Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
September 25th, 2010 at 9:11:35 AM permalink
I'd like to propose a Dice Wars tournament. Here are some suggested rules:

1. Registration will close 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Sep. 29.
  2. Each participant shall play seven games, one each for 2 to 8 total players.
  3. One point shall be awarded for each game won.
  4. Cherry picking boards is not allowed. You must accept the first one presented.
  5. If there is a tie for first place, then the same rules shall apply to break the tie, until it is broken.
  6. Obviously, this shall be on the honor system. If you cheat, and there is an afterlife, you agree that you will be a slave of those participants who didn't cheat for one million years.

I'm all ears to better ideas. This was just to get the ball rolling.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
September 25th, 2010 at 9:31:30 AM permalink
Sounds like fun. I'm in.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 25th, 2010 at 9:41:22 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'd like to propose a Dice Wars tournament.

I'm always game for something I can play at all, although I expect to get clobbered, not finding the computer "easy" to beat.

Looking over the website, I see no way to verify results. How about being allowed to discard a game in which you do not survive the first 3 turns?

Consider me registered, but i am getting more practice in with my new understanding, any game I play after your closing time will be official. If my performance is shameful I *will* lie about *that*. [just kidding][I think!]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
September 25th, 2010 at 1:32:09 PM permalink
You can count on me!
No bounce, no play.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
September 25th, 2010 at 2:49:08 PM permalink
I have not used it yet, but there is a site called kdice.com that has Dice Wars as a multi-player game! You get to play against 6 other humans.

You sign in with your Facebook or Twitter account. I could not get in, until I signed into Facebook and then connected to KDice. I am going to create an account and see what the site is like.
Could be a great vehicle for a WoV Tournament!
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 25th, 2010 at 3:36:46 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I have not used it yet, but there is a site called kdice.com that has Dice Wars as a multi-player game! You get to play against 6 other humans.

I just tried that via my Facebook account. I sat down at a 7-player game. The first several turns I tried to secure a spot in the north-east of the board, which I did. Eventually it came down to a 4-player game, each about equally powerful. For a while everyone was passing every turn, building up power. However, when everyone had 8 on each territory it was blatantly obvious that the player in the center and in the south-east made a pact to take me out. There is a chat feature to the game, and I could see some words exchanged, although not directly "Let's attack the guy with 0 points." With no hope to survive a 2 against 1 fight, I went kamikaze on the first player to initiate the attack. I didn't go well, and was wiped out.

While it was a nice change from playing the computer, it brought back everything I hate about Risk. That is has little to do with strategy, and everything to do with alliances. I think kdice might be better without a chat feature, to discourage that. Then again, I might not be complaining if I was part an alliance, as opposed to the victim.

I'd be interested in other comments. Maybe we should try to make it a thing.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 25th, 2010 at 6:54:00 PM permalink
You made it further than I did then. I couldn't tell if I needed to buy the membership to obtain buy-in points or not. It did seem like the freeroll was possibly where I would need to head.

I was hoping it would be like some of the other game sites, where we could create our own closed table, and have private games amongst the WoV set.

I agree that no alliances should be allowed. Perhaps someone can figure out a good way to enforce it. I suppose we could all agree to rat out anyone who tries to ally with us, and use public flogging, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 25th, 2010 at 8:17:02 PM permalink
I was confused at first how to get started, but figured it out. Just my Facebook membership got me in, and I don't know anything about buy-in points. Coincidentally, I just signed up there about two weeks ago. I don't know that site well at all, but didn't see any closed table capability.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 25th, 2010 at 8:31:10 PM permalink
Well, welcome, and let me be the first to tell you to stay away from Mafia Wars on Facebook.
It is a stupidly brain dead game that sucks you in, and steals your life away from you a few minutes every day.
(Yeah, I'm an addicted daily player)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 25th, 2010 at 10:00:57 PM permalink
Why not.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 25th, 2010 at 10:13:03 PM permalink
I played three more games of kdice, and lost early on in all of them. I wonder if there is unspoken agreement to go after new players first. You can tell from their ranking and points.

After four games I tried to play a fifth and it told me I didn't have enough points. Apparently it costs money to buy points to play. To heck with that. If I wanted to pay to play something, I'd play online poker, where at least I have a chance to make something.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 25th, 2010 at 10:53:11 PM permalink
I'll post my paltry record of 4-3 first. It's a semi addictive game to be sure. I lost on the 4, 7 and 8 but won the 2, 3, 5 and 6 player games. The 7 and 8 are tough if you start late because you get can picked off pretty easily. Position is key in this game, and though you don't build alliances per se, it seems that when you don't attack another army for a while, the other army seems to stay somewhat friendly towards you. I got unlucky in the 4 player game as I couldn't establish position and was stuck in the middle of two other attacking armies.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 26th, 2010 at 4:19:18 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'll post my paltry record of 4-3 first.

I consider that quite good, so at the very least do not worry about winding up in the cellar.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 26th, 2010 at 6:30:06 AM permalink

I played three more games of kdice, and lost early on in all of them. I wonder if there is unspoken agreement to go after new players first. You can tell from their ranking and points.

After four games I tried to play a fifth and it told me I didn't have enough points. Apparently it costs money to buy points to play. To heck with that. If I wanted to pay to play something, I'd play online poker, where at least I have a chance to make something.

Crap. I was afraid that may be the case, that you had to pony up money if you wanted to play there any length of time.

edit: fix wording error.
rant: Why is it I can proof read my post twice, and POST it, and then as soon as I see it in the thread, see every mistake I missed?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 26th, 2010 at 6:37:39 AM permalink

Why is it I can proof read my post twice, and POST it, and then as soon as I see it in the thread, see every mistake I missed?

It isn't just you brother.
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
September 26th, 2010 at 8:07:01 AM permalink
Wizard, is it easier to win when there are more players or less in Dice Wars?? I felt the sense that the more players, the higher the probability of win, but perhaps my trials were too limited. My rationale is that the more players, the more like other people will attack each other allowing you to have some more time to build and attack. Could be way off here.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 26th, 2010 at 10:28:46 PM permalink
Here are the results of a test run, by number of players:

2: L
3: L
4: W
5: W
6: L
7: W
8: W

Just over two more days to register.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 26th, 2010 at 11:35:13 PM permalink

edit: fix wording error.
rant: Why is it I can proof read my post twice, and POST it, and then as soon as I see it in the thread, see every mistake I missed?

It's because the font in the blue posting boxes is terrible for proofreading. I haven't seen that font since my grandma's manual typewriter. The font the posts actually appear in is far more readable.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 27th, 2010 at 3:16:37 AM permalink
Still practicing here! I need it too, getting better. Here is my greatest come-from-behind so far:

Should have taken an intermediate shot, but you can see the map is identical. I had a hunch I would win. I was just about to accuse the computer of cheating, I am still mystified as to how the bot players can be so aggressive in the beginning. Green player got the biggest, but ran into a series of bad luck and couldn't win 8 stack vs 8 stack for nothing. And these two duked it out weakening themselves. I refused to attack Yellow-Green for the longest, then ate him up to get strong. Got the W.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 3:27:35 AM permalink
Nice!
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
September 27th, 2010 at 7:40:53 AM permalink
I'd like to register and play.

Will the final W/L record be the score, or are more points given for defeating more players?

Also, should we be playing our official games now, or wait until after the close of registration?
-Dween!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 7:43:48 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

I'd like to register and play.

Will the final W/L record be the score, or are more points given for defeating more players?

Also, should we be playing our official games now, or wait until after the close of registration?

Consider yourself in. The W/L record will be one point per game.

You should wait until the close of registration to play your games.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 27th, 2010 at 8:33:13 AM permalink
I don't think I officially declared I was in yet, so I am in, please.

Although, I am really hating this game with 7 players and the late positions I have been getting recently. Hard to play when you are down to 1 space prior to your first turn.
Still searching the web for the elusive multi-player version of Dice Wars that we can use here.
Ericayne
Ericayne
  • Threads: 0
September 27th, 2010 at 9:22:54 AM permalink
I would like to submit my entry into this tournament! Playing this game could cost me my job and the respect of my wife & kids...but if I could win that virtual dice wars trophy, it will be all worth it!
RPToro
RPToro
  • Threads: 7
September 27th, 2010 at 11:29:01 AM permalink

stay away from Mafia Wars on Facebook. It is a stupidly brain dead game that sucks you in, and steals your life away from you a few minutes every day.

This. My wife asks me why I do it. Her quote - it's a "time suckage" and nothing more. What gets me is that there must be people who spend all kinds of $$ on this pointless game...!
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 27th, 2010 at 1:08:48 PM permalink
I suggest the following rule modification:

Starting with the games of 4,5,6,7, and 8, the player may choose to not play any game where they are not in positions 1,2, or 3.

So, if a board comes up in the 7 player game, and you are in position 5, you have the option to play that game, or you may elect to request a new board. If you play the first board, then that is your tournament entry result.

You ARE NOT allowed to select another board if you are in position 1,2 or 3.

Again, this will have to be on our own honor, as there is no way to check for compliance.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 27th, 2010 at 2:57:38 PM permalink

I suggest the following rule modification:

Starting with the games of 4,5,6,7, and 8, the player may choose to not play any game where they are not in positions 1,2, or 3.

So, if a board comes up in the 7 player game, and you are in position 5, you have the option to play that game, or you may elect to request a new board. If you play the first board, then that is your tournament entry result.

You ARE NOT allowed to select another board if you are in position 1,2 or 3.

Again, this will have to be on our own honor, as there is no way to check for compliance.

I am not finding going last in a 4-8 player game is so bad, the others may, or may not, have knocked each other down.

the toughest situation seems to be to go second in a 2 player game. I'm thinking best of 3 in each category to be reported.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 27th, 2010 at 2:57:38 PM permalink
mysterious double post deleted
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 3:03:47 PM permalink
I think I favor going late in a game with a large field. There is a risk of not having much left by then, and sometimes you get wiped out completely, but hopefully the other players will have spread themselves thin so you can more easily connect your territories, or move into a desirable area. You could also argue that going first is similar to going last, by just passing your first turn immediately.

One rule that might address this concern is a Top Dollar kind of rule, where you can refuse a board up to two times. If you do refuse twice, then you're stuck with the third board. I prefer to just play the first board you get, but don't mind being outvoted.
Ericayne
Ericayne
September 27th, 2010 at 4:00:35 PM permalink
My vote is also for playing the first board you get. Don't change this rule.
Perhaps we can award extra points (bonus) for winning from an "unfavorable position" (games with 6 or more players??). This way, we could avoid ties and would encourage contestants to play from any position on the board....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 4:11:37 PM permalink
I'm still not sure what an unfavorable position is some of the time. I think this is the biggest factor in a 2-player game. If you go second, I think your odds are signfificantly worse than going first.

One idea would be to play the first game offered where you go first.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 27th, 2010 at 7:19:18 PM permalink
Quote: Ericayne

My vote is also for playing the first board you get. Don't change this rule.
Perhaps we can award extra points (bonus) for winning from an "unfavorable position" (games with 6 or more players??). This way, we could avoid ties and would encourage contestants to play from any position on the board....

Due to others feeling they are not at a disadvantage when playing from late position, I withdraw my request for the right to reject certain games, and instead, go with the original rule of having to play the first board presented. In my limited experience, I have done much better in 7 player games when I start early, but that could have just been due to the board configuration I guess.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 8:54:18 PM permalink
With 27 hours before action, I say let's stick with the original rules. How about the winner can make one rule change, if he wants, should there be another tournament?
Lucyjr
Lucyjr
September 27th, 2010 at 9:46:39 PM permalink
Please consdier me registered. When are games to be played?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 27th, 2010 at 9:52:23 PM permalink
Quote: Lucyjr

Please consdier me registered. When are games to be played?

You're in. Games should be played after 12:01 AM PST Sep. 29. Preferably by the end of that day. Please see the first post for the full rules.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 28th, 2010 at 9:56:22 AM permalink

With 27 hours before action, I say let's stick with the original rules. How about the winner can make one rule change, if he wants, should there be another tournament?

Oh boy, the possibilities are endless.........

I foresee a speed event, where the object is to play 3 or 4 games, with your win loss record AND total time from start to finish as part of the total results (We won't play all 7 games to prevent spousal warfare). Of course, there is the matter of having to win the first one. lol
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 28th, 2010 at 10:37:10 AM permalink
might be the wee hours [eastern time zone] of the 30th before you get mine.

I have learned some more about strategy... top secret till after the match! That doesnt mean I know I will do well! [g]. Everybody please chat about strategies when reporting results, I'm curious.

How many entries are there?
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
September 28th, 2010 at 11:03:01 AM permalink
I'll join the fun. I haven't played Dice Wars for quite a while, but I used to play it regularly. Good idea!
Ericayne
Ericayne
September 28th, 2010 at 11:04:39 AM permalink
Question for the board(Wizard):
I have experienced the following scenario several times while playing and wanted to know how would you resolve this particular situation:
1. 2 players remain. you dominate one part of the board & the computer dominates the other part. 8 dice max on each territory.
2. However, your territories are connected only by a "bridge" territory - which you engage each other endlessly - trying to take over "the bridge". And even when you are successful, your reward for success is being attacked by multiple territories in retaliation. The owner of the bridge never lasts long.....

After a while, I just end the game...high five the computer screen & call it a draw. But for the sake of "tournament" play, what should you do?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 28th, 2010 at 11:11:30 AM permalink

"the bridge".

In theory, one player is stronger than another, and has the odds of persisting on his side. Are mathematicians able to calculate the odds of one side winning?

One way to tell if "evenly matched enough" to cause a stalemate is to note that both sides are guaranteed to fully get all reinforcements by an easy margin.

should you be able to declare a draw and get half a point???
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 28th, 2010 at 11:21:05 AM permalink

After a while, I just end the game...high five the computer screen & call it a draw. But for the sake of "tournament" play, what should you do?

Good question. I've been in that situation lots of times before. I call such boards with two large masses connected by just one border "butterfly boards." I suggest that if there is no progess about 15 minutes of playing, then you call it a draw, and get half a point.
Ericayne
Ericayne
September 28th, 2010 at 11:28:46 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

One way to tell if "evenly matched enough" to cause a stalemate is to note that both sides are guaranteed to fully get all reinforcements by an easy margin.

Thanks! I forgot to add that bit of info. Both sides were able to reach full reinforcements after every turn - with extra dice to spare. This happened to me twice....the first time - I owned 50% of the board. The 2nd time - I owned maybe 11-12 territories - so the computer had a clear advantage. But...because of the bridge, we were at an impasse....
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
September 28th, 2010 at 1:46:14 PM permalink
Getting back into the swing of Dice Wars, I made a trial run.

2 Players - Won
3 Players - Won
4 Players - Won
5 Players - Lost
6 Players - Won
7 Players - Won
8 Players - Lost

So, 5-2 overall. Somehow, I doubt I'll do that well when it counts!
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 29th, 2010 at 2:56:56 AM permalink
Official entry started.

# playersplyr start posResultComments
Loss had a chance. lost 3 key battles with my 8 dice against 6
Loss no chance. spread all over board. Early Surrender
Loss cannot seem to win any of the key battles
Win Finally.
Loss That was fun. NOT! At least it was quick.
Loss Pathetic. spread all over the board with no chance to connect
Loss Prior to the event I guess I used up all my good games, 'cause this SUCKED.

If anyone else wants to use this format, I will post the code string here.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2010 at 3:12:04 AM permalink
all you have to do is hit 'quote' and you have it, thanks.

I see you must have gone second in your first game. For morale purposes, I am not going to start there.

# playersplyr start posResultComments
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2010 at 3:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: GenWyzgy

So, 5-2 overall. Somehow, I doubt I'll do that well when it counts!

yep, you shouldn't have wasted it!
miplet
miplet
September 29th, 2010 at 6:45:24 AM permalink
If I were the kind of person who believes in luck, clearly I should have went to the casino instead of wasting it all on a dice game. :+)
2 went first won
3 went second won
4 went first won
5 went second won
6 went first won
7 went second lost
8 went sixth won
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2010 at 7:07:28 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

If I were the kind of person who believes in luck, clearly I should have went to the casino instead of wasting it all on a dice game. :+)
2 went first won
3 went second won
4 went first won
5 went second won
6 went first won
7 went second lost
8 went sixth won

You may get the honors here, sir.

I'd say a player needs both luck and a good strategy. One element that is driving me nuts at the moment is the bad luck of having one of the Bots get very dominant before I have a chance to take him on, the other Bots blowing themselves out. All the Bots are very aggressive, that almost means for sure one of them will get lucky, certainly pretty often anyway.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 29th, 2010 at 7:56:56 AM permalink
what has me frustrated today is the number of battles I am losing when my 8 dice go up against the bot 6 dice, whether I am on defense or attacking. I seem to be losing a clear majority of them.
In the 3 player game, I got myself into a nice corner position where I had great protection, only to watch all my reinforcements get stacked on worthless rear positions, and the bot got reinforced on the front line. Lost a winnable position because I could not even battle it out. By then I had 6 positions left and the enemy was maxing out on reinforcements with many in the bank, so I white flagged it.

waahhh
miplet
miplet
September 29th, 2010 at 8:29:49 AM permalink

what has me frustrated today is the number of battles I am losing when my 8 dice go up against the bot 6 dice, whether I am on defense or attacking. I seem to be losing a clear majority of them.
In the 3 player game, I got myself into a nice corner position where I had great protection, only to watch all my reinforcements get stacked on worthless rear positions, and the bot got reinforced on the front line. Lost a winnable position because I could not even battle it out. By then I had 6 positions left and the enemy was maxing out on reinforcements with many in the bank, so I white flagged it.

waahhh

Attacking winning % from here
8 attacking 6: 84.4%
6 attackng 8: 12.2%
  • Jump to: