acting and (of course) story.

King's novels seemed to decline after he was hit by a vehicle and injured terribly. I've always wondered about that. Maybe he could write a time travel novel where the accident didn't occur and he was a better writer, lol.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 18th, 2020 at 10:49:42 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

King's novels seemed to decline after he was hit by a vehicle and injured terribly. I've always wondered about that.

He suffered a lot of ongoing pain
and still does. Tends to interfere
with your creativity. What he was
doing walking down the side of
road every day is a mystery. Pretty
stupid. When I walked my dog I
would drive to a safe place, road
walking now is just asking to get
hit.
billryan
billryan 
July 22nd, 2020 at 2:28:02 PM permalink
I started to read The Gray Ghost by Clive Cussler, but didn't get through the second chapter. In the mid-1960s, newspapers ran a syndicated comic strip based on his book " Raise The Titanic" and I really enjoyed it. In college, I read a Dirk Pitt book and was unimpressed. A few years ago I read his two books on lost treasures and liked them, but his novels pretty much suck.
Does anyone read his stuff?
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 22nd, 2020 at 2:50:14 PM permalink

I started to read The Gray Ghost by Clive Cussler, but didn't get through the second chapter. In the mid-1960s, newspapers ran a syndicated comic strip based on his book " Raise The Titanic" and I really enjoyed it. In college, I read a Dirk Pitt book and was unimpressed. A few years ago I read his two books on lost treasures and liked them, but his novels pretty much suck.
Does anyone read his stuff?

I've seen his books for years but
never trusted someone so prolific.
He's written over 80 books, at
times 3-4 a year. That's way too
many for them to be much good.
I've never seen his books discussed
anywhere, for good reason, probably.

I just scanned a few reviews on Amazon
and he gets a lot of critics who say
he writes on a Jr High level. That would
explain all the books, there were lots
of Hardy Boys books too. Easy to write.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 155
August 24th, 2020 at 2:31:38 AM permalink
unless I missed something nobody mentioned Ray Bradbury
and wow was he great - what an imagination
not going to point out any one specifically - many will want to read everything he wrote
there are a few of his short stories free at this link:

https://www.shortstoryguide.com/ray-bradbury-short-stories/
𝘈 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.... ᴴᵉʳᵐᵃⁿ ᴹᵉˡᵛⁱˡˡᵉ
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 24th, 2020 at 10:23:33 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

unless I missed something nobody mentioned Ray Bradbury
and wow was he great -

Just read Martian Chronicles and
you'll be hooked.

• Jump to: